Thread: Copy file to another Windows PC or USB device

Copy file to another Windows PC or USB device

Hi,

This is my first time using Knoppix to recover WinXP Pro SP2 files. I was able to create bootable Knoppix cd and see the WinXP hard disk, even get to the data, but I can't copy data to shared folder on another Windows system. I can see the domain, server and shared folder but when I attempt to copy I get this error: Access Denied. Could not write to smb://administrator@joe/docs/outlook.pst

I don't have any encryption, everyone has full rights to this folder, am I missing a step?
    Another option would be to copy files to a USB memory key, but I have no clue where to look for it, using Knoppix 3.7.

Please respond using clarification as well instructions for dummies (I found the console), it's my first time using Knoppix and I’m lost … as donkey. If I have to mount a volume or mount a USB with read/write rights, I haven't been able to figure that out.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Plug in a USB stick.
    Now do you see an icon on your desktop called SDA1 ?
    If not goto console and type mount /dev/sda1 rw

Now you have access to your usb stick as a normal drive.

Hope this helps

Rony

Senior Member registered user
    the correct command for mounting a usb key looks like this:
    mkdir /mnt/usbkey
    sudo mount -t vfat /dev/uba1 /mnt/usbkey
    You may need to change the /dev/uba1 to /dev/sda1 depending on how your system identifies the device.

as for the samba thing, you would be better off starting the samba server on the broken machine, and going to grab the files you need from the non-broken machine. There's a way to set it up so you can write remotely but I don't remember at the moment.
    On the windows machine, click start -> run -> \\192.168.x.x (the ip of the broken machine. can be found by typing ifconfig at the broken machine's terminal)
    this will open the broken box's shares.

Thanks guys for your help. I have recovered the files and was able to use Samba, however the transfer process was horrible, it took me close to 9hrs to copy one file (outlook.pst) which was only 87MB. I think that file was damaged and knoppix was able to copy kilobyte by kilobyte and from time to time it would copy few mb, but it required my involvement by re initiating the copy/past command.

Couple of questions related to above incident:
    1.Could I use a command to allow file be copied automatically with out me continue to drag and drop every time it hit a bad sector?
    2.How can I tell what the USB device is named: is it /dev/sda1 or /dev/uba1, is there some type of standard?

Unrelated to above issue:
    Where can I start learning about Linux, books (simple to understand) very basic and then advance. I feel like a monkey following directions still unable to understand the concept of Linux. My experience included DOS and Windows but never had devotion to learn Linux although it looks like thats where the world is leaning to.

Thanks again for your help.

Two books that use Knoppix:
    NewsForge | Review: "Knoppix Hacks" - I wrote this review. The author, Kyle Rankin, also posts on this forum. Great book for experienced people or people not afraid to experiment.

"Moving to Linux: Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye!" - Even though I am not a newbie (I'm a Unix & Linux sysadmin), I bought this book. Great for newbies.

Knoppix uses Debian GNU/Linux as its foundation. Many Linux distributions also use Debian as their base. Ubuntu (google for it) will release their latest version in April. I have used it and follow the developement of it quite closely and it is a good choice for new users. Another Debian based distro is Mepis (again google for it or visit distrowatch.com). Here is a review of a book that teaches Linux and uses Mepis Review of "Point & Click Linux!". Again great for newbies.

I hope this helps.
    James

Rute is probably the one Linux book you'll need. Google for it (you can also buy it as hardcopy). I also like Linux Cookbook. There's an online version.

Trying to retrieve data off windows laptop...

Hi

My windows XP laptop has died and one of the guys at work suggested I use Knobbix. I have used Linux a little before and forgot how fun it was to use - so I've managed to install it and can find my files but I'm having the usual problems..

trying to mount a USB pen drive - I have seen countless examples like the one above on mounting the drive but what I have not been able to deduce is the answer to the same question the original poster asked :

"How can I tell what the USB device is named: is it /dev/sda1 or /dev/uba1, is there some type of standard?"

I've been trying everyway I can think off to get my files off - I would use ftp but can't seem to get a connection to the internet (although I can get to my router's web based admin), I have tried to mount the usb drive but can't seem to find out what the device is named - my usb fob is *not* automatically mounted if I start the machine up with it installed nor does an icon appear if I plug it in.

I can also see my machine in the network in Samba but when I attempt to logon I get a login prompt - access is still denied despite me entering the correct windows login information.

THanks in advance for any light anyone can shed

I can also see my machine in the network in Samba but when I attempt to logon I get a login prompt - access is still denied despite me entering the correct windows login information.
    Have you tried connecting the other way around? Create a shared folder on your Windows machine and browse it with LinNeighborhood, a useful tool that comes with Knoppix.

still no joy

Hi

I tried it the other way around but still no joy - I also read this thread http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16258

And can ping my Knoppix installation from windows but cannot logon - 'im guessing its something to do with permissions. WI cannot ping the desktop pc however from my Knoppix machine - I'm going to see if perhaps I can get the net connection up and working so that I can ftp my files to a box somewhere.

SUCCESS.....

OKay after reading through a few more threads such as this one http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19208

this is what I did

1. sudo mii-tool -r
    Not sure what this does - I would be really glad if someone could explain what it does

2. netcardconfig (as root) and configured my card to use DHCP and pick up an IP address from my router

3. ran ifconfig to retrieve my IP address and then pinged the IP address from my windows box which worked

4. started samba from the command line as root using sambastart and when prompted enabled all files to be mounted and shared

I went into windows network neighbourhood - clicked on the Knoppix share and entered the Knoppix username and passwoed (not the root ) this gave me access to laptop and all the mounted harddisks, I then simply copied all the files I wanted. Great

I was going to end this post saying that I was a bit dissapointed that I couldn't get a internet connection up as that would be the only thing stopping me from sticking with XP - but guess what - on a whim I just tried a website again in firefox and it worked!!!! Knoppix rocks!!!

Thanks for all your help guys - although I would still like to know a) how to find out what a device is named so I can mount it and b) what that sudo command did and why it all works now!