The best way to answer my many questions is by asking "Is it possible to boot the Knoppix 3.8.1 LiveCD and perform a Linux install such that a reboot is not required?" This can be refined by adding "After a 'knoppix-installer' session of installing to /dev/hda1, can I transfer control to the computer (/dev/hda1) so that everything will run from the Hard Disk and not the CD?" The CD is the speed bottleneck of a LiveCD system.

After installing Knoppix 3.8.1 via the 'knoppix-installer' script, I needed to modify /etc/lilo.conf to add "acpi=off" to the boot string.

Not knowing how to edit hda1:/etc/lilo.conf, I simply rebooted. As is noted elsewhere on this forum, my PS2 mouse was not installed since "acpi=off" had not been added to the lilo.conf boot string. The Knoppix CD creates a virtual filesystem. Where is the partition (hda1) to which it installed the new system?

How can I edit the file hda1:/etc/lilo.conf and not a virtual copy? I need to edit the actual file on hda1 so that when I reboot, 'acpi=off' is read from the new file at hda1:/etc/lilo.conf.

Thanks, Bob