Thread: reading the register of windows from knoppix ??

reading the register of windows from knoppix ??

Hello to evry one

i'm new to knoppix and linux but i tried it and i like it a lot.

now i have this problem.
    the windows computer of a frend of my crased but thanks to knoppix i'am able to start it whit the cd .
    i saved the data he needed.
    But he is not able to find the serial number of the windows cd so he can't install it .

So my question is it posible to read the serial number that is writen in the register of windows from knoppix .

if so can some one tel me how.

Thank for your time and sorry form my bad english.

Scorp

Sorry, but your friend is out of luck. Windows 2K/XP only stores a hash of the Product ID code. Windows 95/98 do store the Product ID code in the registry.

You might try copying the registry hive files (%windows%\system32\config\[system|software] to working XP machine and run 'regedit'. From there go to File->Load Hive and select on of the two files. It will ask for a name to give it. I will load that file under "local machine\your name". If the file was corrupt, it will let you know and try to fix it. *WARNING* make sure to select the key "your name" and select File->Unload Hive before closing regedit. Otherwise, XP will try to keep the file as part of its registry. I would suggest loading and unloading both files, if either were found to be corrupt take the 'fixed' versions and copy them back to the crashed machines HD. Sometimes this will allow the machine to boot.

Or, have you friend drop his XP CD in the machine and have it boot from CD. Press any key to boot from CD (you have about 5 secs.). Skip the first repair option. Press F8 to continue and if it gives you the option to repair then press 'R' to have it do the repair. It will delete files but then replace them with known good versions from the CD. When the machine reboots and asks for a username CLICK SKIP. This way it will keep all your user settings and files intact. Sometimes this will complete without asking for the product ID. Sometimes it will won't. THis is a gamble but nothing lost compared to what your friend has now, a dead Windows installation.

slightly off topic: Check out the bootable CD for "chntpw" (sorry, can't find the URL at the moment) for a disc that edit the Windows 2K/XP registry. Its a text only distro so no fancy GUI to help you edit.

Good luck, and let me know if you need clarification
    Bfehr