Thread: MySQL front-ends on Knoppix?

Member registered user

MySQL front-ends on Knoppix?

Hi,

I believe that Knoppix comes with the MySQL database. However, does it come with MySQL's graphic front ends such as the "MySQL Query Browser" or the "MySQL Administrator"?

Also - is there a documentation/tutorial included with the MySQL version distributed with Knoppix?

If no - do you know whether any other live-CD comes with all these apps (& doc?) ?

Many thanks in advance!

Senior Member registered user
    Here is the full list of knoppix 3.7 packages http://csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/p...x/packages.txt. If you are using a different version of knoppix & want to find out what is included, then run as root: dpkg-query -l

According to the package list neither "MySQL Query Browser" nor the "MySQL Administrator" is included. The package listsing does not show the package mysql-doc so I gather that knoppix does not include the full documentation on the disc. Visit mysql.com for the full documentation. I do not know if any other LiveCD includes those apps or the documentation.
    I hope this helps.
    James

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    Here is the full list of knoppix 3.7 packages http://csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/p...x/packages.txt. If you are using a different version of knoppix & want to find out what is included, then run as root: dpkg-query -l

According to the package list neither "MySQL Query Browser" nor the "MySQL Administrator" is included. The package listsing does not show the package mysql-doc so I gather that knoppix does not include the full documentation on the disc. Visit mysql.com for the full documentation. I do not know if any other LiveCD includes those apps or the documentation.
    I hope this helps.
    James
    Hi James,

Thanks for the info and pointer. What a bummer... I really think that including these GUI packages besides the MySQL database would have been most useful: I mean, how many people would use a live-CD to run a database from the CLI only?!

And then I also notice that Knoppix lacks a firewall (such as the iptables front-end "firestarter"). How can one access the net without using one?

These are all basic apps which are lacking from Knoppix and this is too bad. I would drop the games and a couple of things here and there and include these.

Anyway - thanks a lot for the info!

Cheers!

Member registered user

mysql

you can get mysql-admin, mysql navigator and mysql-query-browser through debian using

apt-get install mysql-admin

etc.. If you are looking for a package do
    apt-cache search <package name>

and it will give you a list of what is available. you have to be precise though with version numbers so sometimes it is better to give a general name e.g.
    apt-cache search mysql and it will give you a list of all packages related to mysql or whatever else you need

you can get mysql-admin, mysql navigator and mysql-query-browser through debian using

This method will fail on Knoppix 3.7 (the version that was current and discussed at that time) because 3.7 does not have UnionFS which enables package addition/removal on a LiveCD. The apt-get method to install mysql admin utilities will only work on Knoppix 3.8.x and up.

Re: mysql

--The package "phpmyadmin" is prolly worth looking into, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by babelbrennt

etc.. If you are looking for a package do
    apt-cache search <package name>

and it will give you a list of what is available. you have to be precise though with version numbers so sometimes it is better to give a general name e.g.
    apt-cache search mysql and it will give you a list of all packages related to mysql or whatever else you need

Member registered user

mysql and other stories

Sorry I meant with a remaster. I don't understand the unionfs thing and probably won't until I am forced to deal with it like the chrooting thing. I have just installed mysql apache and some other stuff for a web application knoppix on my hard drive install ready for a remaster or rather I had until my remaster decided to rubbish my hard drive (blameshifting!!). I know you told me not to defrag my drive but how do I stop it from defraging itself. Moreover, I found on the internet that there are various tools I can use to get my drive back to normal (mkfs,tune2fs,Fdisk, which I use willy nilly until my drive looks clear), but when i put knoppix on again I have bad sectors/bad magic numbers. Is there any way of preventing this. I am downloading the disk again in case I have worn the other one out (This afternoon I got error 404 and alot of other stuff that meant I couldn't download and install anything). So far I managed to get up to the point where I was using the clean up script from the old HD remaster instructions a couple of times and as soon as I make a mistake (the last one was deleting the var directories and the rest of the X11 files which it turned out I need to keep)or I have rebooted the 22 or whatever many times you are allowed to reboot before FSCK decides to pay a visit then the whole thing goes belly up and I have to start again from scratch. Even chrooting into hda is impossible. I know I am rambling but I can see the finish line, but it feels like I am not going to cross it

Member registered user

MySQL front-ends on Knoppix?

Underscore is right yet again. I don't know what has happened between wednesday and this weekend, but I think 3.7 is not being supported for upgrades anymore. Last week I was able to find and install mysql frontends, apache2, tomcat5 etc and this week NADA!! I can't even update the basic 3.7 utilities. I can't even find Knoppix 3.7 on the net. So if you want those frontends it seems you will have to use 3.8 and above

Member registered user

mysql

Can't get them with 3.9 either.It seems that for some reason only stuff that's on the disc or similar to it can be downloaded this way. does anyone know why that is?

Member registered user

mysql

My mistake. apparently my repository is full (/www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20904&highlight=), so yes you can get the the mysql stuff