Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Klik compatibility...

Member registered user

Klik compatibility...

Update: klik should now work with the most recent versions of Gnome and Ubuntu.

First off, let me say that I think klik is amazing step forward in Linux user-firendliness, this program rocks!

Anyway, I wanted to know if klik was compatible with more distros than the ones mentioned on the site?

I'm pretty sure the distro must be Debian based. But it seems there's something about Knoppix that klik needs?

I tried running it in Ubuntu and DSL, and neither worked. But they're both based on Knoppix. I'm not sure when it appeared but I think it ask (during the wget attepmt) about some KDE file? Neither Ubuntu or DSL have KDE so I was just wondering if klik depended specifically on any KDE files?

Senior Member registered user
    Damn Small Linux is strange, very strange! I tried using the ooo2 klik on it and had to tug and pull at a few things to get it close to working when it failed due to a lack of freetype (forget exact lib). Amongst my travels I discovered that while typing "firefox" at a command line would launch it, typing "which firefox" would return nothing. At that point I pretty much decided that dsl was too strange to spend much time on, it felt like I was working on Knoppix's linuxrc rather then a complete system.

Does klik depend on KDE? It shouldn't anymore (it should use kdialog|Xdialog|dialog and konqueror|firefox|elinks)! In my dsl explorations I came up with a couple more possible tweaks to the installer and other scripts to try and make it more robust but it probably should work (as long as your distro has the base packages assumed present by klik which is the lowest common denominator of the packages in all the supported distributions).

One thing is that there is a call in the installer for klik to kbuildsyscoca and if that fails it won't try and launch the klik store, but starting firefox, konqueror or elinks and going to klik.atekon.de should let you use klik.

If you can give some more details of what you are trying, when it fails and what errors it gives perhaps we can figure out where and why it is failing on ubuntu (i.e. is the installer failing to install, are recipies failing to build or the applications failing to run). Is this the ubuntu livecd or an installed system?

As far as I know the ooo2 cmg will actually run on a very wide range of systems (amongst other things it is built using ziso rather then cramfs so the cramfs tools/modules are not required)!

DSL has not many libraries installed, so the individual klik installations would become relatively large, and since DSL has its own system (My DSL), I didn't try to add DSL support to klik yet.

As for Ubuntu, I have no experience but I imagine it should be quite straightforward to get klik running there. The only catch would be that klik'd KDE apps would become very large (approx. 20 MB extra) because the KDE libs would have to be downloaded with each klik'd app. For this reason, I haven't yet tried to get klik running on Ubuntu, but as I said, it would probably be possible.

Greetings,
    probono

I am using the Ubuntu Warty Live CD which is based on Morphix (great work Alextreme!) while I am typing this.

Hard to believe, but Ubuntu contains neither dialog nor Xdialog nor kdialog.

Here is a workaround to get klik work on Ubuntu anyway:
    Code:
    wget klik.atekon.de/client/install -O -|sh
    wget *****/dialog_1.0-20041222-1_i386.deb
    dpkg -x dialog_1.0-20041222-1_i386.deb .
    export PATH=./usr/bin/:$PATH
    Then install an application on the command line with
    ~/.klik xvier

And finally run it with
    ~/.zAppRun ~/Desktop/xvier.cmg

Of course, you can install not only xvier but other packages as well.

This is a workaround solution for Ubuntu Linux, but surely klik could be more nicely integrated if anyone is interested.

Greetings,
    probono

Ubuntu

Well, Ubuntu is trying their best to get rid of everything Morphix for their next release. Basterds, seems they don't love me anymore

Anyway, would you mind doing a test with the new LightGUI 0.5-pre4 livecd from morphix.org? Surprised me that you got Ubuntu working as it doesn't have KDE libs, and the libraries in LightGUI will be the minimum for all of the major-morph's too come (and lots of derivatives start from Light). Anyway, I haven't been very uptodate on klik-matters, but would love to pitch in if I can get it working on Morphi's

Member registered user
    probono, how can I workaround Ubuntu if

doesnt even work!? I install dialog and xdialog from apt-get, but this is what i get...

Code:
    ubuntu:/home/stealth# wget klik.atekon.de/client/install -O -|sh --13:02:52--  http://klik.atekon.de/client/install
               => `-'
    Resolving klik.atekon.de... 134.169.172.48
    Connecting to klik.atekon.de[134.169.172.48]:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 11,383 [text/plain]

0% [                                     ] 0             --.--K/s             sh: line 151: /root/.kde/share/services/klik.protocol: No such file or directory
    find: /root/.mozilla/: No such file or directory
    100%[====================================>] 11,383         1.79K/s    ETA 00:00

13:02:59 (1.79 KB/s) - `-' saved [11383/11383]

sh: line 442: kbuildsycoca: command not found

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth870
    probono, how can I workaround Ubuntu if

doesnt even work!? I install dialog and xdialog from apt-get, but this is what i get...

Code:
    sh: line 442: kbuildsycoca: command not found
    Don't worry about that, it's a little bug in the install script but it's already done everything it needs to so you should be good to go!

Basically it does kbuildsyscoca && ndialog "You can now install, do you want to open the klik store" but instead it should just run kbuildsyscoca and then seperately do the ndialog so non=kde systems don't get hung up on a failed kbuildsyscoca.

So fire up (or restart) firefox or elinks and go to "klik.atekon.de" and you should be able to use klik.

Re: Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Alextreme
    Anyway, would you mind doing a test with the new LightGUI 0.5-pre4 livecd from morphix.org?
    Alextreme, it would be great if you could do some testing in Morphix.

Greetings,
    probono

Re: Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by probono
    Quote Originally Posted by Alextreme
    Anyway, would you mind doing a test with the new LightGUI 0.5-pre4 livecd from morphix.org?
    Alextreme, it would be great if you could do some testing in Morphix.
    Well I just did a quick check. The installer works fine from the command line except in bombs out failing to run kbuilsyscoca so it doesn't offer to open the klik "store".

Trying to use firefox to klik in an application failed. Seems like it was misdiagnosing the dialog type to use as I had to do "DIALOG=dialog ~/.klik xvier" to get it to actually get/install a program.

Next there's no cramfs support (I assume) so while it built a cmg it couldn't mount it?

So ultimately I just ran "/tmp/klik/xvier/wrapper" and xvier worked fine.

So it works ... just not very nicely ... yet

Quote Originally Posted by probono
    I am using the Ubuntu Warty Live CD which is based on Morphix (great work Alextreme!) while I am typing this.

Hard to believe, but Ubuntu contains neither dialog nor Xdialog nor kdialog.

Here is a workaround to get klik work on Ubuntu anyway:
    Code:
    wget *****/dialog_1.0-20041222-1_i386.deb
    dpkg -x dialog_1.0-20041222-1_i386.deb .
    export DIALOG=dialog
    export PATH=./usr/bin/:$PATH

Then install an application on the command line with
    ~/.klik xvier

And finally run it with
    ~/.zAppRun ~/Desktop/xvier.cmg

Of course, you can install not only xvier but other packages as well.

This is a workaround solution for Ubuntu Linux, but surely klik could be more nicely integrated if anyone is interested.

Greetings,
    probono

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast