Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a "thank you" to you all.

a "thank you" to you all.

hello all.

may i take this opportunity to thank all the people who have posted advice and solutions to problems within this forum, i (like many others i feel) have scoured these forums over the last few weeks looking for answers to issues i hit while i made the break from windows.

these answers i found, applied and have enabled me to make great headway in using Knoppix.

i have many years IT experience, worked for large networking companies, support roles and now i run my own IT support and maintenance company in Spain, however all the while i was spoon fed windows, this "linux" thing kept nagging at me...

i played around with it a little a few years ago, red hat mainly, however when you think you know an industry its not nice learning to walk again by changing os like that, so back on the shelf it went.

as time has gone on, i have become more and more aware that this "conditioned" atmosphere IT exists in isn't so healthy.

i (like many others) became irritated with the constant virus and spy ware (in my opinion the next real nemesis of widows) problems on both my windows systems and customers, the constant upgrades, service packs, high speed versioning etc.

so off i went in search of an alternative that satisfied me, the route was...

DSL, then Feather Linux, then KNOPPIX!

now Knoppix (and the support these forums have provided) has enabled me to turn the way i work around. i have not booted to windows for 5 weeks, apart from for support calls.

sounds silly but to me its a goal reached, a mountain climbed.

i have procrastinated a lot, spent an unhealthy amount of time on my system, and written notes all along the way, but i am pleased to be here.

i am not knocking windows, it has its place, it has a presence in the market place, however its VERY oversold and over marketed, in my opinion Knoppix is as good... no wait... its better.

this is my way of saying thanks to the people in this forum who by their contributions have helped me and all others like me get the most from this operating system (you know who you are).

they found ways around things, solutions to problems and had the decency to tell us lot how they did it, they sat up all night head scratching over other peoples problems and then provided the answers, all on their own time all unpaid for.

this supporting community is the reason i managed to make the switch, as time goes on, i want to be in the position to give something back.

my learning curve is so steep now its painful and i am learning to walk all over again but thats fine.

my only regret is that i never did this years ago...

Junior Member registered user
    I find spending time reading through this forum every now and then a great way to learn about linux. There was so much I didnt know before I came here. I don't post much, but I do visit very often.

I have been using knoppix for a while now, and I am reading through tutorials on making a dual boot option. I hope to have one soon so I never have to go onto windows again.

Senior Member registered user
    trust me... duel boot is easier then it sounds... (most of the time anyway)

if you want to give something back to knoppix. help some people out with it everynow(tips on how you got things working etc) and give some cds to friends and show them how to use it.

giving cd's to friends and showing them how to use it is the easy part... thats what i did... then, when they ask you a question you dont know... just run out of the room...

if you want to give something back to knoppix. help some people out with it everynow(tips on how you got things working etc) and give some cds to friends and show them how to use it.
    Im going to make copies of my knoppix and give them to friends. One friend has shown an interest and wants to try it out as well. I have converted a few people to Firefox, and they are all pleased with it!

If I see anyone ask a question I can help with I will try and help out

FireFox is easy to convert too... mainly because its stress free...

Quote Originally Posted by chris-harry
    giving cd's to friends and showing them how to use it is the easy part... thats what i did... then, when they ask you a question you dont know... just run out of the room...
    Long ago I tried convincing a friend to use knoppix. He never even knew there was the option of making a dual boot system, it took me a while to realize that. He thought installing any distro of linux would replace windows and was too big of a leap to take. Thats when I explained dual boot to him, and then I gave him a knoppix cd, configured his bios so it would run, and he liked alot. Its interesting how alot of people don't know about such possibilities yet. I haven't switched to a dual boot yet, I still use the knoppix live cd (I tried installing Debian, but the whole partitioning part just confused me a bit much at the time). That doesn't mean I won't try again though eventually. This definitely got me a great start into the world of linux, after hearing so much about it and never having the guts to try it, with little hard drive space, and realizing that I didn't have to install it.

hehe... most of me friends know i love linux... and hate windows with a pation...

so... they usually hear what i can do with linux...

hay, i did something today...

the kids at me school (CURSE THEM!!!), all wanna make stick fighting movies, and games... but use powerpoint instead of flash (HENCE THE CURSE!!!)... anyway... I converted a few today... when i decided to make a crazzy scientist (one that does bio), dance...

that i feel proud... now... the next step... show them linux!!!

gildedlink wrote:
    >>
    Long ago I tried convincing a friend to use knoppix. He never even knew there was the option of making a dual boot system, it took me a while to realize that. He thought installing any distro of linux would replace windows and was too big of a leap to take.
    >>

Yes, it's all to common. MS have been quite successful really, at educating a couple of generations in a totally erronous computing model.

Especially the "it's all to technical" belief that seems to infect everyone. Where as, the real reason is just that the docs sux (grin).

Dilbert came up with something funny yesterday ...

------------------------------------------------
    MS Headquarters:

(employee: standing)
    (guess_who: not seen, at a desk)

employee: [We misspelled a word in our spell checking software]

guess_who: [You know what to do]

employee: [Um ... use our Market Power to make the new word an Industry Standard ?]

guess_who: [And ... ?]

employee: [Kill myself as an example to others ?]

guess_who: [In our booth at "COMDEX" ]
    ------------------------------------------------

Well, it's a bit funnier with the pictures

jm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast