Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Newish laptops running Knoppix -- pls post here

Knoppix on a Toshiba Satellite M35X-S149

I’ve just posted my experience with Knoppix on a Toshiba Satellite M35X-S149:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20042
    Most things work fine (including the 1280x800 wide screen!), with a few glitches.

Member registered user
    I have a hp pavilion ze4500 I'm using knoppix 3.8.1 & 3.9.1 Both will boot and both will run, albeit with some glitches, I have an AMD Athlon 2400+ w/1024MB DDR SDRAM. It has booted best w/ the noacpi option. Be sure your disk is clean and that the download will pull up on a comparable desktop (so you know it works). I tried every version from 3.3 through 3.7 without success. It wasn't until the adition of the unionfs that I was finaly able to access the I-net. I did get 3.6 to boot and while I got 3.7 to boot it kept crashing no matter What I did. Like I suggested I did use 3.7 on the home desktop a hp pavilion 733n. If the salesperson isn't willing to let you boot a live CD standing beside you (he might learn something) then you really don't need to purchase from them. There ARE other sources to purchase, especially when they know that the ability of the equiptment to load your disk is a purchase point.
    I wish you good luck and I have heard that some of the intel chip/cpu's will not run Knoppix/linux uner any conditions.

Captain Cautious

Hi I am runnig knoppix on a Fijitsu-Siemens Amilo k7600 and works fine with knoppix, used versions are 3.4 till 3.9 and all the hw works execpt the build in 56 Winmodem.

Member registered user
    I know this is somewhat incoplete but I hope it is useful. I used Knoppix 3.8 with each machine. I didn't get the exact compaq model as the section manager, well read on-

I recently started the process of evaluating laptops for replaement of four next year. I did NOT evaluae HP as I already know that they tend to configure their hardware so that it works with Knoppix/Linux only with some serious reconfiguration and workarounds unless they set the machine up for their proprietary Linux.
    I went to Best Buy who is the largest supplier in the area. Forst I looked at whatwas available. I limited the systems to the following base requirements. AMD cpu with 32 or 64 bit processor, 256-512 ram prefferably DDR or SDram

Toshiba 10721 - 360J series with Intel Celeron will not load, Knoppix hangs before hardware detection.

Gateway7510GX 64bit SCSI
    Had to noscsi, noacpi. Bios overrides noacpi and will not load apm. Loading is very slow but it does function. The right click function won't work on the touchpad but does work with external mouse. many small glitches.

Compaq 64bit AMD
    Clean load. Pointer and tap sensitivity needs to be decreased significantly and the keyboard accelerator needs to be at or near minimum. The capslock is reversed and will not clear. TO do standard you need to hit the shift key.

At this point I was preparing to do some program testing when the department manager came up to me and even knowing I was looking at replacing potentially 4 laptops he told me that I couldn't use the knoppix disk. His rational was that if we let one person do it we have to let everyone do it. He wasn't flexible nor did the concept of watching to insure the disk the potential purchaser uses isn't toxic or loads running programs.
    He got a little pissy then and I told him that if I wanted to mess up his laptops, I didn't need the Knoppix disk to do it. I was asked to leave the store. I let the store manager know abut the potential sale he lost the store and she was pretty red faced when I walked out.
    Incidently I posted this to the general laptop forum by mistake. hope it doesn't cause too much confusion.

By My Hand ~ I Remain,
    Captain Cautious 2 Aug 05

I have been using Knoppix v 3.9 on my new Gateway 6810GZ laptop. It's a Centrino chipset with a Pentium M 1.7GHZ, 512 MB Ram, 60GB HD, Intel Graphics, etc...

The Conexant sound is not detected and my efforts to get it to work has been unsuccessful. I was able to get the wireless to work only after changing out routers.

This laptop is a variation of their M360 and it is only available at Best Buy....but I got it for 899 with no rebates.

Senior Member registered user

Tried Several Notebooks

Hi,

I have tried three notebooks so far and the results are as follows:

Dell Latitude CP-R 400 PII 256 Meg. Runs 3.4 and 3.6 without cheat codes.

Sony PCG-FR130 AMD Athlon 2000 M with 512 Meg Ram. Runs 3.4, 3.6, 3.8.2, 3.9, and the LinuxTag 4.0 DVD. ALL without cheatcodes. The only real issue I encountered was with DVD-R Media. The DVD Drive apparently does not read ANY DVD-R media reliably. It prefers DVD+R media and worked without any issues once I burned +R copy of DVD. A firmware update did nothing to correct this, but it did improve the CD writing slightly.

Compaq R3XXX Series, AMD Athlon 2800M, 512 Meg Ram. Runs 3.9 without cheatcodes. Will be trying 4.0 DVD sometime soon. Sorry, this is my girlfriends machine and I do not know the exact model number since she is not here right now and neither is the notebook. I just get to back it up and fix it if it breaks, just like her other PCs, Heating and Air Conditioning, Electrical Wiring, Light Fixtures, and her car, and the rest of her house and......... Just kidding, She is not quite THAT bad.

These units do not have wireless network cards and I do not use or test the modems. Displays are acceptable and sound works on all. Internal Network Cards and PCMCIA network card in the Dell worked without issues. I do not really put Knoppix through the paces and a more experienced user might notice something amiss. All seemed to be running ok and temperatures seemed normal. (I have a digital infrared thermometer and informally compared temps unders Windows and Knoppix and saw little difference.) Printing was OK once I figured out how to configure various units. 3.9 seemed more reliable for printing with some HP printers, but it may just be my imagination.

USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 apparently worked on these units as equipped. The Sony and the Compaq are equipped with IEEE-1394 and apparently worked. I did not try burning disks or large file transfers on external devices, but the limited trial was successful and both external drives I tried were recognized in most Knoppix Versions as I can recall. I did not connect any Camcorders or Digital cameras, so I cannot report on that.

I will probably have a few more Laptops to try over the next few months, but I am limited to These few and MANY Big White Boxes for now.

Acer Extensa 4101 WLMi + Knoppix 4.02 de DVD

Hi there,
    I use boot options 'nohwaccel acpi=off'
    Knoppix runs without problems.
    Only thing is, my usb stick is not recognized automatically.

Bastian

Member registered user
    I've got keyboard problems with Knoppix V3.8.1 on a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook. The boot prompt is the last point where the keyboard works, during boot process or in a console nothing happened if I pressed a key. In the Bugs wiki it's reported exactly. I hope the bug will be corrected in newer versions of Knoppix.

Toshiba Qosmio G20

Pentium M (Dothan)
    2000 MHz
    Intel 915PM Express
    2048 MB DDR2 SDRAM

Tested Knoppix 3.9 CD and 4.0 DVD with success. With persistent image in USB device. But only basic
    funtions : Internet,sound,video,etc. Not tested Print,wireless...
    Only not detected the sound volume device.

J.

Downloading now

Downloading the 9/23/2005 4.0.2 DVD now, I'll post after I get it burned and running.

Sony VAIO VGN-A190, 735 P-M Dothan 1.7GHZ, ATI Radeon 9700, 1920x1200 native resolution screen, 80GB HDD, Intel PRO Wireless 2200BG...

Looking forward to this!

EDIT: So far, so good! Wireless is working fine, USB mouse is working fine(through docking station no less).
    Looking good!

I doubt that the TV tuner will work... ah well.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast