Thread: KDE Login won't login

Member registered user

KDE Login won't login

Knoppix has been running great for about a month, I was getting quite confedent!

Did a BUNCH of updates and added a LOAD of games over the weekend using KPackage. Things went realy well!. Closed KPackage and tried some of the "NEW" stuff - seemed to work GREAT!!! - God I love Knoppix.

My son (SUN?) wanted to run some of the games too, so we logged out with a reboot. Computer rebooted fine, went to GRUB and selected Knoppix kernel (3.7) install. Everything was working GREAT till it came to something about YP Server - where did that come from? Finely timed out and went on loading up to the KDE Login. Entered my son's name and password, hit "enter" key and - NOTHING. and I do mean NOTHING. I did notice the "curser" was different, now looking more like a triangle than a pointing hand.

Selected "Clear", the screen refreshed and we tried again to login - this time using my login and password. Enter - NOTHING happens. Reboot the computer, complete shutdown this time, comes back to KDE GUI Login screen, still won't login, not even the root!

OK - I know I'm doing something extreemely dumb, like forgetting to inhale after each exhale!

Where do I go from here? I don't want to re-install because of all the time I spent updating and loading the other stuff...

GMD

Member registered user
    Can you select Console Logon from the Menu on the logon screen and get in that way? If so go into /etc/rc5.d and move the nis service (something like S90nis) to K90nis. I've noticed some updates install and start the NIS service, that's the YP you see during boot. It probably has noting to do with the inability to log in though.

Senior Member registered user
    If it's ypbind you can get rid of it like this, you need to run this command as root:

update-rc.d -f bind9 remove

You can alo remove unneeded things such as:

update-rc.d -f dbus-1 remove
    update-rc.d -f dhcp3-server remove
    update-rc.d -f rsync remove
    update-rc.d -f nis remove
    update-rc.d -f isdnutils remove
    update-rc.d -f mdadm remove
    update-rc.d -f isdnactivecards remove
    update-rc.d -f squid remove
    update-rc.d -f apache remove
    update-rc.d -f fetchmail remove
    update-rc.d -f arpwatch remove
    update-rc.d -f sslwrap remove

That's just for starters. The following can be removed as well if you don't plan on using them:
    bluez-utils <---- for bluetooth cards if you have any.
    samba <---- for file sharing on your LAN.
    ssh <---- for secure remote access to your machine.

This will help speed up the boot process. I had this same problem and Durand Hicks enlightened me. Can't help with the login prob. It did happen to me once before but I forgot how I fixed it.

This post might help:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...ight=kde+login

Member registered user
    This thing is turning into a bigger mess than it should. I spent the last week - off and on - trying everything short of reloading. I keep getting stopped by an error
    Read-Only File System
    The system will boot up in text mode ONLY. I log in as “root” and I get the text display
    Root [none] ~#
    or something like that. Try to save, move, create, or anything else and I get the Read-Only error. Even if I try to “startx”, I get the Read-Only S&%#.

Question - where did the "none" come from in my computer name? I named this unit Knoppix (original isn't it ) but no matter what USER I log in as, I get the computer ID as "none" and the Read-Only BS

I want to move/copy all my important directories to another partition (then reinstall ). I mount hda2 and hda3, and then try to move/copy/whatever files or directories to hda3 and I get that same R-O error.

Anybody know where I can go from here?

Thanks

GMD

BTW This is a Knoppix 3.7 HD install, dual boot with Win 98 SE using Grub, and things were working great before I did some "updates"

"Next Time" I get this thing working right, I'm going to try to do an image(?) or some other backup BEFORE I muck around! (Yea, sure, like I believe THAT one - - -)

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang64
    This thing is turning into a bigger mess than it should. I spent the last week - off and on - trying everything short of reloading. I keep getting stopped by an error
    Read-Only File System
    The system will boot up in text mode ONLY. I log in as “root” and I get the text display
    Root [none] ~#
    Hmm, that doesn't sound like a ypbind-Error. I got the same one two days ago because of a wrong partion-table. Try 'fsck /dev/hda1'. 'fsck /dev/hda2' etc. (check every partition) and tell us if there are any errors reported. fsck will also work when you booted the system with the knoppix-cd.

Member registered user
    I finally bit the bullet and re-installed. Now all I need to do is figure out how to do a "proper" backup so when (if? ) I mess things up again, I can recover without a total rebuild!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

GMD