Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USB Hardware detection problems

Hope This HELPS

I have the same problem as well (using Logitec usb mouse and keyboard). I read somewhere on a Mandrake forum (when I tried that distro) and there was something about "noapic"

When you are at the boot screen, type "knoppix noapic" (without the quotes).........this has worked for me......my only problem is that I don't remember what file to change, to add this to, so it is automatic.

Also, I can't get my printer (HP officejet V40) to work. It is a USB on a usb hub and when I install it under CUPS I get that the test print was sent to the printer, but nothing happens. NOW, I thought that I read somewhere as well, that the "noapic" command does something about the USB hardware detection, and this could be my printer problem.

I hope the above info will help any of you who have the mouse and keyboard problem. Please, if anyone knows of the problem that I'm having with the printer or knows how to get around the "knoppix noapic" command at boot, please let me know. Distro works, but would like it to automatic at startup.

Thanks

for my hp psc2210 I had to download and install hpijs from the hp website. This was the essential piece of glue to get the HP printer to work under knoppix. comes with instructions for how to install in linux and check if it is working.

to get my usb printer icon in Kprinting manager added, I got error message that the usbdevfs was not installed on running the printer install wizard and for my hdinstall had to add the following line to fstab
    none /proc/bus/usb/ usbdevfs defaults 0 0
    I am not sure why I needed this since I am a newbie. but it worked. the error message went away and my printer icon installed and my printer works just fine.

Summary,
    suggest searcing the HP site for HPIJS .

Senior Member registered user
    Thank you dmiller for posting what you did to solve your problems. No doubt it will help some other noob on down the line.

USB Detection problems

When you are at the boot screen, type "knoppix noapic" (without the quotes).........this has worked for me......my only problem is that I don't remember what file to change, to add this to, so it is automatic.
    Thanks for this, it seems to have solved the problem of my USB Keyboard and Mouse!

Now I just need to get my Fujitsu USB ADSL modem to work.....

mouse ifeel usb hazardly detected

hello to all

cd konppix 32 10 mib,french and freeduc 3.1 beta 2

i find:

my logitech usb ifee mouse are hazzardly detected,
    then i reboot from xp(windows) to knoppix 3.2 10 or freeduc3.2
    the mouse are ok,(teted 10 *)
    but if i boot directly from knoppix (power dow) the mouse are not find !!!
    the autoconfigure bare are smaler then the mouse are not find
    and i can see :
    "usb device 2 is not claimed by any active driver"
    (tested 10*)
    the os continue to boot but no mouse are "usable" in the kde destop

secondo (sorry not a mouse bug)

the format of a floppy df0 are somme bug,
    the format icone are not correct,
    i must go to console and type
    fd format /dev/fd0 to give a good format floppy disk

bye ave a good day...

[edit]
    Please don't cross post I have removed the duplicate. Stephen
    [/edit]

Hmmmm. Let me guess . You're working on Packard Bell I suppose ?
    These BIOSes are indeed very tricky .
    You've gotta juggle around with 'reserve USB irq' ,the ACPI modus,PNP yes/no ,and legacy USB keyboard.
    Beside that for a last try you try to free up irq (by disabling com and lpt ports,onboard audio etc.)
    greetzzz...

compaq usb keyboard issues

Same thing only the noapic switch didn't work for me. I know the myconfig=scan did however. Do I need to disable the legacy usb support as well as the command line?
    Any help would be appreciated... thanks

found it

I've been messing around with multiple usb webcams and imagine what turns out:

When using multiple usb devices,the best thing to do is to put each device
    on their own controller.
    With webcams you'll get I/O errors else.
    I said controller NOT usb entrance.
    So first check if you motherboard has more then one onboard ,else you'll have to use an extra usb-pci card.
    Nevertheless investing in an extra USB 2.0 card for 40$ is not the end of the world.

greetzzzzzz,

VIA chipset non-working USB keyboard and USB mouse solution?

My system is a Shuttle XPC with the SiS chipset. My USB keyboard and USB mouse wouldn't work in Knoppix either. I got it to work by doing the following:

BIOS settings
    Under "Integrated Peripherals" change the USB Access Interface from EDB Bus to PCI Bus. (I did this for USB0, USB1, USB2, and USB2.0.)

As for the KNOPPIX cheatcode, I used noapic but I'm not sure whether that had an effect or not. My guess is that the EDB Bus isn't being recognized properly by HotPlug.

BTW, in the motherboard manual, the EDB Bus is described as the "Embedded(MuTIOL) bus". (It also says it's supposed to be faster than the PCI bus.) I wonder what that is... Time to whip out Google.

Good luck!

-calp

Junior Member registered user
    I've had this same problem with my Compaq USB keyboard and optical USB mouse. I'll try the solutions suggested here.

Interestingly, the MEPIS live cd (which is based on Klaus's work) recognizes them with no problem. That is no slam on Knoppix as I love "playing" in linux with Knoppix.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast