Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LS --color and KDE startup items.

Junior Member registered user

LS --color and KDE startup items.

ok, to start out, I am running debian on one computer and knoppix hd install on the other.

1. When in root on the knoppix system, I type ls -l and all the directories and executables are in color. However on the freshly installed Debian install, ls -l is not in color, I can get it to go color, by ls --color -l, but I would prefer not to have to type the --color everytime I am in the shell, is this stored as an environment variable or in a config file? and where would it be located. I tried --color=always, but that didn't seem to work. How would I go about changing this?

2. The language icon appears in the system tray everytime I start KDE, being that I only know one language, how would I remove this? What config file tells KDE to start a program upon start of the GUI? For future note, I would like to be able to control who/what starts when KDE start.

Thanks in advance. I am a Linux Novice, but am willing to learn.

To answer question number one

Simply edit the .bashrc using vi for your user and enter the following:

alias ls='ls --color=auto'

or

alias ls='ls --color=SOMECOLORHERE'

HTH,
    John

Thank you jpretti.

Just a note, I am still looking for help with the KDE start up items, anyone that knows where it's stored.

Thanks

SD

Banned
    2. The language icon appears in the system tray everytime I start KDE, being that I only know one language, how would I remove this?
    try clicking on the language icon
    open it up and edit the settings so there isn't a choice of languages

What config file tells KDE to start a program upon start of the GUI? For future note, I would like to be able to control who/what starts when KDE start.
    there is something about
    /etc/rcS.d
    but I've not gone through it all.
    my smoothwall only has
    /etc/rc.d
    as it's a single user system
    knoppix live-cd has 4 tty sessions and the KDE screen.
    the hdd install has 6 tty screens, and
    /etc/rc0d thru /etc/rc6.d
    so I expect they are the startup settings for each mode, I've not poked extensively though

Banned
    I've noticed the loss of colour on my KDE screen's terminal windows.
    and not been able to fix it as yet.

but I also noticed recently, a ctrl-alt-5 screen will be in color mode but when in su it loses the color.
    so mine might be a prob with the su settings or it might be a feature of su ?

but I also noticed recently, a ctrl-alt-5 screen will be in color mode but when in su it loses the color.
    so mine might be a prob with the su settings or it might be a feature of su ?
    I think that you may have the same problem as me. I am pretty sure that my bashrc for my user has the alias set for ls --color, but not the root user. Everytime you su, your essentially logging in as root, so you might want to check the bashrc in the root folder.

I havn't had time to properly test any of this, since I am away from my home system, but I have checked it on both knoppix and kubuntu live cd's and both of them have alias ls="ls --color=auto" in their bashrc files.

etc/rc0d thru /etc/rc6.d
    so I expect they are the startup settings for each mode, I've not poked extensively though
    I am not sure if this is what I am looking for, these maybe the startup for each session, but I think I am looking for a startup configuration file for KDE, like i mentioned above, I am currently away from my system, but I am sure that the language option and gaim start up when I use KDE, but neither start when I use a Gnome session. So i am sure that both of them have their own start up configuration files. I have not had the chance to look at the /etc/rcX.d files yet, so they may contain a section for KDE or Gnome specific items.

Thanks

SD

Banned
    there is
    /etc/rc1.d - /etc/rc6.d AND /etc/rcS.d
    I'm guessing the S is for screen.....

Ah, cool, thanks, I will have a chance to test it out, the day after tommorrow.

SD

Have a look at /usr/share/doc/sysvinit/README.runlevels.gz for the different runlevels. S stands for single user mode and gets run always on bootup. For KDE autoloading programs have a look at ~/.kde/Autostart/
    The systemwide aliases in knoppix are in /etc/profile but you can also see them just by typing alias.

Ah, thanks markus, I had actually already found the /usr/share/doc/sysvinit folder. I managed to get a hold of a knoppix CD so that I could start looking into it. According to the readme that I found in one of the rcX.d folders, everything in the rc1.d-rc6.d and rcS.d are just links to files in /etc/init.d. So I ended up poking around in /etc/init.d which lead me to the sysvinit folder. I did come to the conclusion that the rcX.d folders didn't control KDE start up, but system start up and some of X window start up.

I will check into ~/.kde/Autostart , but that sound like what I am looking for the KDE startup programs.

Once again, thanks to all that helped.

SD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast