Thread: totally-usb system

totally-usb system

I understand that the basic problem with a live-CD based linux is that its slow. So i reciently got myself a 1GB memory key(or jump drive, or memory stick) and i wish to use it for all thinks Knoppix. as a roaming geek who deals mainly with messed up winXP, i just cant go all the way to install linux on my desktop, and I am to scared to try and to the whole Grub dual-boot thing. i use this comptuter almost constantly, and i can not afford any reinstalling of windows.

So i thought that i could just put the ~700 meg iso image on the stick, and allow Knoppix to boot directly from there. I know that it is possible to boot from a USB memory key, as i have a 8 meg key for booting into DOS. Is it possible to make the whole thing boot from the key? Including the "Persistant Home" file? I dont want to go through redoing the wireless settings on all these desktops (32 dells of exactly the same setup).

Is that possible? If i have missed a how-to about this, please point me to it with as little flaming as possible.

Thanks,
    Mike

Edit: i should point out that i dont want to burn the ISO to the cd before i start. can i just extract the content from the ISO and copy it directly to the freshly FAT formatted memory key? I know about "http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=64999#64999", but that requires a user to be in linux to begin with. And i am not. I dont have a cd burner nearby, and i will have to wait to go to somewhere else to burn.

Senior Member registered user
    If you are worried about speed why not stick 1Gb of ram in your PC and boot knoppix with the knoppix toram option?
    Then you can load knoppix into RAM, take out the CDROM and have very fast performance running knoppix from RAM.
    (You actually only need 828Mb of RAM or more to do this).
    Regards,
    Mark

well, i could do that, but:
    -the 32 dells have 512 meg ram. not an option to purchase 16384 (512*32) megs (or 16GB) of ram to add to all the computers.
    -i do not have access to a CD burner. i am one of them people who dislikes burning cds.
    -preformance is not a major issue, just something i pointed out.
    -i cant store my "Persistant Home" files on the cd. that would require me recreating everthing, and then redoing the wireless configuration, proxy info, along with not having my uber cool wallpapers and settings.
    -and i already have the 1GB memory key. in my hand.

basically, for now, i need a rawrite for memory keys. and i have rawrite, and it only writes to floppies. or prehaps i can fool the computer to think that the memory key is a cd burner. then i can write the ISO that way. gaaa, i hate windows.

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: totally-usb system

Quote Originally Posted by HackMaster
    I understand that the basic problem with a live-CD based linux is that its slow. So i reciently got myself a 1GB memory key.... I know about "http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=64999#64999", but that requires a user to be in linux to begin with. And i am not. I dont have a cd burner nearby, and i will have to wait to go to somewhere else to burn.
    I agree, adding memory to 32 systems just to run Knoppix doesn't make sense. But you are certainly making things hard for yourself. It's amazing to see someone who calls himself HackMaster who then states "i am one of them people who dislikes burning cds" (as if there is a large number of such people). Knoppix is intended as a live CD and a Live CD would see ideal for your situation. Any yet you, with access to 32 systems refuse to use a CD? Maybe you'll be able to get Knoppix to work from a USB device. But maybe not. Some systmes just seem to refuse to boot from a USB flash device (even when there is BIOS support for booting from USB, which isn't always the case). You haven't even tried Knoppix from a CD, but state that you think it is slow. Perhaps you should try it before deciding against it.

If, after actually trying to run from a CD, you still find the speed to be an issue, you might consider other options that would still let you do a toram boot. For example, if you are doing this as the HackMaster to try to resolve problems on those 32 systems, them you likely will not need or want some of the packages included in Knoppix like Open Office. A smaller Knopppix Based Live CD distro with a good compliment of recovery tools might server you better and would let you do a boot with the toram option, even without adding memory to those 32 systems. DSL is one such option, but it's not the only choice. More details on your situatuion would be needed to make the best choice. But I very much doubt that speed will be an issue at all. And I expect that a CD will be much faster than a USB device if those 32 computers without CD burners have USB 1.1 rather than USB 2.

If you're going to post that you hate windows, then quite gripeing about how you dislike burning CDs and actually burn a Knoppix CD (follow the instructions given here many many times rather than assuming that the HackMaster don't need no stinkin' instructions) and give it a try instead of saying that you have found how to do what you want under Knoppix but you want to know how to do it under Windows.

um, right. a bit harsh, but i guess you have every right to do that. I am encroaching your territory. I burnt Knoppix. and i used it. and i liked it. I just want to upgrade the linux kernel. I was not asking majorlely complex questions. Just one. Its plenty fast for me. I just dont like CDs. and ok, fine. ill burn the damn cd. but then i gotta have the same Memory key for the settings file (the dells do not have floppy drives). so, why not remove the cd, and have it in one nice ready easy-to-use format. and when i got finished with it, i was gonna write me a how-to for you wiki. this seems to be a somewhat common thing, trying to install a full self-supporting ready-made Knoppix(or variant) on a Cruzer Mini memory key. and there is even a guy with a 4 gb one who wanted to install debian onto the thing directly! he got around by putting the ISOs on his hard drive and did something funky which i could not figure out. too bad, because i would do that.

and for the name, its an old RPG game. http://www.kenzerco.com/rpg/hackmaster/. and i know lots about internet and all its working, not linux. I am so sorry that i dont know as much as you. and I am sorry that i cant be just like everyone else and do everything by the book. If i wanted to go the easy way, i would exit out of this tab, and go back to making my PHP chatroom.

now, i will be the good person, and get back on topic.

does anyone know of a program, or how to, write an ISO image to anything other than a CD. To be more specific, write the boot part (MBR?)

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by HackMaster
    um, right. a bit harsh, but i guess you have every right to do that. I am encroaching your territory. .....)
    Well you're certainly not encroaching on my teritory, and if I was harsh I'm sorry. You just seemed like you needed a shove in the direction of burning your first Knoppix CD. Your pervious post said that you had not burnt Knoppix and indicated that you were not going to, and a lot of your issues seemed like they would be resolved by actually trying it.

As to getting a MBR on a USB flash device: I have not yet been able to get this to work myself with my HP notebook that supposedly can boot from USB in the BIOS settings. I don't have a 1 gig device but have been trying to get smaller 64 meg and 215 meg dvices botable with smaller distros. You might find some of the links in this thread helpful, please post back if you do with any progress: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7068

You may still be best server by a CD with Knoppix on it (or a smaller distro if you want to do a toram boot) and then using your USB flash memory device to hold any extra tools you want for your particular network needs. But trying to get the USB device bootable is certainly a worthwhile thing to do, just something few seem to have good sucess at.

Possibility

DSL has an install to usb key script or something. Might that help?

I have a USB mp3 player of 40GB HD look here to see what I have done.

http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.p...4bd33335bd7772