Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP TC1100 tabletpc

HP TC1100 tabletpc

I have an HP tc1100 tabletpc with only a usb cd connection. I cannot boot Knoppix 3.81. If I do a regular boot, it complains about not being able to find the CD file system. If I do something like expert mode, the system comes up with a question about scsi stuff to load, but no keyboard response (no keyboard for the regular boot either, I have to take the battery out to get the thing to reset).

Now I know there are ways to do this using USB drives etc., but it USED to be the case that I could boot Knoppix on this machine (3.6). What is different now and is there anything i can do to get it to boot straight from the CD? thanks.

>>>bill<<<

I tried failsafe mode. Still can't find the cd file system but I got keyboard control, that's a good thing.
    >>>bill<<<

I have tried all the "no" options I can find (nodma, noscsi, noacip, etc.). I tried noscsi, nodma atapic. I tried the ide2=0x180,0x386 (for sony's apparently). The image is good, and it boots other machines fine. I'm sure it is a problem with the USB CD drive but what to do about that?
    >>>bill<<<

Junior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by punch
    I have tried all the "no" options I can find (nodma, noscsi, noacip, etc.). I tried noscsi, nodma atapic. I tried the ide2=0x180,0x386 (for sony's apparently). The image is good, and it boots other machines fine. I'm sure it is a problem with the USB CD drive but what to do about that?
    >>>bill<<<
    Hi,

you may want to try to use the method described in the thread:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...0320f17ad508ab

in order to boot knoppix directly from the HD.

I will soon post a recipe for getting some tablet functionality to work
    with knoppix (for wacom based tablets, which TC1100 is, isn't it?).
    I have an Acer C300 tablet.

For now, please post your reply and further queries on this there.

good luck.
    Tom

TC1100 boot error

When I use the Knoppix 2.8.3 CD to boot from a external USB cdrom, I get the following error:

Scanning for USB/Firewire devices... Done.
    Cant find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
    Press reset button to quit.

I get the same thing with Knoppix 2.9 as well. Funny thing, the keyboard doesn't work until power management blanks the screen, then it starts working.

on that note, I already have my tablet set up as a dual-booting system with Win XP and Linux (CentOS) using the grub bootloader in the MBR. Perhaps I can use the grub config to boot from the USB cdrom, although the Knoppix CD doesn't seem to recognise it?

(Come on give me a break, guys, that other thread is 25 pages long!)

Has anyone managed to boot Knoppix (CD or DVD) successfully on an HP TC1100 or other tablet?

I've just downloaded the CD ISO and it boots ok. It complains that the auto-configuration of hardware (it might say devices) fails, but then it continues on till I get to an image (which looks like a steering wheel and road in the background, or something like that) that appears to be a desktop background. I have a cursor, the mouse works, the keyboard worked during boot, but I get nothing else. I've left it for a few hours, but nothing appears on the desktop. No icons, no command prompt, I can't get it to do anything.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks - Callum.

It looks like my problems may be with the burning of the CD, so off to post on that thread and then I'll post back here on my results on the TC1100. Cheers - Callum.

Member registered user
    On 3 actually.... Toshiba Portege 3500, Toshiba Portege M200 and the Toshiba Tecra M4.
    But with problems, not as severe as yours though. It varies from not detecting networkcards or
    graphics problems, but all of these are solveable.

On none of them I was able to get the pen to work (not a big suprise

Quote Originally Posted by chmac
    Has anyone managed to boot Knoppix (CD or DVD) successfully on an HP TC1100 or other tablet?

I've just downloaded the CD ISO and it boots ok. It complains that the auto-configuration of hardware (it might say devices) fails, but then it continues on till I get to an image (which looks like a steering wheel and road in the background, or something like that) that appears to be a desktop background. I have a cursor, the mouse works, the keyboard worked during boot, but I get nothing else. I've left it for a few hours, but nothing appears on the desktop. No icons, no command prompt, I can't get it to do anything.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks - Callum.

Once I burned the CD and DVD correctly, both booted without problems. Sure, the pen didn't work (I think, although I didn't actually check) but for me that's not a big deal as I need to have the USB CD attached to use Knoppix, and I type faster than I write, so non real use for the pen when I'm at my desk.

Almost immediately after I've installed CentOS though, so I only booted Knoppix once. I couldn't get wireless to connect, but I didn't try very much, it didn't seem to pick up the wifi card, so I left it.

Cheers - Callum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast