I installed Knoppix 3.7 on a Compaq Presario V2030 turning it into a dual boot Knoppix/Debian - XP machine in order to learn linux. The current problem I am trying to solve is how to get the built-in NIC configured and working. It works fine for XP and the live CD of Morphix; I can browse the web without problems. However, if I boot from the live CD of Knoppix, I have to use the nodhcp cheat, and if I boot from the HDD install of Knoppix, the card will not work at all. I've confirmed that the correct drivers are being loaded by comparing the modconf settings between Morphix, which works, and Knoppix, which doesn't, and they are using the same drivers (Realtek RTL-8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter support, WinBond W89c840 PCI Ethernet support). I've compared the lsmod settings and noticed that while both mii and crc32 point back to 8139too for both distros, Morphix points 8139too to eth0 but Knoppix simply states that it is not in use or says 'initializing'. Also, 'cat /proc/interrupts' on Morphix shows that the Realtek card is using IRQ 10 while doing it on Knoppix shows no entry for the IRQ settings.

Based on some reading that I've done, I tried 'mii-tool -r' and 'netcardconfig'. Both lock the terminal session. Also, when shutting down Knoppix from the HDD install, the system locks when trying to shut down eth0.

I've considering installing Morphinx over Knoppix but would rather not, primarily because Knoppix is what I've concentrated on as the first distro of linux to learn as opposed to SuSE or Red Hat, and secondly because Morphix is not picking up my battery and can't give me a power level status while I'm working. I've also noticed some other quirks with Knoppix on this laptop but would like to get the NIC working first so I can do 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade' to see if those quirks go away getting the updates.

Can anyone suggest anything that I try, do, read that might help me solve this problem?