Thread: A Knoppix secondary disc?

Junior Member registered user

A Knoppix secondary disc?

I'm still fairly new to linux, but I was thinking. Most desktop computers now adays have two cd/dvd drives; would it be possible to create an optional second disc that could contain, say, a collection of linux/knoppix manuals and documents to help learn linux? I was thinking you could either use a boot option to enable the use of the second disc, or it could just automatically detect it during boot and use it.

I know that the main goal of knoppix is probably to be an easy one-disc "pop-it-in-and-boot" linux solution. But if people are using knoppix to try out linux and learn commands and try out the software, a second disc that adds on some manuals and documents to the desktop would be really useful. Knoppix is an excellent learning tool, and an additonal disc that could further help learning would be invaluable. Hell, you could even add manuals on how to recover from disasters, and how to recover data, for people who are using Knoppix as a rescue tool.

I honestly wouldn't see a reason to use the second disc for additional programs though... it gets to the point that if you really need aditional space/programs, you just install it the HD. But I really like the idea of something that teaches linux and knoppix.

I was just reading that they would have loved to have added the Knoppix Wiki but couldn't due to the space requirements... well, this would be perfect for it! What do you all think?

Senior Member registered user
    once you get the KDE up and running, you will be able to open the other CD/DVD drive up without any hitches... i know i can... but i dont know about making an auto run program that will run the programs off that... if you make a customized disk which actually run those commands that alow that... then maybe... but i dont know, never tried it...

Hell, you could even add manuals on how to recover from disasters, and how to recover data, for people who are using Knoppix as a rescue tool.
    well... we are getting alot of posts of that lately... but when knoppix runs, it only opens the drives to read only... which is a problem... but there are rescue programs out there...

Senior Member registered user
    You can put cmg files created by klik on your second disc and hence have another 700MB of compressed software.

Greetings,
    probono