Hello there,

I have been playing with Knoppix for just a few days now and come to the point to ask for some help/tips.

Been reading these forums for days, most helpfull I must say.

Seem to be having a number of issues. I'm running a WinXPsp2, Pent4 w 1GB mem and two physical drives (each with two partitions.)

i at first just ran the liveCD (started with 3.4 now use 3.81 regulerly)
I'm using an ISO image along with the grub boot utility/folder to boot from C drive of the NTSF.
(no CD needed....sweet)

I was able to make a persitent home, save my config settings and create a swap file on my second harddrive (an 80 gigger split two ways.) At the time that was doable the first partition on second drive (my Linux "home"/root?) was fat32 (I liked using that as it allowed me to share files 'tween WinXP and Linux).

It seemed to work ok....sort of. I have had these problems consistently using Knoppix3.8
I could never get the klik ("automatic" program downloading/install application to work)
Everytime I would attempt to start up firefox browser (from button in taskbar) It would freeze/crash.
It took a few times to create a "good" Persistent Home. Would freeze/stall at 96% (read where others had same issues.
Also when I tried to use (inspect my drives) with QTParted it would see 1st drive OK but would get about 80% of second drive inspected then just close the QT P app....still does it.

I then formatted/converted my "Linux" drive to ext2 (using Partition Magic in WinXP).

So here I am. Still having all those issues PLUS I can't even get to create a persis-home (stalled at 96% again)
Firefox still freezes sys and QT Parted wont complete drive insp.

I know I have much to learn. Still trying to figure what cheat codes to use for what.
Also very confused about harddrives (names) and mounting within Linux. I look at all my harddrives and I see darn near ten of um....where did they all come from? LOL

Well...Hope I don't get the "most convoluted post of the day" award but I need some knoppixknowledge.
kathankx

BTW here is the text from my Grub menu.lst file (just the first third)

title Knoppix 3.8.1 from NTFS hda1 ISO scan ramdisk=32MB
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.381/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix.381/KNOPPIX.iso myconfig=/mnt/hdb3 home=scan tohd=/dev/hdb3/ ramdisk=32768 noprompt
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.381/minirt_ntfs.gz
boot

title Memory test
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.36/memtest

title Win311 from Dos from Floppy image 1.44Mb, just for fun...
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/memdisk
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/win311.img
boot

I have been playing with it earlier today (mostly just out of curiosity). I tried to move the ISO image file from my C drive to the second drive (where I would like to park all my Linux stuff eventualy). I changed most of it back to where it was before I started tweaking the (hd0,0) parts...Never got it to work.

Would like to.................
tohd=/dev/hdb3/
But it seems that the hdb3 isnt correct (harddrive isnt mounted YET? diffrent name?

Update
I just did a knoppix-install, it seemed to work but I sure didnt like the result. after starting the install and formatting the Linux partition in a reisert or some sort format, it also installed a second grub app into the mbr of second drive.

I don't like the fact that it wants me to log in, enter password (allot depending on what I'm trying to do. And worst of all it didnt automaticaly detect all my hardware like it does when loading from my C/root/grub folder. No lan, no internet, no soundcard.....That bites.

Guess what I want to do is to keep loading knoppix from my C drive, use my second drive for Linux Persistent Home (would LOVE to use Fat32 format) and config files, swap etc.

What now?

BTW II...Think I know why klik wasnt working. It's for a LiveCD "install" only?