Hey Guys,
Heres the complete story:
Lost Windows OS due to "sys.ini" file corruption(source unknown). Had to re-install Win ME on primary HD (a Maxtor 10GB) from the "Restore'/Recovery" CD. Had a secondary HD (a WD Caviar 40GB) already installed at the time of the system "restore".

PROBLEM: All partition & file data on the secondary HD (the WD 40GB) seems to be "lost" gone.

QUESTION 1: Is the data really gone or is just the registry & partition data changed due to the "restore"???????????????.

These are the data recovery steps attempted so far:
1) used FDISK to check the partition info on the WD HD>>> no partition info listed.
2) used Western Digital's "Data LifeGuard Diagnostics" program to check >>> no partition info listed.
3) used "PC File Recovery" program to scan the WD HD for data files >>> found 700+ files which it can't read.

QUESTION 2: How can I use KNOPPIX to access/read/write/ & recover the data ???????????
Have Knoppix on disk & it boots up perfectly (many thanks!! ).
Have read "greenfly's" info on using the GPART program but am not sure exactly how to implement/use it (eg. where & when to type the command line info etc.) and/or what other steps are needed to recover data.

Any help appreciated
Thanks in advance
RGPHNX
PS- I know this info is here somewhere- have searched >>> "Data recovery" & other terms in the forums >>
gives thousands of posts. Have read for hours but can't narrow this down even with filtered searches. I'm not lazy, just need good sound info help.