Thread: faster than winxp??

faster than winxp??

hi all!

i am super-new to knoppix - no linux experience at all. the reason i am here is because i depserately try to speed up my 2d renderings (called: APOPHYSIS ->win32 software). so i heard that i should give knoppix a try.
    here i am. i already have the bootable knoppix -> boot works - BUT, from here i can't get any further. is someone willing to help me implement the program so it works under knoppix???

above all, is there a chance that rendering might run faster under knoppix than under winxp????

i would be happy if someone could guide me ....

thx for baring with a newcomer

thx marcus

Senior Member registered user

Not really sure bout the program you speak of, never worked on "creating" 3D, just playing the games, and having the speed...

But, if you have a good, even nice, video card, average processor with the speed, a average amount of memory ( both on the motherboard, and on a video card ), I would say... Knoppix, Kanotix, and "Linux" as a whole, can burn the living heck out of any Windows OS.

I have an AMD64 w/ 1 GB of memory, a NVidia GeForce w/ 128 MB of memory, and have the 3D acceleration enabled within the kernel, and I get around 1000 plus FPS. On my other system, a AMD ( not 64 bit ) 1.7 GHz, with a NVidia GeForce, main memory is only 512 MB, video has the same 128 MB, and I get around 500 plus FPS. I dont think I ever got that good with any Windows OS.

As for running any "Windows" program within Linux, it can be done, and from the stories I have heard, many "Windows" programs run faster in Linux than they do in Windows. If the program doesnt require DirectX you can use Wine ( Windows Is Not Emulated ), usually comes standard in Knoppix. If the program DOES require DirectX support, then try a program called calega - its produced by a company and web site called "Trans-Gaming" - they provide a version of "Wine" that includes the "DirectX" drivers. ( Calega does cost something though, even if its pennies on the dollar, whereas, Wine is totally free )

Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: faster than winxp??

Quote Originally Posted by 149047
    the reason i am here is because i depserately try to speed up my 2d renderings (called: APOPHYSIS ->win32 software). so i heard that i should give knoppix a try.....
    I haven't used the software so I can't comment on how fast or slow it is. But 2d rendering really shouldn't be impacted much by any OS if it's written properly. A quick Google search turned up that the sources are available, but that version 2 of the code is based on Delphi. To my knowledge there is no free Delphi or Delphi-like code for Linux (I believe there is a commercial program), so getting it working under Linux would likely involve an extensive rewrite. Perhaps the program would benefit from a rewrite anyway, Delphi is far from the language of choice for rendering applications, but it's not going to be a simple case of just running the existing code under Linux and seeing a big speed improvement.

What is it that you are rendering that you feel the need is worth the effort for speeding up these 2D renderings? And how long does a typical Apophysis rendering take?