Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: microsoft v.s. linux the dispute

Junior Member registered user

microsoft v.s. linux the dispute

i have been around the net here and there i just would like to know what u have heared bill say about linux and what your opinions are are about the linux vs microsoft disputes are. any takers on this?

Senior Member registered user
    Linux, as we all know, is more reliable... because it is writen with care and precision by lots of volitears on the net who put there time and dedication into something, and they dont rush it...

Microsoft just rush things to come out first... which doesnt always end on top... (they are rushing there new xbox)...

i could write a whole page.... but, really...

also... the last origianl thing to come out of microfost was its task bar, its just copying everyone... why??? well, because no one can think of something cool, and also its too hard for them...

i kept mine short so cuddles could have fun... but hay since he hasnt replied...

LINUX is way better then WINDOWS!!1 mainly because linux has made fewer mistakes then windows (aka, pretending not to knotice a rather serious hole in IE)...

also, there is more care going into linux...

etc...

Read this? Chapter 8. And before someone asks, yes it's a joke
    http://www.adequacy.org/public/stori...2056.2147.html

They smell bad 58%
    i thought that was just me!

still reading...

8. Is your son obsessed with "Lunix"?

BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called "xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet without using a telephone.
    ehehe... man, i nearly wet myself laughing... and thats just from the first line...

Junior Member registered user

MS vs Linux the dispute

Hey everyone, when I spotted the topic of this board I just had to get in on this one. I work as a PC technician for a college where I live. I pewrsonally have worked extensively with both Windows and Linux. In performance Linux outclasses Windows hands down. In a side by side comparison which I had conducted myself earlier this year. I ran Ubuntu Linux (the Warty Warthog release), and Windows XP. Both of these computers were plugged via ethrenet cards into a network which connected to the Internet via a T1 line. I began this test in March, and have still have yet to have any difficulties with Ubuntu. While Windows XP on the other hand had it's first 'fatal error' 15 days after installation. Now as far as the security levels I had placed on these operating systems. With Ubuntu I just did the plain install without installing any updates, or adding extra security applications. Whereas with Windows XP, I had the embedded ICF (Internet Connection Firewall), as well as Norton System Works by Symantec installed and running, yet this still occurred..
    Additionally, Linux makes better use of hard drives, on the same machine which was a Dell Dimension Desktop and had a Pentium 995MHz CPU, 256MB of RAM, and a 30GB hard drive. Using Knoppix 3.6 on a LiveCD this time vs the installed Windows XP, ithe actual file retrieval time was quicker for Knoppix than with the preinstalled WinXP.
    When setting up the initial network connection for Ubuntu and Windows XP, I found that there was more ease of setup with Ubuntu than with XP. With XP you install it to hard drive and it allows you to name your computer as well as predefine the type of network the machine is on. With Ubuntu during installation, the install asked me to name the computer, after which it had automatically configured the network connection. Additionally. for purposes of network security you cannot change network settings in Ubuntu without the administrator's password. Whereas with Windows XP, unless you specify otherwise during installation, the default login account has full administrative rights.
    On breaching security in Windows or Linux, the two operating systems I used were Knoppix 3.6 and Windows Server 2003. Using a simple brute force attack, I was able to break the login password on the machine that had Server 2003. However, when I tried this with Knoppix, I couldn't.
    Lastly, here's my take on the TCO of Windows and Linux.. There was a liberal arts college for native Americans that had 45 machines running Windows 98SE on them. These machines were in bad condition, crashing at least twice daily also the college needed more computers to meet student needs. This college was also only funded by some of the local Baptist churches, as well as the revenues they received for tuition. When the head of their CIS department contacted Microsoft about a solution, MS naturally recommended upgrading to Windows XP. However that would have required them to buy new machines which would eat up their funding and leave them with either the same amount of good machines or less. Eventually this college began gathering ideas about how to solve their problem. At the suggestion of a Linux enthusiast, this college bought more memory for their original 45 computers and installed Knoppix on them. In addition they pruchased another 45 computers at a discounted rate due to that these machines had no operating system on them. For the new 45 machines this college installed Windows 98SE which is perfectly legal under the 1998 EULA. Not only did they get 45 new machines, but they managed to revitalize their original 45 with Knoppix Linux. Many argue about the TCO of Linux being equal to that of Windows. These critics use commercial versions of Linux such as Redhat or Linspire as a comparison. However, there are far more great distros out there that are free of charge and just as good as commercial versions of Linux.

As Chris-Harry stated, one could easily write an entire page about Linux vs Windows, however there are definitely many facts which need to be revealed to casual visitors. In order to put an end to all the confusion surrounding this issue.

"The true warrior knows that there are no enemies but himself. Those who appear before him as enemies are merely pale reflections of his own dark self. " - Anonymous

Hey everyone, when I spotted the topic of this board I just had to get in on this one. I work as a PC technician for a college where I live. I pewrsonally have worked extensively with both Windows and Linux. In performance Linux outclasses Windows hands down. In a side by side comparison which I had conducted myself earlier this year. I ran Ubuntu Linux (the Warty Warthog release), and Windows XP. Both of these computers were plugged via ethrenet cards into a network which connected to the Internet via a T1 line. I began this test in March, and have still have yet to have any difficulties with Ubuntu. While Windows XP on the other hand had it's first 'fatal error' 15 days after installation. Now as far as the security levels I had placed on these operating systems. With Ubuntu I just did the plain install without installing any updates, or adding extra security applications. Whereas with Windows XP, I had the embedded ICF (Internet Connection Firewall), as well as Norton System Works by Symantec installed and running, yet this still occurred..
    Additionally, Linux makes better use of hard drives, on the same machine which was a Dell Dimension Desktop and had a Pentium 995MHz CPU, 256MB of RAM, and a 30GB hard drive. Using Knoppix 3.6 on a LiveCD this time vs the installed Windows XP, ithe actual file retrieval time was quicker for Knoppix than with the preinstalled WinXP.
    this is what i have been trying to explain to a friend of mine... he thinks that windows is gold.. and he doesnt believe me... now i have proof...

As Chris-Harry stated, one could easily write an entire page about Linux vs Windows, however there are definitely many facts which need to be revealed to casual visitors. In order to put an end to all the confusion surrounding this issue.
    I accidently talked for 100min (2 periods at school), about linux... oops...

You won't find an unbiased opinion on this forum

One thing I have found interesting is the increased amount of advertising microsoft is spending trying to prove windows is better than linux. I think it shows how seriously MS takes the linux competition.

yeah well, more people are hearing about it.. the age (its a newspaper i subscribed to threw the school (YEAH CHEAP PAPERS), brags about it alot... bags everything from windows (like this guy had a whole page on bagging (if you dont know what bagging means, it means making fun of) the windows update system... compaired it to linux even...)

but, i think Bill might be taking some offence to it... really, its only recently that most (making up a name for people who airnt as serious into computers as us, but couldnt find one) people have been realising that windows is bad... constant WORLDLY ANNOUNCEMENTS ABOUT VIRUS!!! well, i am still trying to convince me parents that I NEED linux on the computer connected to the internet... (by the way, thats no bluff)... trying to get them to look at the computer in me room...

but seriously...

You won't find an unbiased opinion on this forum Wink
    i know i know... but before i tried linux out... i was a very open person... and i always speak the truth (of course sometimes that isnt the smartest thing), but after trying linux (i guess i have to thanks 2 things for that... APC who gave me the CD with their magazine, and me curiosity) and instantly i fell in love with it... pure love...

I guess when you have a slow computer, and you want to have some cool things on your computer, windows just doesnt hack it (its gets hacked)...

anyway... i think i accidently swayed on and off the topic like a drunk man trying to walk on a footpath (the footpath being the topic... me been listening in english, i didnt realise you had to do that in english )... but sorry people... you all know me evil attitude...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast