Thread: "Remaster From Hd Install HowTo" - Don't waste you

"Remaster From Hd Install HowTo" - Don't waste you

It's my fault. I should have seen it....

...but i didn't. Now 4 hours of my life got flushed down the crapper because I assumed another person besides myself or my crew actually has a clue. My mistake. I admit it.

See if you can guess the flaw! It's like sending instructions to set up a dvd player on a dvd :P

Ok, don't guess. I wasted 4 hours, there's no reason you should waste your time

The HD install is, and always will be a READ ONLY SYSTEM! Hard disk install or not! All this crap about doing apt-get/dselect, etc.... IT WILL NOT WORK! It behaves like a LIVE CD! Do apt-get with a booted Knoppix CD and see what happens!

Well same with THIS "howto".

Howtos are NOT for "theoretical speculation"

*Rolls eyes*

Well I'll send a big "thanks for nothing" to the author. and warn you, the reader not to waste your time. You don't get it back, you know! :P

Senior Member registered user
    this depends much on WHAT TYPE of hdd install you did.
    a poormans install won't work.
    as i have myself done apt-get in a hdd installed knoppix system i find your problem odd.
    did you try remounting read/write the partition you had a install to? how did you install?

Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    this depends much on WHAT TYPE of hdd install you did.
    a poormans install won't work.
    as i have myself done apt-get in a hdd installed knoppix system i find your problem odd.
    did you try remounting read/write the partition you had a install to? how did you install?
    As the TITLE indicated... I did the install based on "Remaster From Hd Install HowTo"

here, see for yourself!

Be sure to waste four hours like i did :P
    [/url]

No, you must have clicked the wrong install type.

When installed properly, it is not read only!

But it looks like the howto might be wrong:

Partition the HD as above and install Knoppix as a 'Knoppix style' HD install.
    Shouldn't that be debian style?

Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    No, you must have clicked the wrong install type.

When installed properly, it is not read only!

But it looks like the howto might be wrong:

Partition the HD as above and install Knoppix as a 'Knoppix style' HD install.
    Shouldn't that be debian style?
    OH LOOK!! Somebody with a clue!

How long do you figure it will be before the author figures out he screwed up? It refers to 3.4 as the latest (no "and higher") so this howto has been here for a while...

...which makes me resent the wasted time even more :P

Re: "Remaster From Hd Install HowTo" - Don't waste

Quote Originally Posted by roguesupport
    It's my fault. I should have seen it....
    You know, for someone making that statement, you sure are doing a whole lot of whining, bellyaching, flaming and bitching. Knoppix is experimental software - it says so quite clearly, and there are no warranties in the software, and certainly not in the volunteer-written documentation. If you're looking for a cookbook, you're in the wrong damn place. If you're such a hotshot, go fix the Wiki yourself instead of bitching about it. Sheesh!

jd

Supports Knoppix 3.7 and higher and MORPHIX 5 and higher!
    But will it support Kanotix?

From reading (briefly) through the stuff on the Wiki, seems to me that there are two installs required (or, at least, suggested): a full Debian style HD install (in which case apt-get will work just fine and the fs certainly isn't write only) and a "secondary" toHD (aka "Poor Man's") install, in which there's no way apt-get will work. The stuff which ends up being re-mastered is the Debian install, the toHD is for testing and for speed.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    Supports Knoppix 3.7 and higher and MORPHIX 5 and higher!
    But will it support Kanotix?

From reading (briefly) through the stuff on the Wiki, seems to me that there are two installs required (or, at least, suggested): a full Debian style HD install (in which case apt-get will work just fine and the fs certainly isn't write only) and a "secondary" toHD (aka "Poor Man's") install, in which there's no way apt-get will work. The stuff which ends up being re-mastered is the Debian install, the toHD is for testing and for speed.
    Knoppix and Morphix will be the first ones to start with, along with an "in house" version. Other Live CDs will be supported based on demand. Well that's not true...

Our coding crew are always engaged in pissing contests. Supported distros will likely be added if they are even MENTIONED

I shall now skip off, and find out what the heck a "Kanotix" is

Member registered user
    roquesupport,
    I agree with you. On december last year I tried twice those instructions for remastering the hd install and failed, even though I´ve made it very carefully and detailed, following the instructions given. Anyway that was not too bad since I decided to face it and started to research on the matter. On the beginning of january this year I was sucessful and had my first complete hd install. I published the whole procedure on the kurumin linux forum (a brazilian distro based on knoppix) and was suggested to make it in script form. Although I´ve never programmed in shell script before I decided to make it and had had several contributions from other forum participants. Now we have a script that works very fine on this matter. I´ve made it for the 3.7 knoppix version but half an hour ago I´ve use it to make my first 3.8.1 remaster and it was perfect. The script and the instructiosn to use it are available (in english) at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18222. As I´ve realized that you are currently working on the same direction, maybe it could be of any help to you. Please feel free to modify it or adapt it at your own discretion. I know the code is still very simplistic since I´m not a skillful shell scrip programmer. Any additions or suggestions in order to improve it are very welcomed.
    Cheers.