Thread: HUGE THANKS!

HUGE THANKS!

I just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone here. Last week I was on vacation out of the country and while there my hard drive failed (Windows wouldn't boot). I know, I know, Windows right...

Well I didn't have a drive with me (took my extra battery instead) so I was hosed. When i got back I bought a new drive for my laptop and an external enclosure to put my dead drive in (Windows wouldn't even reinstall unless I reformatted!). So I plugged it into Windows and nada, Windows would actually hard lock.

So a friend suggested I try Knoppix (d'oh!) which I hadn't thought of yet. I did, OMFG! I'm using it now and have my other Windows PC mounted up and am copying my data accross the network now!!! So, in short you guys SAVED MY ASS!!!!!

I had hours and hours of work on here that I would have lost, but most importantly I would have lost the 600 pictures I took on my vacation, honestly I would have paid to get them back if I'd had to. But thanks to you guys I'm getting it back now!!!

As I run an open source project I know how helpful feedback is, and well while this isn't technically feedback I wanted you to know that you've saved me, I hope that puts a smile on your face!!! I'll also be posting in my forums just in case my users don't know about you guys....

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KICK ASS PRODUCT!!!!!!

Ross Carlson

Senior Member registered user
    i recomended to me friends to use it as a recovery system... its great as a recovery system (now all itneeds is a spyware, adaware, virus scanner in it, and you can do a full system recovery...)

anyway... you will be suprised that the tecnical support on linux is alot better then winodws... instead of talking to people in india who have never seen a computer, you are actually talking to (evil) people who actually know what they are talking about, and you can read apon other peoples experiences (one's like how they modded there desktops, which makes you thing... "Hey thats cool... i wanna do that", and the info is just right there).

now you know what your missing out on when using windows... please let me be the first to say welcome.. and hopefully we will be discussing more...

oh i forgot to say this... the people here are real real friendly... you might ask a simple question and only want a simple answer, and they give you back a whole entire book of information regarding every little tiny point... i was here for a little while, and already we are having fun about me advitar (good fun i mean)... (what i say either makes no sence or is really really confusing, hence not simple). and they even try to help...

Senior Member registered user
    Ross,

Another point, either you didnt know, or notice, or, then again, maybe you did, is, that with Linux, you have direct contact with the people who actually wrote the operating system.

A lot of the "tallent" that goes into the Linux Distributions, usually "hang out" in the forums, to assist, and see what problems are cropping up. Fabian hangs out here frequently, as does the writter of "Knoppix". In the case of Kanotix, which is a variant of Knoppix, the creator of that OS, Kano, hangs out frequently, as well.

When it comes to Windows Support, it usually comes down to the same thing as trying to find someone in a "Home Depot", whereas, in the "Linux" community, help is only an irc chat, or forum, away... All one has to do is just, ask.

As one final note, Ross. If Knoppix is one of the greatest "recovery" operating systems, just imagine, how good it is as your installed operating system

Ms. Cuddles