Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Remaster from HD install:a metohd that works!

Member registered user
    Hello to ALL,
    There's new version of the script, which was renamed to knxhdremaster_en-1.2.sh. It's available for download at http://ww.ngsys.eti.br/remasters/knx...ster_en-1.2.sh.
    This script allows you to install the remastered copy to hd via an icon on the Desktop called hd install.
    You would prefer clicking on this icon to install the system to hd instead of the traditional method of opening a terminal and calling the knoppix-installer, since the script associated with the icon will fisrtly delete the S00knoppix-autoconfig link from /etc/rcS.d (which was causing double checking and, consequently, taking longer to complete), the 45xsession script from /etc/X11/Xsession.d, which is useless after hd installation and the hd install icon itself. After this the script calls the knoppix-installer script.
    All the previous recomendations (which I reproduce here) still stand:
    1 - download the script and put it wherever you want (I put it on the /usr/local/sbin folder).
    2 - Set its permissions and ownership to: chmod +x /where_you_put_it/knxhdremaster_en-1.2.sh and chown root.root /where_you_put_it/knxhdremaster_en-1.2.sh.
    3 - You can run it via, say, konsole, as a regular user (not root, nor su, neither sudo). The script problably will ask you the root password. Enter it for proceeding. Alternately, you would set it on the menu, via kmenuedit, and call it with: konsole -e /where_you_put_it/knxhdremaster_en-1.2.sh.
    4 - Answer the few questions the script asks you and go for it! After some minutes you'll have a perfect copy of your custom box already burned to a cd..
    Remarks 1 - At the very first time you use it the script will ask you to insert the original knoppix cd.
    Remarks 2 - Although this script also remasters the kanotix 2005-02 distro, this remastering comes with a bug which prevents you from logging into the system, after having it installed on HD. The remaster process itself is smooth, the iso burned to a cd runs perfectly, but this bug appears after you install the remastered copy to hd and try to login. I'm still investigating this behavior and if someone would like trying to find out what is causing this I would appreciate a lot. So, use it with knoppix 3.7 and 3.8 and you won't have any trouble with it.
    Cheers.

Member registered user
    Sorry Guys, but there's another bug fix revision in the script and it can be downloaded at http://www.ngsys.eti.br/remasters/kn...ster_en-1.3.sh. The bugs problably won't affect you if kde is being used and you're using the openoffice that comes with knoppix. If you're trying to use gnome or the openoffice from debian repository, then maybe you'll have some troubles.
    Regarding gnome I'm working in it and as soon as I have it up and running I will update the script again and let you all know.
    Thanks and best regards.
    nelsongs

Thank you nelsongs for this wonderful script... it is the first one I've tried that actually "just works" with Knoppix 3.8.1. I'm still in the process of remastering my particular liveCD so I hope to provide more feedback about the script itself when I get a chance to look at it directly. After having spent a month looking into remastering various liveCDs (kunbuntu, kanotix, amarok, gentoo etc) I really do appreciate how much effort you have put into getting your script to work properly

The only issue I've noticed is that I end up with a /home/knoppix/knoppix after the remaster but it may be that I am doing something silly.

One thing that might be useful is some reliable, perhaps associated script or an option, to clean out as much stuff on the liveCD as possible without upsetting the actual bootup procedure. It's taken me a few attempts at removing various sets of packages before I realized what NOT to remove.

Member registered user
    markc,
    Thank you for your words.
    Sorry, but I couldn't help understanding exactly what you meant with "...end up with /home/knoppix/knoppix after the remaster...". Where? In your installed system or in the remastered CD?
    Several people has tested this script here in Brazil and nobody has reported anything like that.
    Again I couldn't understand your last paragraph. Maybe if you could be more specific it'll be a pleasure for me to help.
    I would appreciate if you contact me on ngsilveira@gmail.com, so we can exchange ideas and maybe discuss the issues a little bit more deeply, without boring the readers of this forum.
    Anyway, I will be producing a detailed tutorial on using this script and let you know.
    Thanks again and hope hearing from you soon.
    Best wishes,
    nelsongs.

Member registered user
    Hi Guys,
    Iīm making available another version of the script, which can be downloaded at http://www.ngsys.eti.br/remasters/kn...ster_en-1.4.sh.
    This new version corrects the bug on the kanotix iso generation. Now itīs ok, so the script remasters Knoppix 3.7, Knoppix 3.8 and Kanotix-2005-02.
    I recommend that you run this script logged as su. Thereīs now an extra dialog that shows the initial logged user name. If itīs not the root user, you just accept it. If it shows root, change it to the name of the normal user that logs to the system.
    Thatīs all.
    Any commnets are welcomed.
    Cheers.

hi nelsongs!

your script is generally the most easiest to handle so far.
    unfortunatly I am getting not the result I wished.

1.) first of all, the remastered LiveCD does not contain anymore the links I have on the hd install in rc2.d
    while files in /etc/init.d, /var/www and /var/sbin remained so far.
    2.) furthermore the /etc/passwd is the default one, i.e. does not contain the users I created.
    3.) also the /home folders created for my users are not there anymore
    4.) runlevel 5 (Xwindows, KDE) does not work at all anymore.
    I just receive tons of errors saying "There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE". Could not read network connection list. /home/knoppix/.DCOPserver_Knoppix__0. Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!"
    /home/knoppix/.kde/share/config/.kdeglobals not writeable
    /home/knoppix/.kde/share/config/.kwinrc not writeable

when first booting into level 2 and then afterwards changing to runlevel 5 it works only with "startx"
    using init 5 does give the errors like mentioned at 4.)

btw, in the master i never started into kde at all. i did all remastering on init 2, maybe that's some reason.

Do you have any clue, what I am doing wrong?
    I was using Knoppix 3.8.2 and knxhdremaster_en-1.4.sh

thanks for your help!

/christian

ps: greetings from rainy austria

Member registered user

Your Script is awsum

Hi,
    You are awsum man. Got my remastered version up and working in no time. Thanks, you have no idea how great a help you were. I just need to ask you a small question. I need to un-install KDE and then install a regional or localized version of KDE. How do I go abt doing that. I already have the localized KDE.
    Thanks in advance.

Senior Member registered user

Wow. I did it. I Think.

Nelsongs,

I reorganized my HD to clear out some space on it.

Using your latest script, v1.4 I started the remaster process. Boy, you have made this very easy.

It went perfectly. The bad news is that the iso image is 752megs. Too big for a CD.

So, I burned the image to a DVD.

The trouble with that is my DVD drive is a USB external drive that I can't boot to.

So, I don't know for sure yet what I've got.

I'm stuck for figuring out how to make it any smaller for a CD. I've already removed a LOT of programs. Anything that was redundant, plus emacs, plus some games, etc. etc.

I could remove Mozilla at some point after I install Firefox when ver. 1.5 comes out. That would save some space.

sakiZ

nelsongs

Thanks again for the script. I used the 1st version to create a Gnome live CD and it did work great.

Getting Closer

I tried remastering again today with the 1.4 script. I'm definately getting closer.

I can boot to level init 2. But not to the GUI -- level 5.

Unfortunately I get some weird error messages.

Here are some: chown: 'knoppix.knoppix' : invalid user

And
    I have no name!@knoppix: /etc/init.d/xsession start

And

X init: connection to X server lost

I did get into the GUI once by endless fiddling. I don't even know know what I did. None of my Crossover Office stuff would run because it said I was not the owner.

Any ideas anyone?
    sakiZ

[/quote]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123