Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remaster from HD install:a metohd that works!

Member registered user

Remaster from HD install:a metohd that works!

Hi Guys,
    Greetings from Brazil!
    I'd like to submit you a script I developed to automate the procedure of remastering the HD installed and customized knoppix sucessfully. I published the first version of this script in the Kurumin Forum ( a brazilian distro based on knoppix) for about one month ago and now I've made some litlle revisions in it and translatede it to english in order to make it availabel for the international community. You can download it at http://www.ngsys.eti.br/remasters/kn...ster_en-1.0.sh. It's necessary to set its permissions like this: chmod +x knphdremaster_en-1.0.sh and chown root.root knphdremaster_en-1.0.sh. You have to run it as a normal user, not root. The script will ask you the root password in order to execute correctly. It can be put on the menu. I usually leave this script on /usr/local/sbin and call it, from a menu item, like this: konsole -e /usr/local/sbin/knphdremaster_en-1.0.sh. The script does most of its work automatically. It just ask you to insert the knoppix CD at the first time you use it. From the second time on everything is there.
    Please, fell free to improve the script or adapt it at your own discretion. I am not a skilfull shell script programmer, actually has never has never programmed in shell script before, for this maybe you will realize my code is very simplistic, but it works well! Another observation, it was made to the 3.7 version of knoppix, using KDE. It was not tested against others versions or with other window managers.
    Suggestions and contributions are very wellcomed.
    Cheers,
    nelsongs

Senior Member registered user
    nelsongs

Thanks alot. I will try it and let you know the results. Do you think it works Knoppix 3.8?

Member registered user
    knopx4me,
    Nice talking to you,
    I really donīt know if it would work with knoppix 3.8, cause I still donīt have it. Iīll try to download it tonight and let you know if it fits ok. For the version 3.7 it works very fine, with all your customizations preserved.
    Please, let me know if everything was ok or not.
    Cheers!

Member registered user
    knopx4me,
    I just have made my first remater using the new knoppix 3.8.1 and it woked perfecly. So the script also fits the 3.8.1 version of knoppix. If you test it, please let us know the results and any suggestion to improve it.
    Cheers.

nelsongs

Thanks for the good news. I just finished the job in my hand and will give this script a try today and let you know. I tried it with Kanotix 2005 and gave me some problems. I hope by tomorrow I can give you full details.

nelsongs

It is a great job. Yes it works with Knoppix 3.8. I was able to remaster it with your scripts. The remastring went smooth and fast. However, I got the following:

1- Mozilla Firefox could not start the extensions. I got the following message:

knoppix@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix$ firefox -UILocale ar-JO -contentLocale JO
    INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: JavaPluginFactory5 init - no agent?

System error?:: No such file or directory

When I remastered it manually, it did work. I checked the /home/knoppix/.mozilla folder and found the extensions there but Fire fox could not start them. I also cheched Firefox extension list under tools > extensions and found the extensions.

2- I noticed that it shows that the partition in which I remastered it in as mounted. May be it copied every thing from /mnt. I will try some thing to avoid it and come back to you but I wanted to let you know that you are genius.

Thanks.

Passei só para dar um alô (y) e dizer que fiz um remaster ontem e ficou P E R F E I T O .

Um Abraįo pessoal

Bye

Pardon a Newbie Questions on this

I downloaded and ran the script.

I told it to use hda6, a windows partition. Is it normal to get a lot of messages saying permissions could not be changed? This proceedure didn't go smoothly. Konsole crashed while running the script. So I ran it again. It seemed to go better that time.

Anyway, it looks like the script created two directories:

master, where the boot files are

and source directory where the knoppix install files were copied to.

To create the CD do I now just need to compress the source directory into a file to merge it into the master directory and then create the iso? (I have the Knoppix Hacks books I've been studying on this.)

I guess, having never done this before, I am wondering if I have done things right so far and exactly to what degree this script automates the whole process and did the Konsole crashes screw things up.

sakiZ

Member registered user
    sakiZ,
    You canīt use windows partition to do the remastering process! If you read carefully all the screens that appears in the beginning of the script youīll notice that one of them states that. And thatīs because windows partitions donīt allow symbolic links, thatīs why you have had several error messages. Please, try it again with an ext2, ext3 or, preferably, reiserfs partition in order to do it correctly.
    Cheers!

Oops! :-)

Wearing a sheepish grin. Feeling like a real noob.

OK. Thanks. I'll retry this when I get home.

sakiZ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast