Thread: Can't Mount hda1 from my network

Can't Mount hda1 from my network

I'm on a network, and I'm trying to mount my harddrive on Knoppix, however, when I type in:

mount /dev/hda1

I'm given this message:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1, or too many mounted file systems

I realize that I am mounting a harddrive with a few hundred users on it. Is this the problem? I'm new to Linnux, so I don't have an extensive knowledge yet, but I'm learning. If you could help me, that would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Can't Mount hda1 from my network

Quote Originally Posted by Skaster
    I'm on a network, and I'm trying to mount my harddrive on Knoppix, however, when I type in:

mount /dev/hda1

I'm given this message:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1, or too many mounted file systems

I realize that I am mounting a harddrive with a few hundred users on it. Is this the problem? I'm new to Linnux, so I don't have an extensive knowledge yet, but I'm learning. If you could help me, that would be greatly appreciated.
    What type of network? What do you mean there are a few hundred users on the hard drive? Is this drive (partition actually) that you are trying to mount actually on the computer that Knoppix is running on, or is it elsewhere on the network? Do you see a littel icon on the Knoppix desktop that says "hda1"? Can you open it by clicking that?

The network is just the Novell for Windows with a few hundred clients able to access the network. The partition I'm trying to mount is the main C: drive. I need to get at the config/ folder to do a password recovery. I can't open hda1 by clicking on the icon because it isn't mounted yet.

The network is just the Novell for Windows.... I can't open hda1 by clicking on the icon because it isn't mounted yet.
    I'm not clear yet. If this is a Novell file server that you've booted Knoppix on, then you need to find out what type of file system it is. It's been about 8 years since I've managed some Netware servers (I expect there have been changes since then). At the time Netware used their own fies systems on Netware servers, and I have doubts that Knoppix can mount those. If Novell for Windows uses some sort of Windows file structure, then you should be able to mount it - I can certainly mount mine by clicking on the desktop icon.

I'm pretty sure it's all windows structured. There are 8 different partitions, specified as Drives C, E, F, Z, etc. Do I need to somehow say that I want C to be mounted? I'm so confused...

This is exactly what shows up:

mount /dev/hda1

How does one fix this? What exactly does it mean?

I'm pretty sure it's all windows structured. ....?
    This is exactly what shows up:

mount /dev/hda1

How does one fix this? What exactly does it mean?
    Back to my last post - that last time I used Netware it was not a Microsoft compatable partition. I very much suspect this is the case here, but I'm certainly not saying I know that for a fact. I don't know what Novell for Windows is, as compared to Netware 3 or Netware 4 or Netware 5 or so on. You could easily determine the partition type a number of ways. One would be to simply check your documentation. Another would be to run DOS from a floppy and see if it can see and access the partition. Yet another would be to run partitioning software and see what the partition types are (use care and a little common sense here, look but don't make any changes with the partitioning software). See the man page on mount if you need and want more help with it, but the simple fact is I have an icon on my Knoppix desktop for every partition that Knoppix can open and I can mount that partition by clicking it.