Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 3.8.2

Senior Member registered user

Knoppix 3.8.2

Distrowatch reports:

An updated version of the KNOPPIX live CD has been released. From the changelog: "V3.8.2-2005-05-05 (update): dist-upgrade; kernel 2.6.11 update; the madwifi drivers are back; kwifimanager in KNOPPIX/network menu; OpenOffice 1.1.4 security update; swapping on knoppix.swp on a NTFS partition should now work; replaced Fabian Franz' original knoppix-installer with the version from Jörg Schirottke/Kanotix; fixed SCSI drivers in bootimage." KNOPPIX 3.8.2 is available for free download: ftp://source.rfc822.org/pub/mirror/k...5-05-05-EN.iso (English, 694MB) or ftp://ftp.tu-ilmenau.de/Mirrors/knop...5-05-05-DE.iso (German, 694MB).

Additional mirrors:
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/

Dear Mr. probono,
    I recently download knoppix 3.8.2
    I tried to set up my wireless network card (linksys WPC54GS) using the same way as I did with knoppix 3.8.1 but I have not success at all (using knoppix 3.8.1 all were fine!).
    The problem seems the absent of ndiswrapper.ko kernel module !!! (that is exist at knoppix 3.8.1 -- /lib/module/2.6.11/misc/ IIRC ). {to have the PCMCIA wireless card working it is necessary to "work" using Windows XP drivers via ndiswrapper mechanism...}
    Do you knows what is happened with the above mentioned kernel module? Why the module is not there ???

Any suggestion/help will very appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Mike Kranidis

Download via edonkey/Gnutella

You can download via other p2p networks like edonkey/gnutella.
    Here are the links to to the file KNOPPIX_V3.8.2-2005-05-05-EN.iso

Magnet (Gnutella, Kazaa, Direct Connect, and others)
    magnetxt=urn:sha1:FJ4JWJIIOWMABNYGZIGHLYWFHLHGV5YH&xt=ur n:ed2k:51b8b76db5a242806089f13ab0a1cc03&xl=7272898 56&dn=KNOPPIX_V3.8.2-2005-05-05-EN.iso

ED2K (EDonkey, EMule, and others)
    ed2k://|file|KNOPPIX_V3.8.2-2005-05-05-EN.iso|727289856|51b8b76db5a242806089f13ab0a1cc03|

Junior Member registered user

Knoppix 3.8.2 SCSI-Changes? Where to get detailed Info?

The last point in newest changelog is:

- fixed SCSI drivers in bootimage

Can anybody give me a little more detailed infos about this point?
    Perhaps it will help me with my bootproblems from SCSI (described in http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18971 )

Would be nice to know since i can't burn a new cd at the moment.

Thanks.

Administrator Site Admin-

3.8.2 is now on the BIttorrent tracker

Finally, sfter several days of no Knoppix release on the tracker, the 3.8.2 release is on the official Knoppix Bittorrent tracker. Use this link or you can always find a link to it by the Get Knoppix link at the top of this page.

I'm not quite sure why it took so long for the link to be put up, and I haven't seen a lot of good things said about 3.8.2. I'm not rushing to grab this one myself and I wonder if we might not see a quick 3.8.3 release to correct the problems that have been posted about 3.8.2 (but that is just speculation on my part, I have no inside information on that). So use Bittorrent to get the latest version if you wish (it's the most reliable way to download the iso and likely will be very fast as a lot of seeders will be active in the next few days with a lot of Bittorrent activity - unlike the mirrors with Bittorent this actually improves your download speed).

Member registered user
    From the msg#1 announcement"
    ".... kernel 2.6.11 update; ....."

What is this? Updated how? Is the source used to build this kernel available? on the Knoppix site?

2.6.11.??
    what kernel.org patchlevel
    what debian patches.

BillS

Hi BillS,
    maybe we're looking for the same information:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19043
    it would be nice to see how many people are looking for the same information:
    it may be worth to have a FAQ-item if we are enough people, otherwise
    it does not seem to be possible to get an answer: I used the search tool and I just found always the same question, not an answer.

I like knoppix very much, and I would be very unhappy if I would have to use M$ instead, just to connect to the vpn (just for the new
    kernel: with the old version (knoppix 3.6 -> kernel 2.4.27 ) cisco vpn client was installing without any problem

Bruno

knoppix 3.9, knoppix 4.0, cd/dvd edition

KNOPPIX 3.9 and 4.0

Klaus Knopper has announced that work is now progressing towards KNOPPIX 4.0, a new series of the popular Linux live CD. This will be split into two editions - "Light CD" and "Maxi DVD". The "Light CD" edition will effectively be a continuation of the current 3.x series with a collection of commonly used desktop applications, but without development software. On the other hand, the "Maxi DVD" edition will come with "everything that's useful and exciting in GNU/Linux (including more supported languages)". Here are the upcoming plans: "For the first regular DVD edition of Knoppix 4.0, I'm planning to press a limited amount of manufactured DVDs again soon, hopefully in time for LinuxTag 2005 (23 - 25 June 2005), which should contain the upcoming Knoppix 3.9 stuff plus a lot of more GNU/Linux software. A few weeks later (giving the CD distributors some time to get hold of a few copies), the DVD image will also be available on selected mirrors."

Thx to Distrowatch.com for the info

who can help me out on knoppix 3.8 it's not the en version? Is there a way i can just type in lang=us and enter will that give me the en version or do i have to download it myself? Let me know thanx i would really appriciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicdragon14
    who can help me out on knoppix 3.8 it's not the en version? Is there a way i can just type in lang=us and enter will that give me the en version or do i have to download it myself? Let me know thanx i would really appriciate it.
    Scroll up! Up! Up to the top of your screen! To that Documentation link. Click it, then click on the "Cheat Codes" entry. Read, and you will find the answer to your question.

P.S. "General Support" would be a much more appropriate category in which to post this sort of question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast