Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newish laptops running Knoppix -- pls post here

Junior Member registered user

Newish laptops running Knoppix -- pls post here

If you have a new or newish laptop that SUCCESSFULLY boots Knoppix, then PLEASE post (a) version of Knoppix, and (b) the model number and cpu details here. Does all hardware work? Did you need cheatcodes etc?

I'm having a hard time finding ones that I know will boot (given that store managers are often not happy about letting me try booting livecds). There is an astounding lack of information on the web concerning Knoppix on new laptops.

My laptop works with it, although it's not exactly new... HP ze4125 1.4GHz Athlon XP 256MB (I upgraded to 512MB) 40GB. I have to use noscsi and acpi=off boot options for it to boot, but it works absolutely fine.

What stores are you going to? Did they actually tell you no? Remember, you are THEIR customer... just explain that you want to buy a laptop that will boot this linux CD, and that it does not change or do anything. If he says no, tell them that some other store will get your money then. Be firm with them, It's not like you're spending a few bucks, it's quite an investment! Oh, and the bigger the store, the less they will probably care what you do lol.

Edit: Opps forgot to mention the versions... 3.3 boots absolutely fine, 3.4 and 3.6 need the options. I'll have 3.7 to test very soon, I'm on dial up! :P

Sticky?

Thanks vm for your helpful reply Matrox. I'm not in the US & dealers here are more worried about voiding warranties etc. Some will not even turn laptops on because WinXP has to be registered on the first boot.

If the forum moderator is reading this: perhaps this thread could be made a sticky? www.linux-on-laptops.com just does not have enough information about newish models.

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Newish laptops running Knoppix -- pls post here

Quote Originally Posted by WoofDeF
    If you have a new or newish laptop that SUCCESSFULLY boots Knoppix, then PLEASE post (a) version of Knoppix, and (b) the model number and cpu details here. Does all hardware work? Did you need cheatcodes etc?
    HP Pavillion ze4240 / Athlon moble XP CPU

Knoppix 3.1 booted fine. Everything worked (everything I tested anyway, sound was good, network worked immidately on boot through my router.) I did not test the built-in modem and had no expectation that it would work. I resized the NTFS partition to make space for a FAT partition on the disk (so I could write files to the disk). I did not install to disk.

I used it for about a month with no problems. One day I finally allowed XP to install the "security updates" that it had been nagging about. After that event I could no longer get on the network. The details of that are in this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0
    and this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0

With either version 3.3 or 3.4 (sorry, I forget which) I suddenly could no longer boot (I would hang during the boot). I tried a lot of cheat codes but nothing worked. Old versions continued to boot properly. About 6 months later (not to say I put 6 months of work into this one thing) I finally found that a combination of two cheat codes, noscsi and acpi=off, would allow the system to work. I have had to use these codes ever since. By the way, these codes also get me past the NIC problem I mentioned above, so I no longer have to do the manual reset and netcardconfig that I explained in the above threads.

I have a Belkin 802.11b PCMCIA card (ver. 2101) and also a Dlink DWL-650 802.11b PCMCIA wireless card for the notebook. I have never gotten either to work with Knoppix or any live Linux CD. Again, I have not installed to hard drive and I am not trying to get the wrapper and such to work from a CD boot, but neither card seems to be supported by Knoppix. It would be nice if Knoppix, or at least some of the more hacker orriented live CD's would support either of these wireless cards, but I can live without it.

Member registered user
    I run Kanotix (imho, a better version of Knoppix) on an IBM T40.

1.5 Gig Pentium M
    Centrino Wireless- IPW2100
    512 Ram

no cheats needed

works great!

Dell Inspiron 8500

I just last night loaded knoppix v3.6 to my 8500. Booting from CD works like a charm with no real problems (at least none that I've found, but it was just last night and I'm only getting back to it now).

The laptop is almost or is a year old, but it does have 512mb ram and a 40GB drive. It is a 2MHz P4. The one thing that does not really look good is the screen (on the laptop it's 15" wide) and the text and resolution aren't that great. Wireless card works great (that's how I'm getting here - via cable modem to a wireless adapter). USB works great, in fact, the CD was able to detect everything with no problems (I did boot as "no scsi" cuz I don't have any, so why look).

In that I'm new to these formus, I need to do some looking around, but my friends' Compaq (laptop) which is a couple of years old (1.2 Mhz P3, 512mb ram, 40GB drive, CDROM and DVD (separate devices)) did not boot from the CD (same one my Dell does boot from). It started but would hang very soon after that.

roofer

edit: I've loaded v3.7 today (Live CD). It too, works like a charm...

Acer 1705 SCi

I have one problem with my laptop, it's an Acer 1705Sci P4 3Ghz, 512RAM, 120G HD, NVidia FX go 5600
    Knoppix doesn't recognizes my graphic card, it's no problem to boot in my 1280x1024 resolution but when I play a movie
    the picture's not so good, I'm searching for drivers now for this graphic card but havent found them yet, but I'm just using knoppix
    for a week now.

hey y'all new to tha forum here, using knoppix 3.7 on a twinhead efio! 14a, AMD Athlon XP-M 2200. Booted up fine and since i know nutz about linux or knoppix, just discovering my way around. Just found a way to connect to the office network but strangely, the network printer dosen't show on the samba network neighbourhood.... but thats a topic for another area of the forum.... Cheers!

i am using a new hp nc8000 and knoppix 3.7. it runs swimingly.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast