Thread: knoppix to windows

Junior Member registered user

knoppix to windows

I would like to take files and download them from knoppix live cd and have them sent to my windows me partition to be used. I just dont know how. there are files i need to download from the net. knoppix seems to pick up my nic card easy and i would like to be able to pass them over to windows. i need it for repairs to my nic card so windows will pick it up. I would also like to download some iso files of other distros and burn them through windows too. I have 3 spare partitions i could mess with on my second hard drive if needed. I just dont want to install knoppix becasue this is my fathers computer. any help on this issue would be greatly apreciated.
    thank you!

Administrator Site Admin-
    This could be easy or a serious problem; you didn't give enough information. If you use Win XP then you likely have NTFS partitions. Knopix should never be used to write to an NTFS partition, it will corrupt it.

If you use a version of Windows that uses one of the FAT type of partitions then Knoppix can write to them fine. Knoppix normally only opens the drives as read only to prevent you from accidently harming your windows system. But you can over ride this read only feature. How to do so is below. Do not do this if you have NTFS partitions or if you do not know your partition type. Do no think that if Knoppix lets you change the access to read/write it is safe to do so, Knoppix will let you destroy an NTFS partition if you want to.

To change the access from read only to read/write either use the mount command (see man mount for details) or you can do it right from the desktop icon for the partition. Right click on the icon.for the disk parition, then from the Actions sub menu you can change the access from read only to read/write (or back again).

If you have NTFS partition do not do this. Consider adding another drive that you format with FAT partitions, or use a USB memory stick or other alternate storage device.

Banned
    if you are having trubs with your nic in windose, then if it works in knopiix, it's not windose
    but if it was working and now doesn't, knoppix won't fix it.
    if it's dead, it's dead.

if it worx in knoppix, you are doing sumthing wrong in windose

if you have a (clearly stated) windows me system, there is no point in mentioning that you mught be in a WinXP system
    ((( Me suxx !!!! )))

but networking should be a sameness as win98se

if u need to pass files accross to windose, then you need to enable write mode in your knoppix desktop
    the default access to your hard-drive is read-only

right-click your desktop icon for the hda1 and check the permissions....
    make a directory where you can find it and save files a s necessary
    don't blame me if it goes pear shaped.....

what do u mean pear shaped.... will it matter if i save to anotherpartition?

Senior Member registered user
    To download from the net & store to HD:
    Click on the 'hda1' icon. Konqueror will open showing hda1 (your C drive) in read only mode.
    Right Click on the hda1 icon, select 'actions' & change read/write mode to read/write.
    Using the same konqueror window, surf to where you want to download the file from & download the file. When asked where to same to, save directly to an address on your Cdrive which will be '/mnt/hda1/My_Documents(or whatever)'.
    Should work.
    If you have problems:
    1. Konqueror won't surf. Shouldn't be a prob, you've already accessed the net from knoppix.
    2. hda1 won't mount (ie you can't even read it): try mounting manually: in a terminal, 'sudo mount -rw /dev/hda1'. (You munst be root to mount stuff. sudo makes you root for one command). If it errors saying already mounted, unmount it: 'umount /dev/hda1' (umount is not a misprint, the command is umount not unmount) then try to remount it as above. It may need to be told where to mount: 'sudo mount -rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1'. If there is no /mnt/hda1 folder, use /mnt/test.
    I am assuming that this is a winME system as indicated, not winXP. Harry K is correct, you must not direct write to an NTFS filesystem like XP uses. But winME uses a vfat file format which is OK.

so i am guessing it is ok to download stuff from the net directly to that partition... is that right?

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamin1254
    so i am guessing it is ok to download stuff from the net directly to that partition... is that right?
    You have not told us what type of partiton it is, so this question simply cannot be answered. See my pevious post in this thread.

Banned
    I meant, if you start playing with files on your windows disk, you could do some serious damage.
    that's partly why the read-only mode at first.

if oyu want to download files, should be no prob

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by marhleet
    I meant, if you start playing with files on your windows disk, you could do some serious damage.
    that's partly why the read-only mode at first.

if oyu want to download files, should be no prob
    Yes you should be able to download onto your HD. I see from your first post you have winME so your file system will be vfat which is OK for Linux to write to.
    The HD partitions are mounted read only by default for a number of reasons, the biggest being to prevent anyone from accidentally screwing up a HD system. I have done this (screwed up that is), accidentally deleting windows once.