Senior Member registered user

Thanks a bunch!

anytime

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Knoppix V3.8 available via bittorrent

Quote Originally Posted by ironstorm
    The tracker was truncating the torrent file for me at about 16KB, finally got it down intacted and I've mirrored the .torrent file on my blog at http://stacktrace.org/
    I'm surprised this isn't mentioned in the post, but is this for an English Version or a German version? This is an English forum so many people may Expect this is an English version, but since CeBIT is in Germany my guess is the CeBIT version is German. If so is there an English version? Any secrets one needs to know about the cheat code to switch it to English (like where the = sign is)? Or Maybe this isn't even an issue at all in 3.8 (Fabian indicated there might be a nice boot menu system, it would sure be nice to have one version that worked in both cases by selecting the right options from the boot menu.)

on my keyboard i had to use shift and 9 or 0 i forget

i just use the cheat code lang=us took me a while to find the = . but yes its in english as well

Junior Member registered user
    Well - of course I should have mentioned it:
    I don't even know anything about the language version, the torrent is providing. Actually I have not yet had the oppertunity to test the iso.

Junior Member registered user

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    I'm surprised this isn't mentioned in the post, but is this for an English Version or a German version? This is an English forum so many people may Expect this is an English version, but since CeBIT is in Germany my guess is the CeBIT version is German. If so is there an English version? Any secrets one needs to know about the cheat code to switch it to English (like where the = sign is)? Or Maybe this isn't even an issue at all in 3.8 (Fabian indicated there might be a nice boot menu system, it would sure be nice to have one version that worked in both cases by selecting the right options from the boot menu.)
    The only difference between the two versions AFAIK is that the english version has lang=us as a parameter in the isolinux boot up info...
    if you use "knoppix lang=us" on the German CD everything is English, just as if you use "knoppix lang=de" on the English CD you get all German, lang=it for Italian... etc, etc.

I'm surprised this isn't mentioned in the post, but is this for an English Version or a German version?
    It defaults to both a German keyboard map and German for all dialogs & menus. Like pureone had mentioned, this can be changed to US English at boot up by using:
    knoppix lang=us
    where the '=' is done with SHIFT + 0

I have already hexedited and created a fully default US English version of this 3.8 ISO file. If anyone is interested, the process for hexediting the ISO is described here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=78397#78397. The hexedit allows me to edit the /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg file. I searched & then replaced every entry of lang=de to lang=us.

Quote Originally Posted by tboege
    Download the .torrent from the tracker at:
    http://www.boegenielsen.dk:6969/

I have a rather limited uploadspeed, so please consider seeding, if you already have the iso.
    Just exactly how would one do that? I've got Azureus but couldn't figure out how to help out. I d-loaded the ISO via e-mule, took a day and a night, terribly slow, but couldn't figure out how to contribute it to a torrent once it was d-loaded. Would like to help out, I have a cable internet connection. Any hints appreciated. BTW, 3.8 is kind of cool, Knoppix just keeps getting better all the time. This is a German distro, you must use shift-zero to get the '=' sign to use the cheat code "lang=us" if you are in America. Worked great. How come Germans have a different keyboard? Different characters? Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by xfiles
    Just exactly how would one do that? I've got Azureus but couldn't figure out how to help out. I d-loaded the ISO via e-mule, took a day and a night, terribly slow, but couldn't figure out how to contribute it to a torrent once it was d-loaded. Would like to help out, I have a cable internet connection. Any hints appreciated. BTW, 3.8 is kind of cool, Knoppix just keeps getting better all the time. This is a German distro, you must use shift-zero to get the '=' sign to use the cheat code "lang=us" if you are in America. Worked great. How come Germans have a different keyboard? Different characters? Just wondering.
    Just open the torrent with a bittorrent client. When the client asks you (windows) where you want to download to, choose the location of the existing file. If you are using Linux, just cd to the directory the iso is in before opening the torrent. If you are using bittorrent 4.0 for windows, note that it will try to download to the desktop by default. You will need to change the "settings" within the GUI to make it ask you where to download each file. When it sees that the file already exists, it will check the existing file. Then, it will automatically seed the file. I'm on cable and got the file via bittorrent in about 6 hours. Now all we need is to slashdot the torrent, as to make it stay up long term. Not everyone reads these forums, you know.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast