Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: microsoft v.s. linux the dispute

Junior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    You won't find an unbiased opinion on this forum
    Linux is a lighthouse leading one to shore from a sea of windows confusion. The only real concrn with knoppix itself i ever have sometimes is it using the cd drive, but I have 2 so I need not worry.

The main reason it's a miracle to me is that it saved my laptop, which stopped booting windows for good (unmountable drive BSoD? wtf?).

Honestly, from an objective point of view windows is riddled with problems as the Hard Drive gets full and such. Lots of people will tell you quite simply one day their computer no longer recognized their mouse, despite it being connected fine. But the versions I've tested of linux haven't had those problems really. The lack of viruses (and ability to remove them from a windows installation on the same computer) is a definite plus as well.

Senior Member registered user
    Hello to all knoppix users!!
    This is my first post, and first I will get a very very big thanks to knoppix that have made me able to touch linux first time last year when I have had _dsl connection. I've tried some others live cds but then I'm always came back to knoppix because for me (maybe for my needs) is the best live-distro.

This is my opinion in this thread.
    Linux is better than windows, macos and bsd.
    Is better than windows and macos because the powerful of shell command line, and better than bsd because the bsd license is less free than gnu.

you forgot about its easy complicated parts of it where you can tweek and modify it without having to worry about the warrenty.... (joke joke... just dont hit me)...

and i am glad your suited up for knoppix (i know its a pun at your picture, sorry... but hey, you can always take a pun at me)...

Linux is a lighthouse leading one to shore from a sea of windows confusion.
    man, thats a good, good, comparisment thing... <-- me bad at anglish, i mean english...

anyother thing i knoticed... is the level of programing you require... there are some really great programers out there, and because they spend time on their programs (i am just assuming this), you pick up little tips, and little... hey, thats a great way to do what i need, <-- of course what you need might be a program to count how many pokemon cards you have, and the idea you got it from was something that a nuclear weapons, i mean power station realys on... but you get great experience...

there is a post around where someone clamed that they learnt more in 6 months of using linux then they ever had on windows... and thats soo true... look at me now, i can use big computer words like "card"...

hehe... got this from another post on this thread... "Microsoft gives you windows, linux gives you the whole house" <-- soo true... soo true...

Junior Member registered user

A suggestion for chris-harry

Hey Chris-Harry, I have an idea on how you might be able to convince your parents to switch your box over to Linux. If you have enough free space on your hard drive (around 2 GB). Try installing a flavor of Linux to that free space, preferably one that has a not so confusing interface. being that it should be as easy for your parents to get around in as they can in Windows. Ubuntu is easy to use, but the Gnome window manager's is more closer to the feel of Mac OS. However, Ubuntu is fairly streamlined in it's installation, and will ask you if you want to install GRUB to your master boot recoed. By installing GRUB, you will have effectively made a boot menu, which will allow you to boot into either Ubuntu or Windows. GRUB is actually really good at creating multiple boot menus.

"The true warrior knows that he has no enemies but himself, thus all who appear before him as enemies are merely pale reflections of his own dark self" - Anonymous

thanks poppe... much apriciated... and i'll inform everyone soon... we still have to get the computer formated... compleately... *thinks about how much fun me going to have*...

hahaha

hello chris-harry im shorking you Muhahahahaha

to everybody who doesnt know what he said... its ment to be stalking...

and to update everyone...

I HAVE ME LINUX PARTION!!! was going to install debian, but dvd drive not working... (but dont worry about that)...

now, how can i set up me modem... i got it with the telstra bigpond thingy (dont use it, really bad service... half and hour waiting minimum... no offence to anyone working for telstra)...

BIASED?

I can be, if I want to be, and Chris-Harry, I'm a she not a he - hence my sig is "Ms. Cuddles"

Up until I booted my first Knoppix v3.2 Live CD, I'd have been tauting M$ all the way - nothing beats M$, when it runs, when I dont have to reboot; like after my backup, or after compiling a Visual Basic program, because I dont have any available resources anymore, or, when I can get online - between the security updates, and virus signature downloads, etc... All this as a "devoted" Windows User -=- thats meant to be a positive thing on Windows....

Now, hmmm, I can see the light... all those things that I would have been saying as "good things" about Windows, I realize that they were all bad, that I didnt have to "live" with them, or "deal" with them - Linux has given me that! Windows only made more "demands" of me, my system, or what I valued as my "time", and how I spent it.

I never figured "I" would have "changed sides", I even worked for Microsoft ( the bad guys ), and dealt with all there problems, and trying to "sell" customers on those "problems" -=- like say its a "feature" not a bug, or its a "valued added bonus" instead of a "pain-in-the-rump" - When I worked for Microsoft they cared about there customers, but, then again, they HAD to... They were just SELLING people on Windows, coming from the HACK version 3.x to Windows 95 took a lot of "selling". Back in my days of dealing with M$, Windows wasnt a OS, but, a program, that run under DOS... the new release of Win95 was a real OS, it booted to the GUI or the DOS prompt. People didnt take much "selling" to be running Win95 though, it was easy... Considering the alternatives, DOS or a pretty Graphical User Interface, that allowed you to run multiple (kind of) DOS programs, and the BIGGY "selling feature", it came with SOLITAIRE!!!!!! OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!

Microsoft has done a lot for the computer market, and there own pockets. They sigle-handedly showed that crime CAN pay, and are continually proving it. They have proven that you cant have enough money, and that, if you have enough money, you can buy, or kill off, any competition. We, as a "free" and enterprising nation, applaud them, for doing, and being this. We carry the M$ banner, and will take it into battle, for them, as they stand millions of miles behind the battle field, safe from harm... Whereas, in Linux, you can find the programmers, and the people who work, and write, what OS you run, in plain sight, and in most cases, right in the same line as you, on that battle field. Who would you want to support? I'm proud to carry the Linux flag into battle, but, its not because I'm biased, its because I "know" what it stands for, who is on my side, what they stand for, and that they are with me. Yes, I'm biased about Linux, but, wouldnt you be, with this kind of backing?

Ms. Cuddles
    ( ps thats MISS Cuddles, not MicroSoft Cuddles )
    BEGIN EDIT:
    ( and SMILE when you say that! )
    END EDIT

I can be, if I want to be, and Chris-Harry, I'm a she not a he - hence my sig is "Ms. Cuddles"
    opps, sorry... me mistake.. Please dont hit me...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast