Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New project but iso is too big

Junior Member registered user
    I hope this bug will pacthed with the knoppix 3.8

Senior Member registered user
    Belyi;

Thanks for the reply and the description of the method made more vivid by your comments. The split of kernels produces 2GB for each kernel..total is the capacity of the DVD disc= ~4.4GB.

I originally utilized a re-master of a Cebit 3.4 DVD for my toram experiments. It is available on the Chemnitz FTP.ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/k...ix-remastered/

As I reported, I installed the minirt26.gz from the KnoppixCD with the linuxrc change for 3000KB ram. It performed in toram and utilized swap in experimenting with large video files (.vob). I believe that in toram mode, with 2GB of swap available, the ram portion transfers up to one half of total ram storage into swap when the ram limit is reached. It is interesting to watch the ram utilization in the status window.

Very little is available in DVD format for downloading although Klaus expects to release in summer 2005 a DVD version. I think it might be at the conference and not available for download.

The split format is worth a try.....it would probably permit placing the CD content on DVD media and allow the addition of 1.7GB of apps to either kernel.

This would enable the user to generate a DVD of the latest kernel versions and lots of apps...personalized.

Archlinux.org url has a listing of "current" and "extra" apps available in the OS (zsh is included). The present version is 0.7 "wombat".

I hope I have given the info you requested.

Generating a DVD from the latest CD with the split format should provide a 2.6 kernel with 2GB of added .cmg files , after booting, as well. These would be deleteable as a bonus.

Banned
    While playing with 3.7Gb compressed KNOPPIX image I run into problems with ash provided in minirt and cloop. I've updated the new-minirt26.gz to work around those problems.

And just for the record, here's the details of the problems:
    1. ash built-in "test -f" command returns False on very big files. Luckily "test -r" still returns True and that's what I switch all tests for KNOPPIX to in linuxrc script.
    2. cloop crashes and corrupts kernel when extra big file is specified as file= parameter during cloop load. Luckily specifying this file via ioclt call made by losetup does not have the same problem. I've change setup of the cloop image to have loading of the module and setting the file for /dev/cloop to work on as a separate steps.

Cheers,
    Igor

P.S. Oh where, oh where the KNOPPIX developers list went....

Banned
    Just for the record. The following Debian bug report contains the patch addressing the cloop problem with loading large files at initialization:
    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=298111

Igor

spent many hours attempting the test of the split system with limited success.

I performed the suffix on the downloaded Knoppix3.7.iso using the procedures you have outlined. I obtained a KNOPPIX-suffix.iso of size 703MB as setup during the procedure.

I then copied the .iso into a Directory named CD2. I opened this directory and delected the KNOPPIX directory. I then deleted minirt26.gz.

Following that, I entered your new-minir26.gz (renamed to minirt26.gz).

I ran the standard mkisofs commands to generate KNOPPIX-prefix.iso from the contents of CD2.

I then ran the concatenate commands to produce KNOPPIX-full.iso.

I burned that .iso in DVD+R/W and it had a partial boot using.....Knoppix26 myconfig=scan....

The error was ...cannot find filesystem.....

It seems there may not be a correct element in the suffix.iso.

Perhaps I should try the CD technique on the suffix.iso as well. The fact that it began the boot process suggests that the boot portion is correct in the prefix.iso.

I realize this doesn't provide a large recording but does enable a test of the idea.

The entire sequence was done in root.

Cheers
    Ray

Performed the removal of "boot" directory in a copy of the Knoppix3.7CD made to folder CD3 in root.

Copied all other elements into CD3 except 'Boot".

Ran an abreviated mkisofs after trying the standard for 2.6 kernels. I reduced mkisofs to the following(which may not be correct)

mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -hide-rr-moved -o /root/KNOPPIX-suffix1.iso /root/CD3

This produced KNOPPIX-suffix1.iso in root.

I ran the concatenate procedure on the two files KNOPPIX-prefix.iso and KNOPPIX-suffix1.iso to overwrite KNOPPIX-full.iso

This produced a 707.8MB DVD+R/W.

The boot was the same as before...cannot find filesystem...

Ray

Success!

I found that the Knoppix-full.iso I generated was misnamed so I ran it again thru k3b and re-burned the DVD+R/W which then produced a bootable DVD. Failed to work the first trial because I ran the failed .iso again!!

This is a 699MB Knoppix V3.7 running in kernel2.6 and responded to myconfig=scan.

It is essentially a rebuilt .iso with no changes except for the new-minirt26.gz that Belyi has kindly provided. I assume it provides the split parameters necessary for the 2GB per split additional apps.

Now I have to learn the ropes for adding apps to the system. (Assuming this is a split system with this method I have employed).

Perhaps someone can try loading apps using the Belyi ideas and report all about it.
    Ray

Belyi;

I inserted the KNOPPIX folder from my DVD of 1.8GB into the KNOPPIX-suffix2.iso and burned a new DVD.

Unfortunately, the kernel wasn't able to handle the cloop system but it did try to boot up but with oodles of cloop errors.

Not much available for full sized DVD other than Linux Tag.

Must have to "roll ur own".====================

================================================== ================================================== =========================================
    The Voice of America..cell phones....

Belyi advises that, yes the method I utilized produces a split format, but...it doesn't give a suffix.iso portion which has more than 2GB of capability.

The filesystem generated in his procedure permits the insertion of larger than 2GB apps as I understand the arrangement. (only understand partly!).

Belyi has plans to change minirt26.gz to enable an easier use of the split system...stay tuned!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast