Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 3.8 released at CeBIT

Senior Member registered user

Knoppix 3.8 released at CeBIT

"The German tech news site Heise Online reports that Knoppix 3.8 is being presented at CeBIT (Hall 9, Stand C39). Knoppix 3.8 has kernel 2.6 as default, KDE 3.3.2, OpenOffice 1.1.4, as well as... Firefox 1.0 and Thunderbird 1.0. There's also a really neato new thing involving unionfs . It seems to imply that you can change most anything on the running system, even as it is running from CD - and changes can be stored too (even on NTFS)."

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/05/0...tid=90&tid=106

Let's hope that the download will be available beforehand so that people won't have to travel to CeBIT just in ordert to get the recent release in time.

Greetings,
    probono

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Knoppix 3.8 announced for CeBIT

Quote Originally Posted by probono
    Let's hope that the download will be available beforehand ....
    My expectation is just the opposite, 3.8 will be used as a draw for the show and so it will be very unlikely that it will be available beforehand. I just hope that is will be available legitimately shortly after the release (unlike the DVD version of 3.7 which didn't seem to see quick release through legitimate channels).

Is there anywhere that hosts daily builds of Knoppix on the net that can be tested out, like other distributions and open source software often have? Or is more tightly controlled?
    Looking forward to trying 3.8 with respect to using it as a rescue disk - hope it has improved NTFS read capability as previous versions seem to be able to read about 60% of an NTFS disk and then hang in deep directory structures, when trying to copy to another FAT32 drive/partition.
    Its been a few years since I dabbled in Linux and Knoppix liveCD is just what I wanted back then but got frustrated that there was nothing this easy to use.

KDE 3.3.2?

Why Not KDE 3.4 ? KDE 3.4 will be released in March ...

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantos
    Just a guess, but I expect because they are getting it ready and testing everything now (if it has not already gone to get CD's pressed). It's not very reasonable to be critical that they don't want to delay things too long, add new software, and not be able to test completely before a release deadline that they can't move.

Hi all,

there is already a screenshot of Knoppix 3.8 in the recent print edition of the c't magazine, so my guess would be that it's already finished for quite some time.

Seems indeed as if it will be the same procedure as in the past years: We won't see it when it's ready, we'll see it when Klaus Knopper wants us to see it. That is of course his own decision, and it's up to us whether we like it.

Greetings,
    probono

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantos
    Just a guess, but I expect because they are getting it ready and testing everything now (if it has not already gone to get CD's pressed). It's not very reasonable to be critical that they don't want to delay things too long, add new software, and not be able to test completely before a release deadline that they can't move.
    It has already gone go get CDs pressed and on CeBit they normally press _many_ CDs.

And yes, I guess you will have to wait like always ...

I also hope KDE 3.4 will be in the official 3.8 (whenever that will come out), but if not you can just get it yourself:

apt-get update
    apt-get -t unstable install kdelibs4

from CD should just work .

Thats what UnionFS is all about; if you wondered. I think this will also help Klik a lot in the future.

cu

Fabian

PS: This is no "official" statement, but just my private opinion.

I also hope KDE 3.4 will be in the official 3.8 (whenever that will come out), but if not you can just get it yourself:

apt-get update
    apt-get -t unstable install kdelibs4

from CD should just work .

Thats what UnionFS is all about; if you wondered. I think this will also help Klik a lot in the future.

cu

Fabian

PS: This is no "official" statement, but just my private opinion.
    If thats true it will be well worth the wait!!! So we would need to burn everything to rewriteables then right?

One thing intrigues me about the new Knoppix 3.8.

How can you write new stuff to the disk when the disk is chock full at the start?

Does it require DVD?

Edix asks whether we use rewriteables. If so, I find 700MB RW harder to find than 700MB CD-R. 650MB is more the norm for CD-RW

ICPUG

It uses a new file system technique that allows you to stack filesystems. I believe Knoppix 3.8 will use UnionFS to stack a writeable filesystem on top of a read-only filesystem so that changes to the stack appear to be made to the read-only but are in fact saved to the writeable filesystem. See this article http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7714 and the UnionFS project page http://www.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/project-unionfs.html.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast