Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to install knoppix (HD install)

how to install knoppix (HD install)

hey,

i'm using knoppix (live cd) for some time and I want to install some programs, but almost every program says that it can't write to the filesystem (probably because these files are on the cd).
    because of that and more (have a proper linux) I wanted to install knoppix on my hd, and I hv 2 questions:

first : how I install knoppik into my hd? what is the command or where I find it?

seconed : can I install it in external hd? the problem is that knoppix don't see that hd, only after it loads all the drivers.

thanks.

Senior Member registered user
    first: to install knoppix to HD the command is 'sudo knoppix-installer'.

second: You may be able to install to the external HD, but check: Is the external HD bootable?

hey im doin that today also. i had it workin. i had my accounts i added software and everything its great. im havin a bit of trouble now because im new to linux as you can see by my name but heres how u do it. i got it from a website i cant remember.

Installation Procedure
    To get Knoppix installed onto your hard drive:

1. Boot the Knoppix CD.

2. When the boot prompt comes up, choose your language.
    Most of us speak English, so we'll type:

boot: knoppix lang=en

then press ENTER (you don't type the 'boot:' part, of course)

3. Wait till the system is fully launched, including the KDE desktop

4. Press CTRL-ALT-F1, to get a root console. You should see a shell prompt

5. Type: knx-hdinstall

6. Follow the guided installation menus. This will include:

* Creating a Linux partition (at least 2.5GB
    * Creating a Linux Swap partition (at least 256MB)
    * 'Mounting' the Linux partition as root
    * Initialising the swap partition
    * Copying all the required files (automatically)
    * Setting up networking
    * Setting passwords
    * Setting up the bootloader (Note: take care with this stage - it could render your system incapable of booting into Windows. If you really need Windows, then it might be a good idea to set up GRUB Bootloader with a 'chainloader' entry, so that you can dual boot. Working this out is an exercise left to the reader - there are too many possible scenarios for me to cover in this short guide. Also see man grub and the files in /usr/share/doc/grub)
    * Rebooting (without the CD)

7. When you've rebooted Knoppix from your hard disk, click on the KDE Control Centre icon in the launcher at the bottom of the screen (icon of a colour monitor with a card in front of it)

8. Within the Control Center, click on Personliche Einstellungen

9. Click on Land und Sprache

10. Choose the locale and language of your choice

11. Click on Andwenden at bottom of that window

12. Close and restart the Control Center

13. Click on Peripherals, then Keyboard, and choose your preferred keyboard layout (which will probably be US.English. Click OK and close the window

14. Press CTRL-ALT-F2 to get to the root console, and log in as root (using the password you chose when you ran the installer)

15. (Optional) - type apt-get update (followed by ENTER). This will update your list of available packages, and takes about 5-10 minutes.

16. Hey, presto, you've got a fully installed GNU/Linux desktop

From here on in, you'll probably want to fine-tune a few things, set up themes, backgrounds etc. But most of the hard work is already done for you!

And lastly, note that Knoppix is based on Debian, which is arguably the finest GNU/Linux infrastructure available. To learn more about your system, and how to add/change/remove software, go to the Debian website and read the documents. If you get really stuck, start up X-Chat and log into irc.debian.org or irc.openprojects.net and join channel #knoppix. That is one busy chat room, with Debian Linux experts present 24/7, willing to help. Please also know that, even though Knoppix is based on the Debian distribution, your enquiries in #debian may not be welcomed.

hey again,
    thanks for the long and very detaild answer.

but how is it possible that my external hd is bootale?

usually sometime when linux (or windows) boot up they find the necessary drivers.
    so i thought mabye it is possible to start booting from the knoppix cd and in the middle of the booting to find the hd, or maybe to install linux on small partition in my laptop hd and the rest on the external one

if someone knows that this isn't possible please write me.
    I don't have enough hd for both windows and linux in my laptop hd - only 10GB.

thanks again, shimi

Re: how to install knoppix (HD install)

Quote Originally Posted by shimi
    hey,

i'm using knoppix (live cd) for some time and I want to install some programs, but almost every program says that it can't write to the filesystem (probably because these files are on the cd).
    <cut>
    I think that your problem may be caused by the read-only mounting of the hard disk.
    In fact, when knoppix is booted from the cd, by default it mounts all the found hd partitions in read-only mode, to avoid any accidental damage to the stored data.
    You can enable writing to the hard disk by remounting the partition in read-write mode: simply right click on the partition icon in the desktop, and select the menu command "remount in read-write mode" or "change write flag" (or something like that, i don't remember it exactly).

See also http://download.linuxtag.org/knoppix/KNOPPIX-FAQ-EN.txt

galaxy

thanks,
    but I can't write to my hd is because it's in ntfs.

what I want to do is to install knoppix on the external hd (I will make a partition on it just for linuk), but since it is external (firewire hd) I can't boot from it.
    so, I wondering/thinking/hoping if I can just boot fron the cd and then continue with the hd as regular.

shimi

i think what you want is

knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1 (where hda1 represents a normal harddisk partition, you will need to change that line to the parameters of your firewire drive)

boot the live cd, after it finds your FW drive hit cntrl-alt-f1 wich takes you to the shell, type in that command and all should be good, then you can reboot with the cd (or create a floppy boot disk) and where it gives you the option type in

boot: knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1

no gaurantees as i dont know if it will read the FW drive when it boots up.

you can also copy your ISO image to your NTFS drive and boot from that

boot: knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1/KNX.iso (replace knx.iso with your image name, alternatively if you only have one knoppix iso, you can use

boot: knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1/K*.iso

hey,
    thanks. it looks exactly like what I need

but I didnt understand what the different between "knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1 " and "boot: knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1 " (tohd and fromhd)

I undestand that after I install knoppix th the hd, I boot from the live and in the middle of booting (after it finds the hd) I need to stop is (CTRL+ALT+F1) and then type....? what to type?

thanks

and the idea of copying the iso to the ntfs hd is a great idea. Im goint to try it now

boot: knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1 Copy CD to HD partition and run from there from the boot menu

boot: knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1 Boot from previously copied CD-Image

boot: knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1 Access Image then boot from previously copied CD-Image (for NTFS or ReiserFS)

Junior Member registered user
    Hey this is exactly what I am looking for for a while now. Seems to be easy!
    (I have an USB drive which should be the same!?)

@shimi
    Did you try it - does it work. Does Knoopix mount the extrnal drive in time?

@arakele
    Do I have to prepare my HD drive or ist this been done from the "knoopix tohd" command?
    I assume there will be some partitionig neccessary and I do not to spend the full drive (a main part should stay as a FAT partition as it is)

Thanks in advance
    Thomas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast