Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2GB HDD HELP

Junior Member registered user

2GB HDD HELP

Hi, I'm from one of the four corners of the earth and have a 2Gb HDD + 64Mb ram to install Knoppix on.

Please guide me what i can do to for my partitions. I had them 1750MB Native + 250MB Swap for my RH 7.2 install, but looks like we need a change for knoppix.

Please advise me anything other than getting a new hdd.

Senior Member registered user
    According to the Documentation/HOWTO http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo, you will have much difficulty and it might be impossible to install Knoppix to your 2GB HD. I suggest that you skip Knoppix and go directly to Debian. You can run either Debian Stable (Woody, old but very stable versions of programs) or Debian Testing (Sarge, slim chance but possibly unstable programs. Debian developers are finalizing Testing to be the next stable release in the near future).
    Debian stable - http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=4
    Debian testing - http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimag.../i386/current/sarge-i386-netinst.iso 109MB

I installed Debian tesing via sarge-i386-netinst.iso within the last 2 months. The minimal install is about 200-300MB and includes only the basic shell, etc, filesystem programs, apt and dpkg programs so that you can get updates and install more packages. Debian is great because you have the choice of running a GUI that will run fast on your system.

I hope this helps.
    James

Knoppix!! Knoppix!!! .......thats what i want.

I suppose i could ignore stuff and do the install, but please tell me how much a knoppix hdd install "acutally" takes............ so i can partition it that way.

According to my experience, Knoppix 3.7 installed on a hard drive is over 2GB (about 2.2GB) for the root partition. Since you have 64MB of RAM you will also need a swap partition. This is why I said you might be able to do it with a 2GB HD, but it is most likely impossible. This is why I suggested you get Debian because Knoppix installed on a hard drive really Debian unstable.

Perhaps someone else can confirm the requirements.

I hope this helps.
    James

Thanx for the info. I suppose the only way left out is to get a new hdd.

I suppose the only way left out is to get a new hdd.
    Not necessarily: I'm told that it's possible to do a HD install of Damn Small Linux which is essentially, Knoppix. This should radically reduce the amount of diskspace you need.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Or just install Debian, unless you really want all of the "this and that doesn't work after a hard disk install" or "such and such broke after an upgrade" issues.

Hey, i already got DSL, that was the first live version i got since i'm on a dial-up and cant download stuff quickly.......... But to make it nice and working u need to download the MyDsl apps, and i download is what i cant do
    So i bought a Knoppix CD.......

Is there no way to chose the apps that you want to install, and those that you dont want to? I can do without the games, and some other appz.

Anyways, can i get knoppix working on a 2GB hdd without SWAP? or put the swap file o a windows HDD? I can do that. please help me guys.....

Hello, cyberoidx!

I'm from one of the four corners of the earth....
    India will soon have more English speakers than any other country - that's a big corner!

Is there no way to chose the apps that you want to install, and those that you dont want to?
    No, unfortunately. Knoppix doesn't give a minimum HD size because it's still designed to run from CD. But really, 3 GB is required to be comfortable. With 2.5 GB you might have enough room to work, but you couldn't save much on your drive.

2GB hdd without SWAP?
    No, not with 64 MB RAM. The less RAM, the more you really, really need swap space. The rule of thumb is: swap = 2 x RAM, but someone who has 2GB RAM will probably never need swap anyway.

or put the swap file o a windows HDD?
    Now we have some possibilities! How big is that HD? How much free space does it have now? How much of it could you steal for Knoppix (swap + other stuff)?

Knoppix still may not be the best choice for you, for a couple of reasons. One is that it's still designed to run from CD, so it can be a little difficult to maintain once you have it on HD. Another is that it will still take some hammering on the software to put some of Knoppix on one HD and some on another.

So there are some other Linuxes to think about, depending on how easily and cheaply you can get CDs without downloading them. Do you know a person or computer user group that has broadband access? Free and friendly is the best way!

Knoppix!! Knoppix!!! .......thats what i want.
    Heh. Yeah, but ... look at these:
    • - Debian sarge from CDs - 1.7 GB installed - just the first 3 CDs;
      - Debian woody - 640 MB installed - just the first 2 CDs;
      - Progeny Debian - 1.3 GB installed - just the first CD;
      - Debian sarge over the net - 1.7 GB installed - 108 MB CD + 530 MB live over the net;
      - Debian sarge base (no GUI) over the net - 350 MB installed - 108 MB CD + 72.6 MB live over the net.
    These installed numbers (except the last one) are for a desktop environment like Knoppix - you can make them larger or smaller at installation time if you go through all the packages then, and choose what you want. Or you can make them larger or smaller after the installation completes too, of course.

The neat thing about sarge over the net is that after the CD is finished, you have a working system - it can't do much, but it works - and then everything else you want is downloaded one package at a time.

So if your connection is unreliable, you don't waste two hours of work when the connection drops and you have to start all over again. For a dial-up, you download some, install them, download more later, install them, and so on.

Give it some thought, okay? Do you want a Knoppix that doesn't work very well, or do you want a Linux that does?

-- Ed

Thanks a lot, Ive understood some stuff. But need to know more
    I've got the following partitions.

Windows Drives
    hda1: 4.5GB :1.5 free C
    hda5: 4.5GB :1.5 free E
    hdb1: 1.97MB : Just for the sake of it, or i would lose all my shortcuts and fil addreses. D

Linux Drives:
    hdb2 : 1900000 KB ~ 1.9GB Linux Native
    hdb3 : 150000 KB ~ 128MB Linux Swap

When i use knoppix from CD, i put the swap file on hda1, cant i do that after installation?
    I can partition and even destroy HDB, but not HDA, can only use HDA for storing files, cause my fathers files lie on it.

Also i ran IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer

It runs till the part where it asks me what kind of installation i want. I chose Beginner. After that i get a window with a huge textbox with stuff about Xdialogbox written inside it. and i suppose info on how to run some program by passing variables / options / cheat codes. Three buttons below the text box : Prev. Next and Print. I hit Next, the dialog box closes and i have the same text in my Bash shell terminal. Then nothing happens. It becomes a normal Knoppix with a bash shell.

I'm totally confused, and i thought installing Knoppix would be as easy as RH 7.2...........

PS: i cant run the installer from the terminal emulator thats there on the shortcut bar. I have to use a shell, bash in this case. why is this so? I cant enter any terminal as root, it asks me for a passwd, which i just hit RETURN for, and it tells me invalid password.

Help me guys, you people seem better than the customer support of some really good companies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast