Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Knoppix CD to Boot Kanotix ISO?

Senior Member registered user
    How do I go about using md5Summer to check the thingy? Do I just open the md5 file? or do I have to do something with the ISO? The md5 file just opens and says there was 1 error while processing.

OK, so I just tried burning the Kanotix image onto a CD-RW from a laptop that I copied the image to. I used the tutorial here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=298 I know it's WIndows XP, but I figured it would be the same. Evidently, it's not. Where did I go wrong? The load segments, sector counts, etc. will probably be the same for Kanotix as they are with Knoppix, seeing as Kanotix is derived from Knoppix. I think. Yeah. From what I've heard Kanotix=Knoppix with a million and 2 drivers and extra programs.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    OK, so I just tried burning the Kanotix image onto a CD-RW from a laptop that I copied the image to. I used the tutorial here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=298 .....
    The thing you gave a link to talks about making your own bootable disk from individual files, what I saw has nothing to do with burning from an ISO.

Did you figure out the answer to your first question, how to check the MD5 sum? Which md5 program are you using? Did you get a file with an md5 extension or are you trying to generate a md5 sum and manually check it against the text string that you had before. No sense in reading any further if you didn't do this.

There has been lots of discussion here about how to burn ISO files, not sure why you would have searched elsewhere for data that might not apply. Are you using EZCD? Do you have other burning software available (I haven't used EZCD since about version 3). If you're stuck with ezcd, look through the menus for an option to burn from an ISO file.

I dl'ed md5summer and i've got an md5 file that came from the same mirror as the iso, though I'm not really sure how to use them. EZCD is the only burning software I can get to right now.

Heh....Half this thread contradicts the program's name....Easy CD creator? Mon oeil! Maybe easy for burning your shitty mainstream emo wannabe music, but not for ISOs!

I dl'ed md5summer and i've got an md5 file that came from the same mirror as the iso, though I'm not really sure how to use them. EZCD is the only burning software I can get to right now.
    MD5summer:
    Very simple to use. If you click on an md5 file it will check the checksums against files in the directory it was run from and tell you if they match or not. This association should have been set up when md5summer was first installed. If not you can still do it, just use the verify sums button on the first window and select the md5 file that you want to check. Or in the Windows file explorer highlight the md5 file, hold down the shift key, and right click on the file. A menu will open, but when the shift key is held down in addition to the normal "open" command that shows up in the menu, there will be an open with selection. Pick this. Select md5summer from the list of programs (you may have to use the browse button to find it if windows does not already have it in the list) Before you click OK, there is a check box that says something like "always use this program to open this type of file", click it and this will create the relation between md5 files and md5 summer, in the future you can just click on an md5 file to run md5summer and automatically check it.

To generate your own MD5 files or generate text strings that you can manually check against what you see on a website, just start md5summer. A navagation window will open. Navigate to the directory with the file or files that you want to make md5 sums for. Click on the first button on the bottom, the one marked create sums. The window will magically change into a window that lets you select the files in that directory that you want to make md5 sums for. Highlight the one that you want and click add(or highlight many and click add), click add all to make sums for everything in the directory, or highlight and use the add recursively button to include files in subdirectories too. Once you have the file or files that you want in the list, click OK. Md5summer will build a list of md5 sums and open a window to let you save an md5 file. If you are just checking against a text string that you found on a website then you don't need to save the file, just check the string against what you already have.

There may be some other features that I've missed; I've never bothered to read the documentation. The above came from just playing with the software for less than 30 seconds, something I suspect that you did not do. But that you would want to keep burning CDs when you don't know that the iso file is good striikes me as something I would not want to do.

As to ezcd, see my previous advice, the feature is in there, but is certainly not the thing that you gave a link to. But check the md5 sum first.

Boot problem from CD

I used one of my computers(XP NTFS) and download KNOPPIX, then burned it on a CD, now I want to install to another computer (XP FAT32)30 GB, it is partitioned into two parts C; for Xp and I reserved D: for KNOPPX.I changed the BIOS to boot from CD but in no vain. I also by mistake tried to open it with win zip and later on with ie, now whenever I want to open the file(KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-DE) the IE icon is there meaning this .iso file will be opened by IE.Hope sone one could help me,please.
    Thank you

Re: Boot problem from CD

Quote Originally Posted by amir
    .... now I want to install to another computer .....Hope sone one could help me,please.
    If you really want help, do not just stick your message onto an existing discussion about something else. Start a new thread, and start it in the correct forum (the hdd install forum would be the right place for questions about hdd install issues). Also, you are using the German version of Knoppix (name ends in DE, not EN for ENglish). You live in Canada. While you certainly could be a native German speaker, consider if you might not want the EN version of Knoppix.

I made it work!! It was as easy as selecting the ISO file to burn! I installed Kanotix and now I'm working with the bootloader.

I made it work!! It was as easy as selecting the ISO file to burn! I installed Kanotix and now I'm working with the bootloader.
    Did you ever get md5summer working?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast