Thread: knoppix 3.3 hd install

knoppix 3.3 hd install

i am new to linux and was wondering how to install to hd any help would be appreciated

Senior Member registered user
    Step-by-step:
    1. Insert CD
    2. Boot with bootcode 'knoppix lang=us' (assuming you want an english system. Don't use too many bootcodes, knoppix adds them into lilo.conf & sometimes there can be problmes with repeated commands).
    3. Open a terminal
    4. Type 'sudo knoppix-installer'
    5. Configure as desired & let it install. You will be asked about partitions, have the install create about a 4Gig partition for Knoppix & 500 Meg for swap (if you have that much space available).

In case any one else new to gnu/linux wishes to experiment with the truly wonderful, yet very easy, Knoppix -
    David McNab has a good how to, including lang settings on first boot ...

http://linuxreviews.org/software/lin...oppix-install/

cheers,
    m_m

Banned

Desperate for a Linux install to HD on an OLD laptop!!!

I'm desperate and need help. I really need to know how I can get some sort of graphic version of Linux, OpenOffice, and a web browser at least installed to an older Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDT with a 1.3 GIG Hard Drive.

I noticed the Knoppix disk with all the great stuff on it compressed is only 600-something MB. How can I get a bootable/editable image of this on the laptop's hard drive in a way that it would be usable and able to save data to the drive, etc?

I followed the instructions above for doing a regular hard drive install but it still tells me it needs at least 2GB of space and a 128MB swapfile!!!!

Does anyone know if I have ANY alternative installs that would fit on this thing??

I recommend either Debian 3.0r4 (Woody) or Debian Sarge. Debian can be installed on a system with very little hard drive space and by default Debian will not install loads of extra programs you wouldn't use on an older system. If the system is less that 300MHz or has less than 128MB RAM, then I would not recommend using OpenOffice.org since it is tends to use up CPU and RAM and will run very slow. Abiword is a good word processor and is great alternative for old systems. See these posts about old systems:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17106
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17000

I hope this helps.
    James

You could do a 'toHD' install, sometimes called a poormans install, basically this copies the Knoppix disk to the HD & runs it from there. It uses just over 700 Meg & you get the full range of Knoppix applications & can install a fair range of new applications with klik. Installation is easy, just boot the Knoppix disk with the bootcode 'knoppix lang=<whatever> tohd=/dev/hda1'.
    One thing to note, though: A toHD Knoppix install locks the partition on which it is installed, so perhaps you should partition off about 750 Meg of your HD for the to HD install which will leave the rest of the drive as a writeable partition. You can do this with QTparted before you do the install.
    Don't worry too much about it being an older slower machine, I have Knoppix running on a Toshiba 600 MHZ laptop (not a whole bunch faster) & it runs OK. It is a full HD install though, 6G HD dual boot with winME. It will run faster as a toHD install than it does from the CD.
    Another distro you could check out is Morphix, basically a Knoppix spinoff built 'modular' so you can install as much or as little as you wish. But in the end you end up with a Debian HD install system. An basic Debian (Sarge or any other recent version) install takes about 400Meg for just the O/S, OpenOffice is another 200+, a minimal install of KDE or Gnome plus Firebird/Thunderbird will put you well over 1 Gig which doesn't leave any room for data. Even using a lighter gui such as xFce you will have a hard time staying under 1 Gig, so I would try the toHD first.

Banned

Knoppix to hd

I did as you suggested and it seemed to work pretty good. It appears to be on the drive now.

No. Wait, I just tried booting it up without the CD in the drive and it goes to a C: prompt. It looks like when I partitioned the drive with a util I had, it asked me for a system disk of some sort. Not having anything else, I just put in a Windows boot disk and it copied command.com to the drive. Would this have fouled it up?

I thought that by doing the to hard drive install would wipe out whatever was there. I guess not. Any suggestions?

Let's say I get this all working and I make a bunch of settings changes (screen resolution, transparency, windows, etc...) and want all those changes to be saved.....will it let me do this? Or, can I save one config file on the other partition, or what?

TRS

Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    You could do a 'toHD' install, sometimes called a poormans install, basically this copies the Knoppix disk to the HD & runs it from there. It uses just over 700 Meg & you get the full range of Knoppix applications & can install a fair range of new applications with klik. Installation is easy, just boot the Knoppix disk with the bootcode 'knoppix lang=<whatever> tohd=/dev/hda1'.
    One thing to note, though: A toHD Knoppix install locks the partition on which it is installed, so perhaps you should partition off about 750 Meg of your HD for the to HD install which will leave the rest of the drive as a writeable partition. You can do this with QTparted before you do the install.
    Don't worry too much about it being an older slower machine, I have Knoppix running on a Toshiba 600 MHZ laptop (not a whole bunch faster) & it runs OK. It is a full HD install though, 6G HD dual boot with winME. It will run faster as a toHD install than it does from the CD.
    Another distro you could check out is Morphix, basically a Knoppix spinoff built 'modular' so you can install as much or as little as you wish. But in the end you end up with a Debian HD install system. An basic Debian (Sarge or any other recent version) install takes about 400Meg for just the O/S, OpenOffice is another 200+, a minimal install of KDE or Gnome plus Firebird/Thunderbird will put you well over 1 Gig which doesn't leave any room for data. Even using a lighter gui such as xFce you will have a hard time staying under 1 Gig, so I would try the toHD first.