Thread: Install to HD from Live CD

Install to HD from Live CD

Okay, go the Live CD of Knoppix, ran it, love it, want to install it.. cannot figure out how know install from the Live CD?

This will probably be a stupid question, but I cannot seem to figure this one out.. I am probably looking for something a little more difficult and it is probably stupid simple.

Senior Member registered user
    It's simple but not obvious. See, Klaus Knopper and friends don't intend for Knoppix to be installed to hard drive - it's designed to be just a super live CD.

If you look around on the forum you'll see that people have problems with installation. One is that the script is a little buggy, and it forces you to install the LILO bootloader whether you want it or not.

Another is that sometimes, something that worked fine from CD will have strange problems once Knoppix is installed. Ethernet, sound, CD-ROM drives....

A third is that Knoppix points mainly to software repositories in Germany, which may not be very close to you. This is easily fixed, but it can surprise the unwary.

Finally, and most importantly, Knoppix draws from three branches of Debian Linux. Often people will install new software, or upgrade something that came with the CD, and suddenly this piece doesn't work with that piece anymore.

That's why many of us recommend installing a Linux that's all from one release of one distro. Knoppix is a re-work of Debian, and I like to recommend Debian sarge or Progeny Debian (which is an almost-pure sarge). Others suggest Kanotix, which was inspired by Knoppix (and is an almost-pure Debian sid).

Let us know if you have more questions, okay?

-- Ed

Strange, I have less problems with Knoppix. But I do not change things, that is true. I install it and use it as such. I like 3.8.1 most of all.

That's good! Knoppix is a great collection of software. Klaus Knopper wanted a portable work environment without carrying around a laptop - and you have a work environment that's not so portable, but you still don't have to carry around a laptop!

-- Ed

I agree about Kanotix. Knoppix is a great way to show someone the power that a LiveCD can have, and it's fantastic for Linux evangelism to get windows users to try out Linux without any consequences. However, like it was said before, Klaus did not design the distro for hard drive installation. For a quick install that is very similar to Knoppix in the minimal amount of effort that it takes to install it, try Kanotix