Thread: How Can I Redetect Hardware?

How Can I Redetect Hardware?

Hello,
    I ran apt-get upgrade today and now my mouse isn't working. I have Knoppix 3.6 installed to the Hard Drive and am running it on a Dell Inspiron 3800. It previously had no problem detecting it. I'm not sure how to make it redetect what mouse it's using. Everything else seems to be fine. Thanks for any help!

Senior Member registered user
    To auto detect hardware 'sudo /etc/init.d/knoppix-installer'.

Problems like this are common after apt-get upgrade, I think most are the result of the upgrade process 'improving' the system startup by staring every known available service at boot up. Use sys-v-init editor & remove any services you don't need from runlevel 5 start.

A default knoppix-style install has only knoppix-autoconfig, knoppix-hd-config & mountall.sh in /etc/rcS.d

Check also your file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, compare with this file on your Knoppix CD.

On my knoppix-style HDinstall the video driver selection gets screwed up every time I upgrade, I have to let it start using the default-last-resort vesa driver (which means I can't see the screen) then crtl-alt-f2 to a terminal, edit XF86Config-4 to the proper driver, crtl-alt-f5 back to the flickering screen & blind logout 'end session only'. When X restarts the video driver is correct & remains correct. It's weird but no other procedure works. I have also had this problem after sys-V-init changing the startup services which is why I think the startup services stuff is the source of the problem.

This is why apt-get upgrade is not recommended for knoppix systems.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    -snipped-
    On my knoppix-style HDinstall the video driver selection gets screwed up every time I upgrade, I have to let it start using the default-last-resort vesa driver (which means I can't see the screen) then crtl-alt-f2 to a terminal, edit XF86Config-4 to the proper driver, crtl-alt-f5 back to the flickering screen & blind logout 'end session only'. It's weird but no other procedure works. I have also had this problem after sys-V-init changing the startup services which is why I think the startup services stuff is the source of the problem.
    Hi, CrashedAgain!

It's odd that the blind log-out step is necessary. Usually Ctrl-Alt-Del will trigger a reboot, or at least a shut down. The halting of the X server processes on the other virtual console should be automatic, in the event a reboot is called for on VC1 as root. If Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work, then I think(?) "telinit 6" would do the job.

Oh, by the way,... In another thread, I'd told you that I'd also done a "Knoppix style" install onto my HD? Well, as usual, I couldn't leave sort of okay alone. I spent an afternoon repeatedly re-installing Knoppix, and eventually succeeded (more or less) in doing a "Debian" install. I say "more or less", because the installation script crapped out near the end and locked up the computer. I had to shut it down via pressing and holding the power button. However, when I powered up the machine again, and booted using the GRUB entry I'd had for the previous (Knoppix style) installation in that same partition, it worked and boot properly! In fact, it's working more smoothly than the Knoppix style did; even, giving me full colors on screen instead of limiting it to 256. Cool, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by scruffyeagle

It's odd that the blind log-out step is necessary. Usually Ctrl-Alt-Del will trigger a reboot, or at least a shut down.
    Actually that is how I was doing the blind restart. Ctrl-alt-del brings up the logout dialog box then one <up> key selects 'logout session only' then <enter>. Since it is a Knoppix style install it logs out then logs right back in thus restarting X.

Pleased that your Hd install is now working better.

Member registered user
    I am also having problems and i have no idea what to do.

I selected the debian style install (whats the diff between this and the knoppix style?)

My mouse doesnt get detected although when booting the live cd as a poormans install
    it works fine.

How can i get it to work again? I am unable to do anything (pretty much as i dont know what im doing)
    If I press ctrl alt and f2 i can get a command line but i dont know what i can do from there to get it
    to autodetect things.

All i want is to run knoppix off the HD uncompressed so i can install a couple of other apps.

I have tried this

udo mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd??
    sudo cp /mnt/hd??/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hd??/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.original
    sudo cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hd??/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    answer yes to the overwrite

It didnt seem to work, I put hda1 which is where mine is installed it seemed to copy it ok but the mouse
    didnt work.

I selected the debian style install (whats the diff between this and the knoppix style?)
    Paraphrasing from Kyle Rankin's excellent Knoppix Hacks, the Knoppix style essentially gives you the CD on your hard drive - single user, disabled passwords, but upgraded from the default read-only access. You can change things, of course.

Debian style gives you a multi-user system and no hardware-detection scripts.

You might try a beginner-style installation, which combines the two, or just a Knoppix-style and tweak things the way you want them.

In any event, before you add stuff you'll want to edit /etc/apt/sources.list so that it points to nearby websites instead of German ones. As a starting point, change these entries:
    Code:
    http://ftp.de.debian.org...
    like this:
    Code:
    http://ftp.uk.debian.org....
    and find secondary mirror sites on this page:
    • http://www.debian.org/mirror
    Be aware that Knoppix isn't designed to be an installed Linux ... installing means maintaining. You start with a mix of Linux/GNU software from three development streams (stable, testing, and unstable) plus tweaks thrown in by Klaus Knopper and friends. The pieces have been essentially hand-fitted so that they work together.

When you upgrade the packages from Debian websites, this will no longer be true. Package A, from the testing release, gets upgraded to A+. Package B, from the unstable release, gets upgraded to B+. A and B worked together, but A+ and B+ may not. And anything you add, regardless which release it comes from, will probably be working with material from other streams.

It's not something to back away from, just something to be aware of.

-- Ed

Member registered user
    Thanks for the information i will give the knoppix style a try and see if i have more luck.

Im sure i would have better luck if i were installing linux on a decent computer instead
    of my craptop which cant boot from a CD

Thanks again i appreciate it a lot.

Im sure i would have better luck if i were installing linux on a decent computer
    Ah, but this is where Linux is supposed to shine! Re-purposing vintage assets, and all that.

By the way, if the mouse is your only problem, there's a very good chance that just booting to console mode (no GUI) and tweaking one or two lines in one file could fix it.

Let us know, okay?

-- Ed

Member registered user
    i using a 266 MHz laptop with 64 MB of ram 5 gb hd and a floppy drive i think it makes it harder for me as
    a linux begineer but its the only laptop i have haha.

ive now got a knoppix style install on the hd which runs ok. strange thing is that live cd gives me a bad display
    the debian one seemed to detect it better and used the right setup or driver.

now all i have to do is try installing a few progs and get them working.