Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 3.8.1 is out!

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    What client and version are you using?
    Debian's latest unstable, 3.4.2-3

Wow, 100kps would have made me happy. I was getting about 145kps in direct FTP, but only 40kps peak with BT, and most of the first hour WAY below that.

I stuck with it at home (like I said), and kept my machine on overnight to let others have my upload.

Maybe the Debian version is way behind? Or maybe BT doesn't have a great Linux version? Dunno... but I've got the disk now

Re: Sound problem with IBM T41 laptop

Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    Anybody else not having sound using knoppix 3.8.1 on a IBM T41 laptop (using default boot) ? Any fix ?
    Have a IBM T40 and the same problem. But not only the sound doesn't work, also the wlan-card wasn't detected. I'm a bit disappointed because all worked fine with version 3.7.
    I tried several chatcodes without any success...

does any one know what version of debian is used for this build?

Moderator Moderator

Re: Sound problem with IBM T41 laptop and Knoppix 3.8.1

Quote Originally Posted by mgraf
    Anybody else not having sound using knoppix 3.8.1 on a IBM T41 laptop (using default boot) ? Any fix ?
    Have a IBM T40 and the same problem. But not only the sound doesn't work, also the wlan-card wasn't detected. I'm a bit disappointed because all worked fine with version 3.7.
    I tried several chatcodes without any success...
    After running alsaconf, the sound works on my T41 and Knoppix 3.8.1. Why is the autodetection is failing ? (was working on 3.7)
    An other solution would be to remaster the cd with a knoppix.sh running alsaconf at boot time, but it looks like ugly to me...
    Any better idea ? Can I use a cheatcode ? What is the best way of submitting this bug to Klaus Knopper ? Knoppix Mailing list ?
    Cheers, Gilles

Senior Member registered user

Re: Sound problem with IBM T41 laptop and Knoppix 3.8.1

Quote Originally Posted by mgraf
    I tried several chatcodes without any success... :(
    After running alsaconf, the sound works on my T41 and Knoppix 3.8.1. Why is the autodetection is failing ? (was working on 3.7)
    An other solution would be to remaster the cd with a knoppix.sh running alsaconf at boot time, but it looks like ugly to me...
    Any better idea ? Can I use a cheatcode ? What is the best way of submitting this bug to Klaus Knopper ? Knoppix Mailing list ?
    Cheers, Gilles
    im having the same problem on my A30. also i never had the internal wifi work but thats not as annoying as having to run alsaconf every boot

Can't seem to resize windows

When I bring up 3.8.1 live on my laptop (Fujitsu P2120,) the windows are missing the title bars. Can't seem to re-enable this.
    Is this a new bug or feature for 3.8?
    How can I re-enable them?

(Maybe I just don't get it - I looked for FAQs)

Member registered user
    I was pleased to read the storm of good comments about 3.8.... I downloaded the English version ISO ... made a bootable cd and bingo ... it loaded and ran the firsttime on my Pentium 4 machine. I have been using 3.4 for sometime.... 3.7 would not load on this machine and since 3.4 worked I never chased the problem. I was very amazed that going through my ndiswrapper ritual produced a working FIREFOX connection... I have a WINXP machine that has a wireless access point using ICS to share a wireless broad band router.
    This kludge worked for me the first time using a boot from my new 3.8 LiveCD. I switched to my "play" machine and proceeded to do a hd install ..... what frustration. Things that go bang in the dark ... ie don't work !!!! Tried a hd install to hdb6 ....

1. knx-hdinstaller not found. Name changed to knx2hd..... why ???

2. created boot disk wouldn't boot.

3. tried to mount my Lexar usb drive where I keep my install goodies. Wouldn't
    mount .... DMESG showed SDA1 now called UBA1..... why ???

4. of course .... no sound.

5. who or what is ra0. ???? netcardconfig menus still sporting GERMAN.

I have learned to accept the subtle differences among distros but IMHO these namel
    changes are irrational and must drive system administrators nuts. I'm sure most of these "features'" are small ripples to the veterans but they sure are frustrating to
    people like me.

Just my opinion...

Senior Member registered user
    We should probably create new posts for support in that appropriate forum as opposed to tacking on support requests here in the News forum.

1. knx-hdinstaller not found. Name changed to knx2hd..... why ???
    From the Hd Install HowTo at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo:
    You should get Knoppix version 3.4 or later and type sudo knoppix-installer in the shell if you want to do this. Please ALWAYS make sure that you have a working backup of your important data prior to experimenting with ANY new software, no matter if Windows, Linux or anything else. Have a look here for more info about sudo.

In knoppix-installer, arrow keys move focus and space bar selects options.

Note: Do not use "knx-hdinstall" anymore. "knx-hdinstall" is no longer maintained, use "knoppix-installer" instead.
    2. created boot disk wouldn't boot.
    Making boot floppies from Knoppix is now deprecated and will not work with Knoppix 3.7 & 3.8.x. If you really want to boot Knoppix from a floppy then you should use http://btmgr.webframe.org/ Smart Boot Manager. You can search the forums to get more help with SBM.

3. tried to mount my Lexar usb drive where I keep my install goodies. Wouldn't mount .... DMESG showed SDA1 now called UBA1..... why ???
    This is due to a linux kernel change. The very brain of the OS, the Linux kernel version 2.6.x, the internal architechture has changed and this has resulted in USB devices mapped to /dev/uba. Yes this is frustrating but going forward, this may be a permanent change. It is more logical to have USB devices at a /dev/uba1 as opposed to /dev/sda1 because /dev/sd? was created years ago for SCSI devices.

4. of course .... no sound.
    Knoppix 3.8.x has dropped (as in it is NOT included on the CD) the 2.4.x kernel version. This has resulted in a major change in how Knoppix works with hardware.

5. who or what is ra0. ???? netcardconfig menus still sporting GERMAN.
    If you have installed Knoppix to the HD and still get german language then first check the /etc/lilo.conf file. I have noticed that it may set the language there upon boot up. In the lilo.conf file, it should have a append="blah blah blah" section. In that section you may find lang=de. Either delete it or change it to lang=us. Save the lilo.conf file then run /sbin/lilo to apply the changes.

I have learned to accept the subtle differences among distros but IMHO these name changes are irrational and must drive system administrators nuts. I'm sure most of these "features'" are small ripples to the veterans but they sure are frustrating to people like me.
    Many of the distros are going through similar if not identical growing pains as they all move to support newer 2.6 kernels. If it is any consolation, even as a sysadmin, I have to learn & adjust to new things daily and Knoppix is one of those things.

I hope this helps.
    James

Member registered user
    Thanks for your answers to my laments regarding knx 3.8 As a casual hobbiest user I get caught by these changes and with my shallow knowledge it is hard to find resolutions
    in the vast world of Linux documen?a?ion. FWIW... I googled endlessly on the boot disk problem and found nothing. When something is "deprecated" it would seem to me that the function should be removed from the installer software.....not left to error out and leave
    users wondering... Hard to tell deprecating from bugs. Same goes for the sound thing...
    Just my opinion.

Ted in Atlanta

Member registered user
    I, for one, am EXTREMELY happy about the rt2400/2500 driver support! Being an Averatec user I've had a bit of troble trying to get my wi-fi connection up and running so this is great news. Torrents coming down at almost half a meg so thanks out their to all the seeders!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast