Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *.cmg files won't run!?!

*.cmg files won't run!?!

Hi,

I am able to use Klik to obtain the files, but when I try to run them I get a spinning hourglass.... then nothing happens. I have searched for suggestions, but could not find any. Anybody have any advice? Thanks a lot!

I am running the most recent Kanotix release.

I am looking forward to getting this working! Klik is great!

Senior Member registered user
    Perhaps you can try checking fstab to see that all seven of the /mnt/app entries are present.

Then, it is sometimes necessary to enter.....mkdir /mnt/app..... followed by ....chmod 777 /mnt/app.

The standard entries permit user run of applications.

In my system, I have enabled root to run the apps with appropriate changes to fstab.

Best of luck to you...

Thanks, lilsirecho!

That is one of the things I have tried. I made sure to add those seven entries when I first started trying out Klik. Would "tweeking" those seven entries, ie:

/mnt/app/1/image /mnt/app/1 auto user,noauto,ro, ..... etc. make any difference? Should I change something slightly? I am pretty new at this.... SO confused!

Thanks again for the help!

You probably shouldn't be changing anything in the fstab lines.

What you should do now is try running directly from a command line with "~/.zAppRun ~/Desktop/$FOOBAR.cmg" replacing $FOOBAR with the name of the package you downloaded. This will probably display an error which should help, if it doesn't post back here with your results.

Probono developed this system and says that each time you reboot you may have to re-run wget to reinstall the client.

When running klik and downloading .cmg files, the files appear in the directory /tmp/klik.

If you browse to that directory you may be able to get the .cmg files to run if you open the file in ...file manager. Usually you click on ..."wrapper". Normally, .cmg files can be initiated with a right click and select ...AppRun.

The system is designed to operate in KDE format. It has been reported that klik can be initiated in firefox format.

Some of the available .cmg are stored in the Home directory where they can be opened and enabled with "wrapper" selection.

Of course, some of the .cmg are incompatible with a given system for dependency problems.

Only certain knoppix LiveCD downloads work with klik according to the developers.

I have operated klik and .cmg files in Knoppix, PCLinuxOS, STUX, and archlinux(desktop).
    I have five .cmg operating in this Knoppix3.7 download.

I don't recommend changing the fstab at this time since it is a necessary setup to initialize klik.

I mention all these factors to act as a review for you. You probably have read the forum data on the subject.

You call yourself a noobie...I was a noobie when I first tried klik and now I are one!!!!

I have my feet wet and am looking for more answers as well.

I have hopes of enabling more than one cramfs kernel config to further enhance the Live CD experience. The cramfs file system is used to compress the .cmg files and decode them on the fly.

Another check point in Knoppix, when it is installed, you will find in ..../home/devices....a listing of the "hard disc images" which the klik system mounts while running the .cmg file.

A possible command line exercise might help you...use...mount-t cramfs -o loop (paste the .cmg file ) /mnt/app.....

I have also created folders in /mnt/app (having full permissions) named 1 thru 7......to provide the destination for the selected .cmg files.

I find it necessary to create /mnt/app on each reboot as previously stated.

Why this is necessary for my system I do not know..

You may need to examine the kernel config in your kernel to see if cramfs is enabled.

Best of luck..

================================================== ==========
    Asking can get you knowwhere.....

Thank you to both of you for your thoughtful replies. When I get home (to my computer with Kanotix) I will give your suggestions a try and post back. Thanks again!

.cmg does not appear to be either a squashfs, iso9660 or ...

Quote Originally Posted by bfree
    You probably shouldn't be changing anything in the fstab lines.

What you should do now is try running directly from a command line with "~/.zAppRun ~/Desktop/$FOOBAR.cmg" replacing $FOOBAR with the name of the package you downloaded. This will probably display an error which should help, if it doesn't post back here with your results.
    Hi there, I too am having problems getting a .cmg file to run:

I tried running skype (that I previously d/l using klik) with "~/.zAppRun ~/Desktop/skype.cmg" as you suggested, and I get the following error message:

"/root/Desktop/sykpe.cmg does not appear to be either a squashfs, iso9660 or a cramfs file"

Any suggestions?

ps. I am running a HD Installed Knoppix Version 3.7 (Beginners Install)

Re: .cmg does not appear to be either a squashfs, iso9660 or

Quote Originally Posted by macsmith
    I tried running skype (that I previously d/l using klik) with "~/.zAppRun ~/Desktop/skype.cmg" as you suggested, and I get the following error message:

"/root/Desktop/sykpe.cmg does not appear to be either a squashfs, iso9660 or a cramfs file"

Any suggestions?

ps. I am running a HD Installed Knoppix Version 3.7 (Beginners Install)
    Hi, can you paste the output of the two commands "ls -l /root/Desktop/skype.cmg" and "file /root/Desktop/skype.cmg" but I wonder why you are running as root? You should not login as root, you made another user during the installation who you should log in as instead.

Re: .cmg does not appear to be either a squashfs, iso9660 or

Quote Originally Posted by bfree
    Hi, can you paste the output of the two commands "ls -l /root/Desktop/skype.cmg" and "file /root/Desktop/skype.cmg" but I wonder why you are running as root? You should not login as root, you made another user during the installation who you should log in as instead.
    My mistake, I was in root to check something else and forgot.

I started my Console as a normal user and did: "~/.zAppRun ~/Desktop/skype.cmg" but nothing happend at all, not even an error.

mac@mac1:~/Desktop$ file skype.cmg
    skype.cmg: Linux Compressed ROM File System data, little endian size 8937472 version #2 sorted_dirs CRC 0x766ddd21, edition 0, 2995 blocks, 54 files

Does that help you further?

Regards

Yes, I have seen similar errors too. Some systems seem to be unable to recognize the cramfs format on their own. You can try to mount manually:

Code:
    su
    mkdir /mnt/test
    mount my.cmg /mnt/test -o loop -t cramfs
    /mnt/test/wrapper
    If you get an error about "no free loop device", then you have tried already several times w/o success and need to reboot first.

Greetings,
    probono

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast