Thread: Passwords for Knoppix

Passwords for Knoppix

Hi

I'm trying to access Kfile manager in Knoppix. Now it requires a password and I have already tried "sudo su" and sudo_s but they don't work. I also tried to access the root terminal fro the Kmenu and it also requires a password. Would anyone know these passwords? It would be a big help. I'm running off the CD just to let you know. Thanks.

Senior Member registered user
    sudo passwd

I tried it and it didn't work. I need to get into the file manager and it requires a password. I need it because I'm trying to connect and I need to delete things in the ppp folder. I'm totally new to Knoppix so could someone please tell me why they password protect the crap out of this. It makes it hard to work with that for sure. I would apprecaite any help anyone could give me. I really do like Knoppix but until I learn more about it. I'm totally in the dark about what to do. Please help.

ctrl alt F2 then su then passwd then follow through and set. ctrl alt f7 to get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkman348
    ... I need to get into the file manager and it requires a password ... I need it because I'm trying to connect and I need to delete things in the ppp folder ... so could someone please tell me why they password protect the crap out of this ... It makes it hard to work with that for sure ... I would apprecaite any help anyone could give me ... Please help.
    DarkMan348,
    *** Answers ***
    The File Manager you are trying to get into is the "root" file manager, you also have a file manager for your own user account, which, I might add, doesnt require you to have a password for it - the problem is, the user's file manager isnt going to let you delete / move things that arent belonging to you, or the group, or groups, that you are not in. Whereas, the "root" file manager will let you delete, or move, anything, this can include blowing away files and folders that are required to even boot with. Thus, with this "power" it requires a password - the thinking is, if you blow something away, you must know what you are doing, because you knew the "root" password, and thus, you must be responsible for any "fall-out" from your actions...

You want to delete files in the ppp folder, does the files, or the folder have you as either the owner, or part of the group, in the permissions? If so, you dont need to use "root" to do what you want to do. If, on the other hand, you are not in the group, or the owner, of the files, or folders, then either the group user, owner user, or ROOT, can only do these things ( see the answer above, for reasons why ) -=- If this "ppp folder" exists in your /home folder, then you have ownership and rights to doing things with them...

Now, the last two questions, answered together... Why is it password protected, and why do they make it hard? Simple, two answers: ( 1 ) to protect your system from either you doing something you may not know what you are doing, and, ( 2 ) to protect your system from someone else doing the same thing. To put it simpler, even though you are booting off the CD, you are running an OS that is more "likely" like a server, with multiple users running on it, would you want EVERYONE to be able to look at any file? To delete any file? To alter any file? ( this includes your own "personal" files, as well as the "systems" files ) -=- This "protection" you are stating why they password protect the crap out of this is for YOUR protection, and your systems. ROOT can do anything, anywhere, even at the cost of your working system. Knoppix comes on the CD as "locked down", no passwords exist for either the default ( knoppix ) user, or for root. Thus, each time you boot the CD, you will either need to set the passwords ( for protection and security ), or not go anywhere...

Knoppix, by default, boots off the CD into the "default" user ( knoppix ), even though "knoppix" is a sudo root user, anything that requires "serious" root user access, will ask for a password. "File Manager - Super User Mode" is a perfect example of this password requirement. Since no password exists for root, you cant enter any password when it asks for one, but, the program "expects" you to enter a password, or it wont open the program - i.e. the program is locked down from being used - without - you knowing what you are doing, and, might I add, knowing that you will be responsible for any "fall out" from what you do...

Here is what you will want to do, to get root, and to get a file manager with root privileges:

Fire off a Konsole screen, knoppix user...
    type su -=- this will make your "knoppix" user into a "root" user...
    type passwd -=- and enter your NEW root password twice to set the password... ( this will only be active in this CD boot, unless you have a "persistant home" set up )
    Now that you are root, in this screen only - you cant use the menu, because thats still your user logged in, but, this screen you just typed su in, has made that screen a root...

to get file manager running, with root, do the following in that same screen:
    konqueror -=- if it asks for the password, then enter the password you set in the above...

You can also use the KMenu selection "File Manager - Super User Mode" - and when it asks for the password, use the password you set above...

The thing you need to realize is, this "protection" that is getting in your way of doing work, or getting things done, is trying to protect "you" from doing something you might not want to do... And, I might add, protect you from going out in the world as ROOT, and thus, if an attacker can get "back" to you as root on your system, then they have root access to your system as well. Something to think about...

Hopefully, this has helped,
    Ms. Cuddles

Quote Originally Posted by Darkman348
    I tried it and it didn't work. I need to get into the file manager and it requires a password. I need it because I'm trying to connect and I need to delete things in the ppp folder. I'm totally new to Knoppix so could someone please tell me why they password protect the crap out of this. It makes it hard to work with that for sure. I would apprecaite any help anyone could give me. I really do like Knoppix but until I learn more about it. I'm totally in the dark about what to do. Please help.
    Are you sure you have entered 'sudo passwd' correctly (note it is not 'sudo password')? It has always worked for me.

just type

Code:
    su
    once you are root type

Code:
    passwd
    bingo you can change the root password to what ever you want.