Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HP ZE4560us - Anything and Everything

Quote Originally Posted by foamrotreturns
    Placeholder for now - have to catch some sleep before work at 8am tomorrow... but the good news is....

Drumroll please...

The ze4560us is compatible with Atheros Mini-PCI cards! Not only will it enhance your reception, but Atheros cards are some of the most well supported in Linux through the madwifi driver project. Also, these cards are available in Tri-Band models (that's 802.11a/b/g) for a similar price to that which you would pay for a PCMCIA 802.11g only card. And the icing on the cake: it's WPA-compliant
    I highly recommend looking into getting one if you have this laptop. It will greatly increase your coverage and will enable you to start using the card with native drivers - which have all kinds of advantages.

Like I said earlier, this is merely a placeholder post for the time being. Eventually it will have pictures of how to install the card and some explanation about what modprobe commands to use, wpa_supplicant configuration, etc.
    Hello foamrotreturns,

I was recently thinking about upgrading the mini-pci, google brought me to this topic.
    I was thinking about a A/B/G card in particular about the new Intel, but You are saying that the Atheros chipset is well supported. What is the situation at the present time? Which chipset is better supported in Linux?

Thanks

Member registered user
    Good Day Fomo-
    First I want to thank you for all the help, especially the work you do with this forum. I am not quite ready for wi-fi mainly due to HIPAA issues but I was curious to see the inside of the ze4500series. I checked each of the posted picture ( jpg) links in order and none of them worked. I received the, "Can not connect to remote server" message each and every time. I'm runing win xp pro at the moment. I'll try to check them from Linux later. I don't yet know if this is my server problem or your links but I thought you might want to be aware of it.
    In Service,
    Captain Cautious

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by melopll

Hello foamrotreturns,

I was recently thinking about upgrading the mini-pci, google brought me to this topic.
    I was thinking about a A/B/G card in particular about the new Intel, but You are saying that the Atheros chipset is well supported. What is the situation at the present time? Which chipset is better supported in Linux?

Thanks
    I apologize for the gap in communication. I've been hella busy lately.
    I know for a fact that if you change your chipset to Intel, it will need to be the kind they use in the Centrino packages in order to guarantee support in Linux. The support is still experimental, however. So I would recommend the Atheros. Plus, if you ever want to try your hand at Wireless penetration testing, the Atheros chipset is the best supported for packet injection.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Cautious
    Good Day Fomo-
    First I want to thank you for all the help, especially the work you do with this forum. I am not quite ready for wi-fi mainly due to HIPAA issues but I was curious to see the inside of the ze4500series. I checked each of the posted picture ( jpg) links in order and none of them worked. I received the, "Can not connect to remote server" message each and every time. I'm runing win xp pro at the moment. I'll try to check them from Linux later. I don't yet know if this is my server problem or your links but I thought you might want to be aware of it.
    In Service,
    Captain Cautious
    Yeah, my server suffered a fatal SCSI controller failure... I am currently looking for a way to get it back up and running. In the mean time, I hope the written instructions will suffice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12