Thread: Included Modem Driver Not Working

Senior Member registered user

Included Modem Driver Not Working

Okay. I bought an internal PCI modem from newegg.com that was listed as having Linux compatibility. It came with a cd that had drivers and stuff on it. The instructions on the cd were to run AUTORUN.EXE in Linux...But I didn't do that becaue my WINE was all wierd. Instead, I went /cdrom/DRIVERS/Linux and found the driver as a source. I then converted it to .deb and it somehow became compiled in the process. But now, it still says "the modem is busy" when I try to dial in.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Why don't you tell people what make and model modem you actually bought rather than where you bought it from? That's the real information they need to give you useful feedback.

Oh, sorry. The driver I downloaded said it was for all SmartLink chipsets, regardless of make or model. On box it says Hummingbird Fax/Modem 56k/V.92...And everything on the cd says SmartLink. For some reason, it's not listed on the site anymore. I'll run scanmodem or something and get the chipsets. I'm pretty sure I downloaded the right driver...I mean...I compiled the driver fom the cd that came with the modem as well...So I'm wondering why it's not working.

Kuhman, just out of curiosity, do you run a winmodem? Because I seem to remember a lot of posts with your name on it when I was trying to get a USR to work a while ago.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    Kuhman, just out of curiosity, do you run a winmodem? Because I seem to remember a lot of posts with your name on it when I was trying to get a USR to work a while ago.
    Not with Linux I don't. I run a DSL modem and router here. I have an old PCI modem that I could use if needed, but it's not a Winmodem, I made sure when I got it years ago that it was an honest to goodness "real" modem (Actiontech). There is a Winmodem on my notebook, but I've never even bothered to try to use Linux with that modem. So I'm not likely to be any help with your problem, just thought your best chance of getting help was if the people who do use dial-up modems knew what you were working with.

I pulled the source from the cd and followed the intructions on the readme file...it lands me with some sort of gcc error.
    Code:
    $ make
    gcc   kernel-ver.o   -o kernel-ver
    /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.3/../../../crt1.o: file not recognized: File truncated
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [kernel-ver] Error 1
    I went through and edited the makefile and everything like it said...