Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solution: Very simple HD installation with cloop on VFAT par

Senior Member registered user
    >>
    1. get into the boot.img and extract the vmlinuz and miniroot.gz file(there is a FAQ on this site under DOC) and put them on your c:\(or /dev/hda1)
    <<

OK, I got these files off the boot disk. I put them along with the huge KNOPPIX file off the burned CD as well as loadlin.exe and a batch file with the following line in it.

loadlin.exe vmlinuz lang=en init=/etc/init initrd=c:\miniroot.gz quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

I start up the batch file and the PC reboots into KNOPPIX just like off the CD loading into the ramdisk, autodetecting everything and it even runs faster! The only problem is that this locks up the hdd as busy just like the CD used to be (well this frees up the CD drive). Also, this works on WIN95 and WIN98 but its a pain on WINME as you have to boot the rescue disk to get into DOS real mode (I was trying to get away from a boot disk that slows down the boot process).

My question now is, can I do this on a WINXP machine? I'm getting some of those next year in a new lab at school.

Thanx,

Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    I am experimenting with NTFS partition.

I tried just copy the ntfs.o module to the initrd and load it but failed miserably. Will recompile a custom kernel with built-in NTFS support and try again.

Will let you know if I can make it work.
    Despite the other guy's concerns, I think you should give it a go anyway.

init is part of the KNOPPIX image. You need to put $INSMOD modules/ntfs.o in the linuxrc file found within minirt24.gz (so it has ntfs available before it starts looking for KNOPPIX). You should also copy ntfs.o (/lib/modules/2.4.27/kernel/fs/ntfs/ntfs.o) to the modules directory of the minirt.

It might just work. It's possible that the other guy tried it with an older version of knoppix (thus older versions of cloop and ntfs-linux. Especially ntfs-linux.) Hell, if he tried it with the 2.4.26 kernel, the change to 2.4.27 may have fixed the problem, too.

My current project is with Damn Small Linux, trying to implement support and modularity using squashfs (the "hey, you know what you could do with this?!" forum discussion is what led me here) I like squashfs a hell of a lot more than cloop, but cloop does have its points (One of my other projects is implementing an embedded/live version of DSL, and qemu has naitive support for cloop images - a boon for someone in my position)

have fun playing. Experimentation is the best thing that ever happened to computers.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordiman
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    I am experimenting with NTFS partition.

I tried just copy the ntfs.o module to the initrd and load it but failed miserably. Will recompile a custom kernel with built-in NTFS support and try again.

Will let you know if I can make it work.
    Despite the other guy's concerns, I think you should give it a go anyway.

init is part of the KNOPPIX image. You need to put $INSMOD modules/ntfs.o in the linuxrc file found within minirt24.gz (so it has ntfs available before it starts looking for KNOPPIX). You should also copy ntfs.o (/lib/modules/2.4.27/kernel/fs/ntfs/ntfs.o) to the modules directory of the minirt.

It might just work. It's possible that the other guy tried it with an older version of knoppix (thus older versions of cloop and ntfs-linux. Especially ntfs-linux.) Hell, if he tried it with the 2.4.26 kernel, the change to 2.4.27 may have fixed the problem, too.

My current project is with Damn Small Linux, trying to implement support and modularity using squashfs (the "hey, you know what you could do with this?!" forum discussion is what led me here) I like squashfs a hell of a lot more than cloop, but cloop does have its points (One of my other projects is implementing an embedded/live version of DSL, and qemu has naitive support for cloop images - a boon for someone in my position)

have fun playing. Experimentation is the best thing that ever happened to computers.
    I got it working from a ntfs/fat/floppy/usb dongle partition / media: have a look at this:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796
    Cheers, Gilles

Junior Member registered user
    Hello, I am really in need of help here -
    I have a copy of Knoppix with kernel 2.4.27 and I would like to do a PMI onto my NTFS partition.
    I have a copy of GRUB set up on my boot.ini already, it can read the minirt24 but drops me to a "minimal shell".
    Of course, this is because the minirt24 dosen't support NTFS. Is there anyway I can modify the minirt24/linuxrc files to add NTFS boot support?
    If so, exactly how do I do this?

Thank you so much!
    Brian

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by brianez21
    Hello, I am really in need of help here -
    I have a copy of Knoppix with kernel 2.4.27 and I would like to do a PMI onto my NTFS partition.
    I have a copy of GRUB set up on my boot.ini already, it can read the minirt24 but drops me to a "minimal shell".
    Of course, this is because the minirt24 dosen't support NTFS. Is there anyway I can modify the minirt24/linuxrc files to add NTFS boot support? If so, exactly how do I do this? Thank you so much! Brian
    Get if already done from here: GRUBD.ZIP ==> http://s119307663.onlinehome.us/grubd.zip <==
    Please have also a look at these:
    Windows Partition PMI: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
    (Long) discussion: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796 (look at the end of it)
    Good Luck,
    Gilles

Thank you, but I was actually looking for a step-by-step idea of what was changed.
    I'll just go thru the files and look myself...

Moderator Moderator
    Thank you, but I was actually looking for a step-by-step idea of what was changed.
    I'll just go thru the files and look myself...
    Linuxrc has been changed to load the ntfs driver and add one level of loopback.
    Ntfs driver files, mount and other utilities have been added...
    Not that hard to make the changes but long to write an ehaustive list.
    Regards, Gilles

I am using a remastered Knoppix 3.4. The link you sent me to was for 3.7 (guess I should have been more clear).
    I think I need grub3.zip but the link there dosen't work. Does anyone have a copy they can email me or ftp to me?

Thanks - Brian

Moderator Moderator
    I am using a remastered Knoppix 3.4. The link you sent me to was for 3.7 (guess I should have been more clear). I think I need grub3.zip but the link there dosen't work. Does anyone have a copy they can email me or ftp to me?
    Thanks - Brian
    Here it is, but the grub3.zip only includes the knoppix 3.4 kernel 2.6 boot: ==> http://s119307663.onlinehome.us/grubd.zip <=
    If I have time I can probably make the 2.4 kernel boot as well. Let me know...
    Regards, Gilles

I am going to try this out, but I am trying to find out...:
    How do I get NTFS to boot with Knoppix 3.4 and a 2.4.27 kernel?
    Does grubd.zip even work with Knoppix 3.4?
    ---
    I am also working on an automatic installer that edits your boot.ini or autoexec.bat and determines what version of the initrd (vfat or ntfs) you need for Windows. So far, the vfat and grub parts are mostly done. (I am stuck on the ntfs problem.)
    It will be as easy to use as clicking on a .exe. I'll be sure to post a link when I'm finished!

~ Brian

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast