Thread: Good compile of 2.6.10 Anyone ??

Member registered user

Good compile of 2.6.10 Anyone ??

My 3.7 runs 2.6.9; but that source is no longer available through apt-get (even after update).
    2.6.10 is available; ...but... it has not compiled cleanly after multiple attempts. I get many unresolved references in the modules to 'sti' and 'cli'.
    ?? Anyone have a clean complile? And how?

BillS

Why not try the 2.6.11 from kernel.org , much better than 2.6.10 IMHO. Don't know if debian patched the 2.6.10 for usb and cdburning, but I never got those to work on 2.6.10 final, just on a bk version. If you prefer apt-getting source, I'd stick with 2.6.9 for now.

Senior Member registered user
    >>
    I'd stick with 2.6.9 for now.
    >>

The 2.6.9 kernel has some serious memory management problems which didn't exist in 2.6.8 and have been fixed in 2.6.10

>>
    My 3.7 runs 2.6.9; but that source is no longer available through apt-get (even after update).
    >>

A non-problem really, just down loading some patches directly ....

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/

Apply incrementally to whatever src you have. Or down load a whole file set, if you don't mind the size. And just do a straight "make". Add some custom cli switches to the Makefile if you want and just do ...

make V=1 2>&1 |tee zmake-out

It should compile without any problems ...

>>
    2.6.10 is available; ...but... it has not compiled cleanly after multiple attempts. I get many unresolved references in the modules to 'sti' and 'cli'.
    ?? Anyone have a clean complile? And how?
    >>

Lots of clean compiles ...

Could you post the __actual__ error output messages please.

Did you do an initial 'configure' ie, something like 'make gconf',

Did you back-up ".conf" and then do a 'make mrproper' before attempting a recompile.

As all of the required references are within the src tree itself, there shouldn't be any third-part type dependency issues.

You might find some of the maintainer patches worth a look at too. The C Kolivas branch is very good and stable in terms of schedulng issues ...

http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/

"ck" is obviously my prefered , but there are lots to choose from.

jm

Quote Originally Posted by jjmac
    The 2.6.9 kernel has some serious memory management problems which didn't exist in 2.6.8 and have been fixed in 2.6.10
    Never had any memory probs with 2.6.9. Did you get usb-storage and cdrecording to work with 2.6.10 final? OTOH you may be right about not sticking with 2.6.9. Perhaps go with 2.6.11.

Senior Member registered user
    I should requalify my comment a little, 2.6.9 was bad, but now it's better. A lot would depend on wheather it was vanilla sources, or patched. And which patches. As distros tend to patch along the lines of their own maintainers ... so there would be various experiances there. By vanilla i do mean the mainline devel 2.6.x series.

The 2.6.9 did attract a lot of comment on the mailing lists though, (kerneltraffic, lkml) over a quirk with the kernels "oom_killer" facility being to aggressive.

If a person had a lot of ram (1Gb plus), and they were running primarily as a home user, then i think they probably would have been spared that .

On my limited ram box though ... all would be ok, untill i attempted a libc6_2.3.2 compile. It would get all the way to the end, where the linker would kick in ... bang! SIG TERM sent to process blah.

It didn't happen in 2.6.8.1 or in 2.6.10. I was quite worried for a couple of months on that. I just couldn't figure it out.

But it seems it was basically, changes introduced in 2.6.9 that proved to be problematic. Having the min_free_page count set to low was one culpret, along with changes to the code associated with the kswapd facility.

Unbeknown to me, i just found out today , there was a "ck" patch issued at the time which was said to fix it.

I probably don't really stress my box out as much as a lot of people would, but i do, do large compiles fairly regularly, which does tend to give my vm facilities a good workout. The 2.6.10-ck5 to -ck7 has proved to be really smooth in that respect.

>>
    Did you get usb-storage and cdrecording to work with 2.6.10 final?
    >>

Can't comment much there, sorry ...

But, 2.6.11 is getting a lot of positive feedback at the moment. At least concerning the Kolivas mail list. A lot will depend on the patch line you go with. My policy is to wait and see, if every thing else my end is going well. But if you did a search through some of the mail lists on those issues above, you would be sure to come across some usefull comment.

I can vaguely remember some posts on sound and recording on the ck list. Lots of people had no problems, but some did. One trick mentioned was to 'renice' X to a higher number, especially if your distro had it set at '-10' or similar, (renice to 0 and above). But i think that was more to do with rt sound issues, in games and the like. Were you would be refering to burning.

But, fwiw

The ck mail archive can be found at:

http://bhhdoa.org.au/pipermail/ck/

And the patch site is at:

http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/

Kernel development is going so fast with the 2.6.x, it becomes full time just trying to keep up

good luck

jm

wen: some edits.