Thread: Out of working space !

Out of working space !

hi ive done a succesfull hdinstall knoppix 3.6 , on a pc and a laptop, but the same problem is now showing

when you right-click and get the folder properties it shows 0mbs left in 2.4gb ! ok im out of space BUT, Qparted, CFdisk etc all show that Hda1 is 9gb

why cant i use or see the missing 6.6gb as im running Desknow / Limewire / Medio all of which need large drive spaces

Help

fdisk -l shows the following
    start finish blocks id system
    /dev/hda1 1 1216 9767488 83 linux
    /dev/hda2 1217 1277 489982 82 linux swap
    /dev/hda3 1278 2219 7566615 83 linux

yes i can coppy and set links to hda3 , but it still leaves a very small area to actually work in
    ps im still a relative noob

ok ive done the detective work my self

if you install knoppix it automaticlly dumps everything into a single partion and sets its limits at 2.4gb
    to do this properly it seems you have to create ext3 partions of varying sizes and redistribute folders accordingly. reading from debian install docs
    ie
    hda1 - /etc /bin /sbin /lib /boot /root /mnt /dev
    hda2 - swap file
    hda3 - /usr
    hda4 - /home
    hda5 - /var /opt
    hda6 - /tmp

the /etc/fstab.conf meeds altering and a reboot performed

i have not tried this yet BUT from reading the debian install partions and size is very dependant on how you want the box to work
    i have still to work out how to make the box boot normally after ive done these alteations

if any one can confirm and help i would appreciate it

Senior Member registered user
    Partitioning is really up to the user. IMHO, this is how I would set up the guidelines:

Newbies:
    It's simply much easier to have just 2 partitions: root and swap.

Intermediate to expert:
    This group may be the most variable, some would start splitting more partitions for more security and/or reliability.
    The basic reliable option: you start out with at least 3 partitions, root, /home, and swap.
    Some would add /var for slightly increased security.
    Some might include /usr and /tmp partitions as well but I feel this might be a bit overboard. Note /usr uses the most space as it houses all of the binaries so therefore you would allocate the most space to this paritition.

Experts, Gurus, and Linux Masters:
    This group would probably have a partition for every slice in the linux userland.

As for me, I use a basic 4 partition scheme: root, /home, /var, and swap with /tmp linked to the /var partition. Having a separate /var partition increases security in case you get rooted, and once it fills up, it won't take out the rest of the linux installation. Having a separate /home is important for saving your data, especially in the event you would have to reinstall linux. I don't bother with a separate /usr partition because the binaries change all the time when you do upgrading anyway. You could also have /etc as a small separate partition because it holds all of your scripts, especially your carefully handcrafted scripts.

Let's assume you have a 10 GB hard disk, here's what I would suggest:

root- 4.5 GB
    /home- 4 GB
    /var- 1 GB
    swap- 512MB

As you can see, that's pretty small, but it's fairly distributed enough that you have room to upgrade and download things. If you have a larger disk, you would give more weight to the root and home partitions while keeping var and swap the same so you'll have more room to grow for a much, much longer period of time. Also, you might want to move swap to the end of the disk, as you're not going to expand that anyway.

HTH,

Durand