Thread: Installing RPM packages

Installing RPM packages

Hi. I am new to Linux (although I have had Linspire but it fraustrated me) and currenly using Knoppix. I need to know how I can install the RPM package so I can install my ATI drivers which it requires (http://ati.com/support/drivers/linux...5&submit=GO%21) and I don't even know which version of Xfree86 I have (no idea what that is either). I tried checking it using that check.ch thing but all it did was opened a document simillar to notepad which a bunch or giberish.. I would also like to know where I could get Alien. And the sound doesn't work either. AND, I would like to change the resoution from 1024xsomething into a higher one but there isn't a higher one? Please help me.

Senior Member registered user
    dpkg -l ¦ grep alien

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
    |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name Version Description
    +++-================-================-================================================
    ii grep 2.5.1.ds1-4 GNU grep, egrep and fgrep
    ii alien 8.48 install non-native packages with dpkg

Use this to get alien:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install alien

Re: Installing RPM packages

Quote Originally Posted by HewJass
    Hi. I am new to Linux (although I have had Linspire but it fraustrated me) and currenly using Knoppix. I need to know how I can install the RPM package so I can install my ATI drivers which it requires (http://ati.com/support/drivers/linux...5&submit=GO%21) and I don't even know which version of Xfree86 I have (no idea what that is either). I tried checking it using that check.ch thing but all it did was opened a document simillar to notepad which a bunch or giberish.. I would also like to know where I could get Alien. And the sound doesn't work either. AND, I would like to change the resoution from 1024xsomething into a higher one but there isn't a higher one? Please help me.
    First, try to get a .deb package for your ati driver instead of using an rpm. Google for the package name the search within results for .deb.
    You should already have alien, it is included in Knoppix. To convert your rpm to a deb just 'alien -d <packagename'.
    For sounds first check kmix & turn the volumes up; they are zero by default. You will need at least master & PCM turned up.
    Also see this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14604

Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    First, try to get a .deb package for your ati driver instead of using an rpm. Google for the package name the search within results for .deb.
    You should already have alien, it is included in Knoppix. To convert your rpm to a deb just 'alien -d <packagename'.
    For sounds first check kmix & turn the volumes up; they are zero by default. You will need at least master & PCM turned up.
    Also see this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14604
    It says I must run as root or use fakeroot?

You must be root (administrator level user) to install packages. Type 'su' to become root.. No password is required but you should set a root password, if you run any kde applications as root using kdesu you will need one. Type 'sudo passwd' to set a root password.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    You must be root (administrator level user) to install packages. Type 'su' to become root.. No password is required but you should set a root password, if you run any kde applications as root using kdesu you will need one. Type 'sudo passwd' to set a root password.
    Nevermind, I just got Fedora Core and I'm really happy with it for now (only had it for about an hour though), for now I think it's excellent and the sounds works+it recognizes my video card