Thread: Yet another 'missing' CDROM thread...

Yet another 'missing' CDROM thread...

I just installed knoppix 3.8 (debian style), and while my CD ROM was detected and working perfectly in the live version, the hdd version fails to detect it.

Now I have read the many posts on this topic, but all of the solutions say to link to /dev/sr0 or similar (which isnt a valid device on my system).

When I look at dmesg, I get:

Code:
    hdc: SONY DVD RW DRU-710A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    and
    Code:
    ide-cd: passing drive hdc to ide-scsi emulation.
    Nothing else in dmesg seems relevent.

I tried symlinking to /dev/hdc, but even that wont work.

This is using only the 2.6 kernel (3.8 doesnt install anything else)

My relevent lilo.conf portion is:
    Code:
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11
    	label="Linux(2.6)-1"
    	initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.11
    	append="ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi nomce "
    	read-only

Any assistance on this would be appreciated.

Senior Member registered user
    Good for you for doing your homework! Every new version of something brings new surprises, eh?

Your dmesg shows that the drive is being detected - it's just not where you can find it. To see where Knoppix put the thing do this: $ cat /etc/fstab. Here's part of mine, from my shiny-fresh installation of 3.8.1:
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem  mountpoint  type  options  dump  pass

/dev/cdrom /cdrom  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    /dev/dvd /dvd  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    Now, where are you having problems? From the KDE desktop? When I hovered my mouse over the CD-ROM icon, I saw that the shortcut pointed to /mnt/cdrom.

Well, that won't work! To change it, I right-clicked on the icon, left-clicked on Properties, left-clicked on the URL tab, and changed it to just /cdrom.

Does that help?

-- Ed

I don't use LILO, so please take anything I say about it with a grain of salt.

Please try it again after nuking all the "hdx=scsi" entries from lilo.conf and rerunning (here's the "take with a grain of salt" part) /sbin/lilo. This kernel doesn't use SCSI emulation for CD drives any more and, in my experience, often won't mount them if the "hdx=scsi" parameter is there.

Knoppix includes an automounter daemon by default, so you can usually easily tell when you've got it set up correctly by firing up Konqueror with a CD in the drive and clicking the "+" by the /mnt directory in the left-hand pane. The automounter should detect that there's a CD in the drive and create a symlink to /mnt/cdrom.

Oh. Yeah. What he said. You absolutely must run lilo after making any changes to the file /etc/lilo.conf in order for those changes to get written to the boatloader.

Ummm, about those 8 hard drives (hda ... hdh).... LILO notation is hd and then a letter for each physical drive, and then a number for each partition on that drive.

One of my computers has only one hard drive, and it has these partitions: hda1, hda2, hda3, (hda4 is an extended partition), and hda5 ... hda11.

The other computer has two hard drives, so if I had LILO installed instead of GrUB the partitions would be: hda (Windows has the whole drive), hdb1, hdb2, hdb3.

... firing up Konqueror with a CD in the drive and clicking the "+" by the /mnt directory in the left-hand pane

Okay, I give. There have been times when clicking on the little disk icon on the desktop hasn't worked for me when it was set to /mnt/cdrom, with both Knoppix 3.7 and 3.8.1. And now it does.

So I'll withdraw my suggestion about changing the icon and let you focus on your /etc/lilo.conf.

-- Ed

If I remove all of the hd*=scsi flags from the kernel line, the kernel fails to boot (it wont even get past the "Loading Linux................" portion) I tried this after reading someone else post before I even posted...

However, something I just tried, if I remove just the hdc=scsi portion (and leave the rest), my cdrom works perfectly.

It seems to me that the kernel wants =scsi for my harddrive or it wont boot up...odd

So problem fixed.

It seems to me that the kernel wants =scsi for my harddrive or it wont boot up...odd
    That's very interesting. Will have to remember that.

<edit>
    If you feel like experimenting, you might try it without the ramdisk (i.e. delete the "initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.11" line, and the "ramdisk_size=100000" parameter), then see if it works without the "hdx=scsi" parameters.

The ramdisk may be why the "hdx=scsi" parameters are still necessary for you.

(Unless you do, in fact, have a SCSI hard disk...)

Re: Yet another 'missing' CDROM thread...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilsJester
    I just installed knoppix 3.8 (debian style), and while my CD ROM was detected and working perfectly in the live version, the hdd version fails to detect it.

Now I have read the many posts on this topic, but all of the solutions say to link to /dev/sr0 or similar (which isnt a valid device on my system).
    Actually it's /dev/scd0 you must link to. For a permanent fix with a Knoppix install I had to modify /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig. See this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13601

I would have thought *they* would have fixed this by now, this bug first appeared in 3.4 with the introduction of the 2.6 kernel. This is one of the reasons I have switched to Kanotix; it has fewer bugs like this and those that do appear get fixed.