Thread: knoppix 102

knoppix 102

thanks for the response on knoppix 101 general info....
    now can I get some info about Knoppix and the internet

1. Will knoppix access the internet in the same way the main OS accesses the internet?
    2. will I need to boot up a Knoppix CD first, then try to access the internet?
    3. Will Knoppix operate on the internet in windows? Or will Knoppix operate under Wine?

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: knoppix 102

Quote Originally Posted by BajaPorsche
    thanks for the response on knoppix 101 general info....
    now can I get some info about Knoppix and the internet

1. Will knoppix access the internet in the same way the main OS accesses the internet?
    Well, yes, since as far as many of us are concerned Knoppix is the main OS. But what you mean by "in the same way" is not clear. Knoppix has a Web Browser (more than one the last time I looked), and it's easy enough to add others if you really want (see kilk). It does not run Microsoft's "Internet Explorer" browser, so results visiting some websites (paricularly ones designed to only work properly with IE by some evil monopoly) may be different, but this is true for any browser to some extent. It has tools to do most other common internet based activity, such as sending and receiving e-mail and IRC chat. Please define "in the same way".

As opposed to what? Sitting the CD next to the computer and trying to get onto the Internet before Knoppix is booted? You could try that. The use of recreational drugs may help (only where legal, of course). It tends to be more of a spiritual journey that way than booting Knoppix first though.

3. Will Knoppix operate on the internet in windows? Or will Knoppix operate under Wine?
    There have actualy been some hacks that run Knoppix under Windows. The ability to find any sane reason for doing so is beyond my grasp. If you just want to avoid the Microsoft IE experience and problems, get a good browser for Windows like Firefox. But if you really want to run Knoppix under Windows there is data about doing so in these forums. I do not have a link handy, but you could start by using the search feature at the top of the page and looking for the term "under windows" (including the quotes). Make sure that you search the knoppix.net site, not the entire web. Although I have answered your question, I do not recommend doing this for anyone who is in the early learning stages that you seem to be.

WINE is used to run Windows programs under Linux. Not the other way around. So no, it would have nothing to do with running Knoppix under Windows.

from Harry Kuhman
    . Please define "in the same way".
    from Bajaporsche
    in accordance with this type procedure;
    (a) turn power to computer.
    (B) turn computer on (boot up computer?????)
    (c) then click the aol icon, wait for proper aol window.
    (d) enter proper password, then click "OK" button.

but in between steps (b) and (c) I would boot up the Knoppix CD?

BajaPorsche wrote:

from Harry Kuhman
    As opposed to what? Sitting the CD next to the computer and trying to get onto the Internet before Knoppix is booted? You could try that. The use of recreational drugs may help (only where legal, of course). It tends to be more of a spiritual journey that way than booting Knoppix first though.
    from bajaporsche
    No....like this....setting the CD next to my cup of coffee...accessing the internet on my original OS, then booting up the knoppix CD after I have accessed the internet......
    to seek enlightenment, one must first be wise, for wisdom will lead you away from sources, who tend to hinder.

from Harry Kuhman
    . Please define "in the same way".
    from Bajaporsche
    in accordance with this type procedure;
    (a) turn power to computer.
    (B) turn computer on (boot up computer?????)
    (c) then click the aol icon, wait for proper aol window.
    (d) enter proper password, then click "OK" button.

but in between steps (b) and (c) I would boot up the Knoppix CD?
    AOL is not the Internet. AOL does give you (along with other things) access to the Internet (access that many people are less than impressed with, but technically it's still access). Exactly how you have to deal with AOL I'm not sure, and it could well vary from country to country. You are not going to find an AOL icon under Knoppix. But if you have questions about accessing AOL then you should clearly state that you are talking about AOL and give as much detail as you can about any special software requirements that you have for using AOL now under windows, as well as where you are.

from bajaporsche
    No....like this....setting the CD next to my cup of coffee...accessing the internet on my original OS, then booting up the knoppix CD after I have accessed the internet.......
    I think you're on to something here. Accessing "the Internet" with Knoppix in this way will likely give you a very positive answer tio the question "Will knoppix access the internet in the same way the main OS accesses the internet?". Go for it.

Thanks for providing me with the proper question, that i didn't know how to ask..... How about this question Harry.

"Will knoppix access the internet in the same way the main OS accesses the internet?"

and is their software included within the knoppix CD that has an internet access provider, or would I download an internet access provider onto knoppix?

Thanks for providing me with the proper question, that i didn't know how to ask..... How about this question Harry.

"Will knoppix access the internet in the same way the main OS accesses the internet?"

and is their software included within the knoppix CD that has an internet access provider, or would I download an internet access provider onto knoppix?
    Most "Internet Service Providers" can be accessed with software on the Knoppix CD. How you access the interent and what hardware you have is a big issue. If you use a dial-in modem and you have a modem that is only designed to work with Windows (a so called Win-modem), then you might have problem using that particular hardware with Knoppix, but you can use oter modems that work with Linux just fine. Some ISP's will cut costs and provide a DSL modem that only works with a USB connection and again getting the right software to control such a connection can be a problem. I connect by Ethernet (in my case through a router and into a DSL modem). Most DSL systems require you to talk to them with PPPoE protocol. Knoppix has PPPoE software included, although it may have to be set up for your Internet account. When using a router (very inexpensive now), the router takes care of the PPoE when needed, so Knopix users with a router or even those foolish enough to run without one on many cable systems can just connect to the Internet through an Ethernet port on their computer. You can simply boot and browse the web, without starting anything (the browser is opened automatically at start-up).

Knoppix contains no software for any particular Internet Service Provider, it generally isn't needed or desired.

Senior Member registered user
    Baja, do yourself a favor and look into broadband. It's only a little more expensive than AOL, but a lot faster. Once you set it up, all you would do under Knoppix is to click the Mozilla icon (looks like a tyrannosaurus) - you're there. You will love it.

If you insist on dial-up, I noticed that NetZero has a client for Lindows. Maybe it would work (but I don't recommend it).

jd

Thanks all for the advice.
    Knoppix sounds like a good OS.... but it's still too complicated for me at this time..
    I guess I'm too simple minded, but maybe I'll try it some day, when I have more time to try and figure it out.

Knoppix sounds like a good OS.... but it's still too complicated for me at this time.....t.
    Interesting evaluation if you haven't even booted the Live CD yet, since Knoppix was designed to make it extremely easy for people to try Linux with minimal effort.

Junior Member registered user
    Baja... some advice...

------
    A) When you turn your comp on next time, look for something on the original screen that says 'press __ to open BIOS setup' or something before windows starts to load. Once you learn that key, press it before windows loads. The next part is kind of tricky for beginners, considering the BIOS is somewhat dangerous if you use the wrong options, but just look for something that says 'Boot Options' or 'Boot order' and what key that corresponds with and you should be fine (I'm not sure if you're familiar with bios, but you don't use the mouse, just arrow keys and there should be instructions in a small box on the screen telling you movement/selection controls. This sounds complicated but it's really not). All you want to do is change this 'Boot Order" so that your cd rom drive is before the Hard drive.

B) Save these bios settings. Usually theres a key like F10 or F12 or the like on that tiny instruction box that says 'Exit and Save Changes', if not hitting the escape key would probably prompt you for whether you'd like to save or not.

C)After this is done and you've left the bios, windows will automatically load. Put the knoppix cd in the cdrom drive and shut down the system.

D) Power up the system again, and the knoppix screen should appear. Press enter. If it asks you some inane question about the graphics (VGA) mode don't worry about it much, I usually press #3 or #4 out of the options it asks you to choose from.

E) Knoppix will load. There you go, explore knoppix and it's programs. When you're done, shut knoppix down and before the computer automatically turns off (after a text screen) the cdrom drive door will open and the screen will ask you to remove the disk. Do so and close the cdrom drive, and the system will shut down. Next time you start, it will again boot automatically to windows. From now on all you need to do to access knoppix is turn on the machine with that knoppix cd in the drive, and follow the other part of step D if necessary.

Be careful, but this will give you a fair amount of understanding of knoppix, and it's not all that difficult either. The first step is a bit of a leap for some beginners, but once you cross it using knoppix is a piece of cake.
    -------

wow, didn't mean for that to turn into a whole guide O_o; . Any way as to your other questions, WINE is an emulator. Emulators pretend to be a program and to work like that program (WINE is inside knoppix and pretends to be windows so that some of your programs in windows work). It takes a bit of configuring before it works, of course, but most of the configuration is very simple, and involves you clicking 'nect' a bunch of times.

As for internet, if you have broadband (which I highly recommend), all you have to do is plug in that internet cable before turning on the computer and loading knoppix, and knoppix should automatically detect it and give you access to the internet. It's worked for me tons of times, most helpfully at hotels.

Anyone, If I said something wrong in this quick step-by-step, please correct me (hopefully I got that all right)

And BajaPorsche, please don't be offended by how...erm, novice-esque I made that tutorial- I have no idea of your knowledge when it comes to windows, the bios, etc. I'm just one of those take-no-chances types