Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: New project but iso is too big

Senior Member registered user
    Belyi;

Your suspicions are probably right.

It is strange that the programs ran ok when downloaded from Debian in Unionfs but can't run after full install. A messed up rc directory would make sense.

It brings up a question. How can a remaster boot correctly if such a thing happens? I may have to change how I add programs...say, get permission to load!!!!!

I feel that apt-get install should take care of the details and it did with Unionfs, putting the program into kdemenu(s).

Since it does install to Kdemenu, the probability is that it also hits other kde elements as well.

The mechanics of performing the removal of /etc/rc.d and subsequent install of the original is a big exercise in dual mounts of 790 MB each.

This problem will erupt every time I load new programs as far as I can tell if it is the /etc/rc.d directory.

It is kdeinit that does not start so its related to the init 5 steps.

I think I need to retry. I can select some other programs in a retry but have to uninstall those I have already in file. Another exercise1

Thanks for your support......

IBelyi;
    Reviewed the remaster setup many times, performed many iterations and concluded with essentially the same thing I ended up with the first time. Kde does not initiate.

I made an iso with 748MB of apps and burned the iso. It booted to kde and the new apps were present in the KDE menu.

I used the prefix.iso generated earlier from the Knoppix3.8 CEBit and entered this new .iso via /mnt/src after mount -o loop and performed the cat concatenation.

Perhaps I have a problem with XFree by utilizing an .iso produced at a later time or maybe a time-stamp mixup.

I made a big effort to give this a second trial and know that the .iso I generated with added apps runs correctly. It is burned to DVD+RW.

The concatenation does not permit KDE to initialize. I used one less app, dropping kweather.

Can't decide what to do next...

Possibly the html file contains a clue to the difficulty?

EDIT: Perhaps a language problem? Font? Time and date? Myconfig--persistent home language? Boot log?

Seems likely it is in the boot ...prefix.iso.

Md5 mismatch?

Speak softly..use braille.

When faced with difficulties in performing Knoppix/Linux procedures, it is often a case of making errors.

In this case wherein I attempted to add programs to Knoppix3.8Cebit edition, I made errors in applying the re-mastering which affected the outcome.

I cleaned out my files and re-performed the whole shebang.

Lo! and behold...it worked. KDE came up and had all the new programs in the menu. The total size of the .iso is 748MB which was burned to DVD+RW at speed 4.

I am indebted to Belyi for his knxapp.gz procedure(s) and his patient replies to my questions.

I have outlined the procedure I used in a previous post as regards the remastering. The re-mastered .iso generated by the added apps is entered into /mnt/src to enable the concatenation with the KNOPPIX-prefix.iso and thus generates a KNOPPIX-full.iso having the new apps.

This procedure permits the addition of ~3.7GB of apps to the DVD burn (if you have the HDD space and the time to do the loading!!!!)

I regret having made all the errors

Hope this post helps another user to add to the KNOPPIX3.7 or 3.8 (either or both). The mkisofs routines are correct for these releases.

Good luck to users trying this means to make a larger than CD KNOPPIX burn!!

Operated the "split".iso with 748MB of apps in TORAM mode.

I had to utilize 3GB of RAM to enable the loading TORAM to occur. It required more than 2GB to respond to TORAM loading.

TORAM loaded in ~4min 35sec.

Operation was faster than normal and those programs tested ran well.

I look forward to the summer release of a KNOPPIX DVD.

Successful DVD burn of 3.8GB in "split" mode

After many attempts to use Video files to enhance the size of the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file, I decided to reverse my approach.

I entered the Video into the "prefix" newimage file before running the mkisofs command.

I entered too much Video in the first trial and it generated a concatenated file too large for the DVD disc.

I cut back to 2.4GB of Video in the Video directory I added to the newimage/KNOPPIX file.

I then ran the mkisofs routine to generate KNOPPIX-prefix.iso.

Having already made the "suffix" .iso , I entered it into /mnt/src.... mount -o loop KNOPPIX-suffix.iso /mnt/src

I then ran cat KNOPPIX-prefix.iso /mnt/src/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX > KNOPPIX-final.iso.

This .iso was burned to DVD+RW in k3b.

The resultant DVD booted in 3minutes 39 seconds to KONQEROR display in desktop.

The video files are found in the CDROM under KNOPPIX directory/VIDEO subdirectory. They can be copied to /Desktop to eliminate the access delay from CDROM. When played from Desktop they are in RAM.

The DVD disc is nearly fully burned, perhaps 3/16 inch of radius left on the disc which is not yet burned.

The DVD has cloop, uncompressed video, UNIONFS, and Klik.cmg all operable from a LiveDVD capable of full 4.4GB write space.

The test performed confirms that the DVD can be loaded to full capability using the "split.iso" method and if the files are compressed in /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX will produce a LiveDVD with 9GB of applications.

I ran....df -h.... and received the following:

__________________Device Size Used Avail Use Mounted On________________________________________________ ______

root 3.4M 17K 3.4M 1% /
    Devhdc 3.2G 3.2G 0 100% /CDROM
    Devcloop 1.9G 1.9G 0 100% /KNOPPIX
    ramdisk 1.6G 23M 1.6G 2% /ramdisk
    UNIONFS 7.9G 5.5G 2.4G 71% /UNIONFS

This LiveDVD demonstrates the use of compressed and uncompressed files together with Klik.cmg capability on a single bootable media with capability exceeding 9GB when using all file systems provided.

Another wild experiment

While booted in Knoppix v3.8, I created two .iso's of the /KNOPPIX /knoppix file, each with a different name.

I had previously generated a Knoppix-prefix.iso with modified minirt.gz per previous posts in this thread which I would concatenate with these as follows;

First, I concatenated the two identical .iso files (content identical) into a third .iso which listed as 1.4GB (twice the single KNOPPIX file size). Call it KNOPPIX3.iso....

Secondly, I concatenated the KNOPPIX-prefix.iso with the KNOPPIX3.iso.. as below;

cat KNOPPIX-prefix.iso KNOPPIX3.iso > Knoppix-final.iso

I burned the Knoppix-final .iso. It reported 4.6MB properties(Yes, 4.6MB=prefix size). Burned to DVD+RW 4x media.

I booted the DVD and had to make entries to get X and KDE running as follows;

/etc/init.d/xsession start
    root# exec startx

The system then booted to Kde. I had to make internet connection via the ..network card configuration but it had all the necessary static IP and nameserver data installed. Operation following the initiation of internet was normal.

Obviously, the reported 4.6MB in properties on the DVD is only that part of the DVD which is recognized by the normal filesize utility. The "mapped" KNOPPIX files are not reported. Obviously, they are present because the KDE desktop and apps are all present. Equally obvious is that both of the KNOPPIX files are not active, at least not to my knowledge...AFAIK.

It seems apparent that if the KNOPPIX3.iso were provided with 4.3GB of apps that the result would be a fully loaded DVD disc but that it would be represented in the properties as a 4.6MB DVD! This may or may not be true when the size of the KNOPPIX.iso exceeds 2GB.

Next step...make a new .iso with two more concatenated /KNOPPIX files!

Speak softly..use braille..

Sign in vets office: Back in ten minutes. SIT STAY!

Added two more segments

FWIW, I added two additional segments of KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX to increase the burn to 2.797GB.

The resultant burn produced a DVD+RW with properties of 4.6MB but the DVD has burned 2.797GB on the surface of the media.

This is characteristic of a "mapped" burn. It doesn't show KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file on the DVD. The mapping is established by the minirt.gz change to V3.8 in the prefix.iso as stated previously.

It would seem possible to cat together, as I have done, numerous segments totalling a full sized DVD and having a net content which is an actual single KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file of large proportions.

This is accomplished with techniques described previously in this thread by "split"technique, loop technique and crypt techniques (device-mapper) which can be applied to a large uncompressed KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file.

AFAIK it should work but I haven't a clue as to how to use crypt (no encryption but utilize it with "none").

I write this while booted on the DVD. It boots as quickly as a normal boot of Knoppix v3.8 but I would expect it to
    be longer if the full DVD was filled with a single /KNOPPIX file. It now has four identical /KNOPPIX files.

I guess I just have to fool around with KNOPPIX and not get bored!!!!!

Maybe the other three files can be addressed with cheatcodes even to the point of booting other versions? Probably not due to the prefix.iso being involved.

I have to try adding to the mix, just for fun!!!

Latest experiment

I reasoned that I should be able to modify the KNOPPIX.iso to allow a full 4.4GB of stored programs if I modified the procedure generating a prefix and a suffix .iso.

Thus; if I modify the suffix.iso by using the re-mastering procedure, I can load 2GB of program material into the suffix.iso and that is a compatible level of storage for a DVD+RW disc.

Then; the prefix .iso can be modified (the minirt.gz changed to the Belyi provided minirt.gz as one element of change), by adding either uncompressed files or CMG compressed files to the KNOPPIX directory prior to running it through mkisofs.

I performed the following in generating a prefix.iso with both compressed and uncompressed programs:

Copied the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file from the booted KNOPPIX v 3.8.2 per the remaster procedure.
    cp -RP /KNOPPIX /mnt/hdb3/.... this is cloop decompressed into /mnt/hdb3...

Re-booted to my archlinux system to enable preparation of the prefix.iso. .
    Created ..newimage..folder in /mnt/hdb3

Copied the contents of the KNOPPIX v 3.8 CD into the newimage folder..

Deleted the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file from newimage.

Deleted the minirt.gz file from newimage and replaced it with the minirt.gz file obtained from Belyi for the 3.8 KNOPPIX version.

Entered the uncompressed KNOPPIX in /mnt/hdb3 in the KNOPPIX directory of newimage. ( this is a file of about 1.7GB).

Created a folder in Desktop called CMG and entered several CMG compressed files into it.

Entered the CMG folder into the newimage KNOPPIX directory.

Ran the following mkisofs routine:

mkisofs -pad -l -r -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o /mnt/hdb3/KNOPPIX-prefix.iso /mnt/hdb3/newimage...........NOTE; no -J

The two .iso files were then concatenated:

(The suffix .iso was re-mastered in an earlier step and I find it convenient to just run the /KNOPPIX file in the
    concatenation) This file could be copied into /mnt/hdb3 as well.

Thus, I do: cat /mnt/hdb3/KNOPPIX-prefix.iso /mnt/hdb3/KNOPPIX > /mnt/hdb3/KNOPPIX-final.iso EDIT: Properties=2.6GB

( This procedure differs from the /mnt/src/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX as provided in Belyi's listing).

The result in my case was burned with DVD+RW media in k3b and booted correctly to KDE desktop.

I obtained access to the cdrom via /home/devices and opened the device. KNOPPIX directory held the uncompressed KNOPPIX and CMG folders which responded to selection by the mouse. The cmg files performed correctly and many games were accessed in the KNOPPIX uncompressed files.

This experiment proves that this method could provide for full-size 4.4GB LiveDVD with either 2GB in the normal KNOPPIX file and 2.4GB in the prefix .iso or leave the KNOPPIX file alone and load 3.7GB in to the prefix.iso. EDIT; the KNOPPIX file is the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file.

The device mapper introduced by the minirt.gz modification of the prefix.iso introduces the peculiarity that the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file no longer is present in an examination of the DVD contents in the normal way.

It should be possible to use other compression schemes in the prefix.iso besides CMG.

I haven't tried cloop in the prefix. EDIT: it would likely limit the added files to 2GB in the prefix. Perhaps cloop will be modified for DVD version?

This method doe not require splitting the uncompressed.iso and running compression routines on the splitted files and then doing loop procedures and device mapping.
    The minirt.gz provides the necessary divider to permit full DVD involvement and thus the method doesn't actually require re-mastering the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file, just modify the prefix.iso.

Placing apt-get install programs in the prefix.iso probably won't. The prefix needs compressed files similar to CMG for best use of the DVD storage space in a LIVEDVD.
    EDIT: Be aware that the ID for the booted DVD will likely be.....devicemappercdromcdrom...as it is in my system.

EDIT" I cannot find UNIONFS in the uncompressed KNOPPIX file added to the prefix. I wonder how it is handled in a cloop copy routine?

Latest news indicates a release of KNOPPIX 4.0 on DVD, stating that 9GB of uncompressed data is provided.

This willl be a big, big.big KNOPPIX release!!!!

It might be that the cloop file is provided at twice 2GB...thus is set at 4GB. This would accomodate systems limited to 4GB FAT related setups.

Actual full sized DVD is 4.4GB.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast