Thread: linux to linux shares

linux to linux shares

hello all.

most (if not all) of the posts in this forum are showing how to share from linux to windows or from windows to linux, however i am trying to replace all my systems with knoppix.

so i am at the stage where i need to replace my windows file server (not a server actually just a machine with a lot of disks and these disks are shared).

now i have scoured the net and this forum and as normal for a bloke, decided to ask for directions last!

so could someone let me know the easy way of sharing, read only and full control shares amongst my linux desktops on my lan.

all knoppix 3.7 and all hd installs.

thanks so much.

steve.

Member registered user
    You could export your filesystems via NFS:
    * create a map of directories you want to export (in /etc/exports; for the format of that file
    see man exports; it's simple and the man page has some examples)
    * make sure the portmapper (/sbin/portmap) is running (at least needed on the clients)
    * start the NFS daemon - /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start; this will start the daemons
    rpc.nfsd and rpc.mountd
    * on the client side you can now mount the exported directories: mount host:/exported/dir /mount/point
    * if all works well you might want to add the mounts to your /etc/fstab file.

Happy experimenting
    Thomas

thanks thomas.

i tried this, i followed all the nfs advice and guidelines i could find on the internet and was (finally!) able to get an exported folder on the client.

however the main snag i hit was that the folder was read only, even though i used all the rw options and tricks i could find.

i think it was down to the exports file entries and having to remove old ones using exportfs -u however i looked down another route in the end.

in the end i hit on a way to do this, i simply accessed my samba shares (these shares are from a liunx box and designed to be accessed by windows clients) by doing smb://host_name from konqueror and then seeing the folders i needed access to, then entering a line in my /etc/fstab file like this...

//host_name/share_name /mount/point smbfs user,auto 0 0

and now i can add a device to the desktop and access the shares like i wanted to.

i know there are going to be nfs experts and purists out there going "oh my god, he did what?" and i have read how samba is only for windows etc, however i only need it for my lan, security isn't an issue, its a very simple network model and it works and nfs isn't without its issues either from what i can gather on the net.

also time is a premium to me.

the main reason i never used this solution before and tried getting my head around nfs in the first place is because if you only do the first part (smb://host_name from konqueror) then when you access a file in the share it downloads it first to a tmp folder before playing, in the case of a video that can take some time, however once i added the line in fstab and made the device then i could access the share like a normal windows share and the file is played from the share rather than a tmp folder.

i guess this is down to it being mounted.

anyway, thanks for the help, onwards and upwards.

steve.