Thread: Firefox and Remastering Problem

Junior Member registered user

Firefox and Remastering Problem

Here is my problem....

I have used the KNOPPIX-REMASTERING script and created a custom RunLiveCD with extra game programs and edited the KDE menu to fit my needs and saved this. After everything was finished (just a little over 600mg) and testing in the chrooted envirnoment and then a successful CD run and test I realized I forgot to add FireFox. I went back into my working copy on the computer and added FireFox in a directory of the KNOPPIX user (/home/knoppix/firefox). I tested from "inside" (chrooted) and set everything up. I then exited into root and did the rm -fr /etc/skel then mv /home/knoppix then chown -R root:root /etc/skel. I then exited and did the process to clean up and then make the ISO.

When I tested the CD the custom splash screen was gone and then KDE custom menu was gone being replaced by the standard KDE menu and the custom Firefox Application Button icon was missing BUT the other previous buttons were there.

I've tried several different combinations to locate the problem but everything still turns out the same. The Firefox directory is still in /home/knoppix location and the total size indicated the new size. I also tried to put the Firefox directory in /opt with the other changes but it stilled turned out the same!

Anyone have some thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Richard-

thoughts? I installed firefox on my remaster and the mozilla menu entries worked fine.

try running firefox from a shell, all the stuff you've mentioned is menu related.

maybe its not copying out of /etc/skel everything?

I worked on it a little more using the previous 'master' CD that I know works with everything OK. So I started with a fresh remaster then did a 'standard install from the firefox-installer and same thing. I them wiped everything and tried it with a 'pre-existing' directory copief from the Debian 'host' systems...same error. I was using 1.0 Firefox so I reverted to a .8 and you guessed it...same problem. I've got 3 more variations planned to test what part of the process is causing the problem...BUT it's almost like it doesn't want Firefox!

Will keep update in a day or so...

Oh, incase anyone is interested. This is a RunLiveCD for Libraries or even college labs. I removed or "hid" some of the Linux utilities and programs and have added more games, OpenOffice and Mozilla with a custom menu to make it easier for patrons. I have nicknamed it LibraryLinux. I'm still working on getting someone to host the ISO for a long term. We are kind of strapped for bandwidth but I hope in a few days to have an ftp server up with the ISO for a limited time. I will post a note when I get ig up...WITH OR WITHOUT Firefox!

Thanks,
    Richard-

Senior Member registered user
    Sometimes editing system-wide configurations instead of user-specific configurations will fix problems like that. Directories in /usr/share are system defaults for things that are also found in /etc/skel which are user defaults. Knoppix menus have plagued me in my own remaster, but enough tinkering eventually gets it straight.

If all else fails you can always place a firefox desktop icon much like windows' IE desktop icon.

Thanks, I'll check out the 'global' menu issue. I had thought about the icon thing on desktop but have not gotten that far yet in testing.

Thanks again,
    Richard-